Cross 3.4.3 vs Cross 4 - where are we now?

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Cross 3.4.3 vs Cross 4 - where are we now?

Postby rhopkins on 31 Jan 2021, 08:42

So a couple of years after the release of Cross 4, how does it compare to 3.4.3?

I've always found the latter to be extremely stable and as I've posted recently I was relived it worked well (for now) with the Apple M1 chip.

But I do get a sense that I might be missing out by using DJ software that is 4 years old.

When I last tried the Cross 4 demo upon its release their seemed to be a few issues, but I wondered how far it progressed?

[*]Anyone know if it is M1 compatible including with hardware?
[*]I could be wrong, but I thought initially there was something wrong with how effects were applied?
[*]Is there full compatibility with the U-Mix Control Pro 2?
[*]I see semi-regularly that requests for Cross 4 manual are met with a negative reply - is there REALLY no manual for it?
[*]Is Cross 4 dead, as in there aren't going to be further updates to it?
[*]Finally - and this is the big one - for those that stayed loyal to 3.4.3, is 4 now better or best to stay with what I have?

FWIW I'd upgrade to Cross DJ 4 because its unlikely I'm going to be using timecode vinyl again anytime soon.
MacBook Pro - 15" (Mid 2014)
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Re: Cross 3.4.3 vs Cross 4 - where are we now?

Postby RoJeC on 31 Jan 2021, 12:32

rhopkins wrote:...I wondered how far it progressed?

[*]Anyone know if it is M1 compatible including with hardware?
[*]I could be wrong, but I thought initially there was something wrong with how effects were applied?
If I recall right this has been fixed. Now all 3 per deck are applied.
[*]Is there full compatibility with the U-Mix Control Pro 2?
This is technically not really possible. Cross 'talks' to the driver if present in the OS. As the manufacturer of the the U-Mix Control Pro isn't MW it will only work till the OS change driver standards.
[*]I see semi-regularly that requests for Cross 4 manual are met with a negative reply - is there REALLY no manual for it?
no. Last manual is v2.6 with additions in Youtube for later versions. (I must ad mit as owner of some software titels I also stopped this as it's extremely costly and holds back devellopment)
[*]Is Cross 4 dead, as in there aren't going to be further updates to it?
[*]Finally - and this is the big one - for those that stayed loyal to 3.4.3, is 4 now better or best to stay with what I have?

FWIW I'd upgrade to Cross DJ 4 because its unlikely I'm going to be using timecode vinyl again anytime soon.

For me v4 just doesn't do it. For starters I find the grid hard to read and further to me the buttons and features more or less are randomized/hard to find. Also some (for me) relevant buttons don't exist no more but fortunately still accessible by MIDI/Keyboard. I merely use v4 for answering question in the forum.

I suppose one of the worst issues is that they had to use a new grid development tool that doesn't have the capability to support the 'layers' per row the old version had so unnecessary rows had to be added to get the buttons (most) available at all.

I did some testing of modifying the grid to get it better as initially the product was supposed to have this as a feature. I did get it some better for me (I e.g. changed fonts/sizes/back&foregrounds) with the objective to get it towards my favorite design (the v1.7 version :redface: ). However as I didn't know if there was a way to compare this for upgrades I just quit this and went back to 3.4.3.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby rhopkins on 31 Jan 2021, 13:19

Sounds like I should stick with what I have.

A little surprised about the Control Pro 2. It’s Mixvibes hardware but it sounds like you’re saying it isn’t fully supported?
MacBook Pro - 15" (Mid 2014)
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Postby RoJeC on 31 Jan 2021, 15:07

The U-Mix Control Pro was designed by/with MV in the era DJ controllers hardly existed. Like a lot of devices from the 00's it's a matter of time before new developments end backward compatibility.
E.g. MS changed audio specs in current OS versions which made it impossible for old soundcards to function (or just with limited functionality using the default MS driver).
Both mem and chip specs likely are not even capable of holding the firmware that would be needed to work with 32bit+.

