Cross Pro 4.2 Support 24bit 192kHz

Suggest features and improvements

Cross Pro 4.2 Support 24bit 192kHz

Postby soundboyrich on 28 May 2020, 05:45

Lots of soundcards, even computer motherboards now playback at 24bit 192kHz.

Cross Pro 4.2 doesn't even have a menu drop down for 192kHz. If your soundcard is set to that, result is crash SW.
soundboyrich

Re: Cross Pro 4.2 Support 24bit 192kHz

Postby RoJeC on 28 May 2020, 16:41

Crashing of course should not happen. While not supported it should just not work.

You might have a good reason to use this, but in most circumstances it's overkill of the overkill.

You create an enormous additional CPU load without having any improvement in the quality of the dynamics of the speaker output.

And this will only apply when using a setup of high end equipment in close to perfect (silent) acoustic rooms with dolby (or similar) setup.

And you'll have to start with sources (tracks) that are original recordings at this bit and frequency level. So 100MB files will considered be 'small'. By this a hugh hdd capacity will be needed as well.

Using the 24/192 as source usually is done (as potentially useful) when using multitrack soundeditors. This allowes for extreem stretching of samples (wet or dry) while keeping above the 44100

If you have issues with soundquality you best start using source which are at least like 1000kbps@44100 (till 96000). And be aware that you cannot 'upgrade' a track by converting to a higher level. You really need better sources.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby soundboyrich on 21 Jun 2020, 02:01

Ronald, I totally disagree with you on this.

My 2013 laptop has a Realtek ALC892 audio chip, the chip support 24bit 192kHz IN/OUT! I could use my laptop motherboard to transfer VINYL audio at 24bit 192kHz. 24bit 192kHz is special because that is the limit of human perception on detecting sound difference, like location and distance away, aka transients. I plan to rerecord my entire record collection and records I'm still collecting to 24bit 192kHz. If I have DJ software that cannot play the source file, I have no need for that DJ software.

https://www.realtek.com/en/products/computer-peripheral-ics/item/alc892

I don't see how 24bit 192kHz can be processing overkill. Don't we analyze all our tracks prior. As we add tracks we analyze. Slow processors can now handle this format.

I not trying to be a snobbish guy here. Just that its been hard telling every DJ software to support a file format that been around a long time, matured and now the everyday user has power to create such file. Forget about processing power, its surpassing software, software is what behind!
Last edited by soundboyrich on 21 Jun 2020, 02:16, edited 2 times in total.
soundboyrich

Postby soundboyrich on 21 Jun 2020, 02:05

Moreover, Ronald
Between double quotes, I posted the following on Mixxx forum asking the same issue.

""
I am requesting that Mixxx provide 24bit 192kHz support. Virtual DJ supports 24bit 192kHz, there maybe other DJ SW supporting the format too.

SMH when I read this from the user manual. Downloads maybe silly but capability to playback is not.
----------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE "For a more thorough and technical explanation of why 16 bits at 44.1 kHz is all that is needed for playback, read
24/192 Music Downloads Are Very Silly Indeed."
---------------------------------------------------------------

15 YRS AGO I RECORDED MY VINYL COLLECTION, I WANT THE BETTER TRANSFER OF MY VINYL NOW THAT I HAVE BETTER EQUIPMENT.
In mid year 2000, I transfer vinyl at 16bit 48kHz (I was in a hurry). I can do a much better job today to preserve the vinyl. I plan to do my entire collection again (not everything) at 24bit, 192kHz. This require cleaning of vinyl and saving the file to WAV or FLAC format. (Hearing is the only sensory that operates as fast as 10usec. All other bodily sensors are at least 100X slower. 24bit, 192kHz sampling meets the 10us criteria. Example, your out in the woods area alone, you hear a twig snap, you can sense distance and location in 10us timeframe. Same procedure when critically listening to music, you must have good source, obviously, and good (high fidelity) audio hardware. I'm always improving my sound system, over the years, my ear have less tolerance for garbage in garbage out audio.)

YOUR GOING TO FORCE ME TO DOWN SAMPLE JUST TO USE MIXXX. NOW I HAVE TO KEEP 2 COPIES, ORIGINAL AND DOWNSAMPLE. CLUTTER.
If I sampled at 192kHz and DJ software does not support that, now I must down convert 96kHz just because DJ software does not support the samplerate. Meanwhile audiofiles get to playback files that DJ can't playback. Check out your typical motherboard soundcard, in this year 2020, most will support 24bit , 192kHz playback. Why can't DJ software do this as yet.

I WANT TO LISTEN TO HIGHER QUALITY AUDIO, i CAN DEFINITELY HEAR A DIFFERENCE OF 16BIT 44KHZ VS 24BIT 192KHZ.
I made recording, analyzed the waveform and listen comparison using a switch (SW or HW) to compare what I'm hearing. 24bit, 192kHz sound better. I don't care about file size, 250MB size WAV or FLAC file, equates to 1TeraByte/250M = 40,000 lossless music files. Tera=1Xe12, 1,000,000,000,000,000

MY CPU & SOUNDCARD HARDWARE CAN EASILY HANDLE THE PROCESSING OF HIGH QUALITY AUDIO FILES.
Check out the Audio chip on your desktop PC or laptop motherboard, it's likely to handle 24bit, 192kHz playback multichannel. 96kHz samplerate is quite ubiquitous in DJ hardware now. My speaker sound processor is at 96kHz, My Pioneer EFX-1000 at 96kHz. I use an analog mixer cus it sounds way better but companies are making all digital mixer at 96kHz internal digital sampling. 96kHz equipment will get replaced at some point, manufacture will make it so cheap that 192kHz or even 384kHz will become attainable by the semi-pro.

I WANT TO PRESERVE AS MUCH OF MY OLD MUSIC THAT TODAY CANNOT BE REPLICATED IN PLAYBACK BY TODAYS DJ-PRODUCER/MUSICIAN OR IN ELECTRONICS MUSIC PRODUCTION.

MY ENTIRE COLLECTION OF MUSIC IS NOT 24BIT 192KHZ, BUT I WANT THE CAPABILITY TO PLAYBACK THE DAME FILES IF I HAVE THEM.
Will I still have my collection of mp3 320kbps files? Of course, I get plenty from my record pool. Sometimes the pool will release a throwback aka oldie-but-goldie record and the transfer is not great.

With that said, I am going to begin to pull boxes at a time of my vinyl collection, clean using wet sponge (vinegar based cleaning), rinse with running water, dry with cotton cloth. Technics 1200, Nagaoka MP-150 cartridge, Schitt Mani phono preamp, Bozak 102DL mixer, using Tracktion and Audicity recording software proceed to transfer hand picked vinyl. This is alot of work but my passion. (Why should I have to down-sample just because DJ software doesn't support the format?) Besides that I can hear a difference using the higher quality audio compared to the transferred I did years ago.
""
soundboyrich

Return to Suggestions