Shift modifiers - per controller?

Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Shift modifiers - per controller?

Postby dnine on 15 Apr 2019, 22:01

Hi,

I have a set of modular controllers (Behringer CMD series) and noticed that enabling a Shift Logic modifier on one controller affects the others as well.
Is this expected behavior?
This means a LOT of extra/duplicate mapping work when a Shift button on one controller affects all the others as well.
Is there any way to limit/scope the Shift modifiers to a controller?

Edit: follow-up question: is there a way to have specific messages handles regardless of what the Shift modifiers might be active? So instead of creating a mapping with all possible combinations, have one where the Shift is ignore for certain controls?

Regards,
Lieven
dnine

Re: Shift modifiers - per controller?

Postby FigDJ on 16 Apr 2019, 14:39

dnine wrote:Hi,

I have a set of modular controllers (Behringer CMD series) and noticed that enabling a Shift Logic modifier on one controller affects the others as well.
Is this expected behavior?

Unfortunately, that is the current behavior if you have one map for all the modules.
I would suggest you try to do separate mapping for each module and on a different channel if you can.

For example
Deck1= Map for Named controller 1 on Channel 1
Deck2= Map for named controller 2 on Channel 2

Can't guarantee the result that you want but I think is worth a try.

dnine wrote:This means a LOT of extra/duplicate mapping work when a Shift button on one controller affects all the others as well.
Is there any way to limit/scope the Shift modifiers to a controller?

There is no way to limit the scope of the modifiers unless you are using separate mapping files. I would suggest to use the Shift modifiers in temporary conditions and use the Shift selector in on/off toggle conditions.

dnine wrote:Edit: follow-up question: is there a way to have specific messages handles regardless of what the Shift modifiers might be active? So instead of creating a mapping with all possible combinations, have one where the Shift is ignore for certain controls?

Sorry,that is a drawback (that I find) of using shift modifiers in on/off toggle modes or conditions.
FigDJ

Postby dnine on 16 Apr 2019, 14:51

Thanks FigDJ I'll give it a shot.
I was thinking of using a different channel to alleviate part of the problem.
The Shift states are application wide I'm afraid, so even with a different mapping they will be active there as well...
dnine

Postby FigDJ on 16 Apr 2019, 17:21

I know but I was thinking that perhaps naming the controller file and device differently in the mapping could work in conjunction to using different channels.
FigDJ

Return to Mapping Midi