Nowadays controllers are developped by quite some manufacturers (though not as many as a few years ago).
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Hanginon on 07 Feb 2021, 16:05

rhopkins wrote:So a couple of years after the release of Cross 4, how does it compare to 3.4.3?

250 Licenses sold worldwide for V4.2 vs 2996 for V3.4.3 should tell you something!!

For most of us, V4 was DOA. We have raised issue after issue about it, both here on the Forum, as well (in my case) private PM's to "THE TEAM". ZERO response!

The other major DJ software's have fixed their issues, have stayed current with hardware integration, plus some have moved to Neural Mixing (real-time stems).
#fixV4.2
Hanginon

Postby ldorio on 10 Mar 2021, 11:53

Hanginon wrote:
rhopkins wrote:For most of us, V4 was DOA. We have raised issue after issue about it, both here on the Forum, as well (in my case) private PM's to "THE TEAM". ZERO response!

At this point, just give me Cross 3.5 with a couple of fixes for the nagging bugs, and I'll call it a day. I swore by 3.4.3 for so long.
ldorio

Postby Hanginon on 10 Mar 2021, 14:34

ldorio wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
rhopkins wrote:For most of us, V4 was DOA. We have raised issue after issue about it, both here on the Forum, as well (in my case) private PM's to "THE TEAM". ZERO response!

At this point, just give me Cross 3.5 with a couple of fixes for the nagging bugs, and I'll call it a day. I swore by 3.4.3 for so long.

I agree 100%. I still DJ with V3.4.3 - I've been able to work around a few of it's idiosyncrasies - but I'd sure welcome an official V3.5 that incorporates some fixes, i.e., an option after Analysis to have a song still que up at the beginning, or Played songs change color in the browser. Maybe someone reading this is smart enough to reverse-engineer V3.4.3 and continue working on the Code.

Unfortunately, Mixvibes themselves no longer sells Licenses for Version 3, and I don't think they're courageous enough to admit the release of V4 (as currently configured) was a mistake. Cross DJ no longer even shows up on Digital DJ Tips annual survey. The French used to be known as being so Honest that it was often perceived as being Rude - that is certainly not the case here!
Last edited by Hanginon on 14 May 2021, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Hanginon

Postby jonas76 on 03 Apr 2021, 19:20

I've stuck with Cross for a long time, but it's time to move on. We've been treated like idiots. Traktor seems to be the best alternative to me. Bye!
From the country that invented New Beat ;)
jonas76

Postby Hanginon on 03 Apr 2021, 20:54

jonas76 wrote:I've stuck with Cross for a long time, but it's time to move on. We've been treated like idiots. Traktor seems to be the best alternative to me. Bye!

I have actually done the same thing.

I DJ'd two weeks ago for the first time in over a year, and V3.4.3 crashed two times. The only real change in the last year is a gazillion Windows 10 updates, and since I'm never going back to Windows 7, it's also time I moved on.

I also chose Traktor - Traktor Pro V3.4.2 - their latest. It now has color in the Browser, Smart Playlists, "Elastique Pro 3" Time Stretching (sounds really good) and the GUI can be made to look like like an updated Cross DJ V3.

Good Luck to all who remain here!
Last edited by Hanginon on 14 May 2021, 11:36, edited 2 times in total.
Hanginon

Postby jonas76 on 03 Apr 2021, 22:53

Hanginon wrote:
I DJ'd two weeks ago for the first time in over a year, and V3.4.3 crashed two times. The only real change in the last year is a gazillion Windows 10 updates, and since I'm never going back to Windows 7, it's also time I moved on.

I also chose Traktor - Traktor Pro V3.4.2 - their latest. It now has color in the Browser, Smart Playlists, "Elastique Pro 3" Time Stretching (sounds really good) and the GUI can be made to look like like an updated Cross DJ V3.

Good Luck to all who remain here!

Exactly. At some point you gotta say enough is enough. See you on the other forum mate. Traktor looks good indeed!
From the country that invented New Beat ;)
jonas76

Next

Return to Community Support