canned BPM Detection Range

Suggest features and improvements

canned BPM Detection Range

Postby soundboyrich on 28 Aug 2019, 05:14

Cross all version BPM Detection ranges out of whack for what I need. My record collection is like the following but Cross has 3 ranges, slow 50-100, standard 75-150, fast 100-200. It appears these ranges where chosen based on popular round numbers but have no correlation to my vinyl, mp3 or wav bpm. I want to set the ranges using start and end number and not a drop down box.

Hip hop 55-115
R&B 50-120
Reggae 60-115
Dancehall 75-125
Disco 100- 133
House 100 - 135
Drum&bass 115-160
Soca 115- 190

Also, I keep telling DJ software companies, there is no need to analyze an entire song to calculate the bpm. THIS IS TOO SLOW. I should be able to set start analysis position and stop position. Some music genres typically has an intro (8 bars or 20sec) that can be skipped. Some intros are just soft sounds and no kick drum etc etc.
soundboyrich

Re: canned BPM Detection Range

Postby RoJeC on 28 Aug 2019, 23:54

Your suggestion would require that all tracks have the proper genre tag at the moment of analysis.
Also you want to set values for each genre. This might be a bit complicated as it would require you to set values for the 254 genres that are predefined by international standards.

WHereas the 3 ranges basically are mathemaical determined.

The analysis process does more than grid only so it will have to be executed. For that it is suggested to always (try) to do this in advance. This lso prevents peakload of the CPU while live perfroming.

In the decks you can open the editor to use the x2 and /2 to change wrong BPM in one click.

Having ranges that are smaller smallest*2=largest value cannot be used as it may lead to undetermined values.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby soundboyrich on 29 Aug 2019, 06:29

I don't want to use genre for BPM analysis. I want to set the range to analyze manually. This was done in MixVibes Pro etc. A "Start" and "Stop" box to determine range.

The x2 and /2 helps somewhat but again tedious after awhile. The 3 ranges are separated by 75, 100, 150. Lots of music falls into the 100 range where Cross begins or ends analysis. 150 - 200 (fast) is ridiculous high for most of my music I seriously play.

And again, no need to analyze the entire song from beginning to end. Its processor calculation waste.
soundboyrich

Postby RoJeC on 29 Aug 2019, 08:46

The grid is also needed for seek, loops and forward/backward jumps to be done at the beat as good as possible. For this the wle grid has to be set.

The MixVibes Pro software development ended over 15 years ago. In Cross you find a lot less parameters to be set.
As with any algorithm the parameters you mention also don't always get the grid right. So simplifying the options and using manual override remains the alternative.

May be using the Tap feature might work better for you. By this you can set the BPM by tapping. For smaller sets of new tracks this may be more reliable than depending on the build in function.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby soundboyrich on 30 Aug 2019, 02:32

The 3 BPM ranges are a bad idea, its just not flexible enough.

I don't use the gridlines... not needed. I still use MixVibes version 6.394 by the way for real DJ sets. I like the color scheme and not alot of unnecessary controller centric button in my way. I cut away from MV once it became Producer...

MixVibes6.394.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soundboyrich

Postby soundboyrich on 30 Aug 2019, 02:40

Actual setup of MixVibes still in use... Cross hasn't really work for me. I'm researching Cross again.

MixVibes6.394GUI.png

When I want to narrow the BPM analysis I can do that here in MixVibes Options. Nothing new.

MixVibes6.394Options.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soundboyrich

Postby soundboyrich on 10 Sep 2019, 04:02

I clean up all my mp3... whatever files tags, using genres, artist, title etc prior to presenting to Cross or any DJ software and delete the bloat from the tags software puts in.

I'm changing my suggestion, which is now clearer, to use a bpm analysis using a label(aka genre) and the label set to a range. I know there are too many genres to count right now but DJ's usually stick to a few that are played most times.

I looked at my chart above and noticed if I could have Cross look at the genre and use the range (setup by the user) to determine bpm, like I posted above. Oh yes, I always clean up my tags before I let DJ software analyze music. I never saved tags to the music files (keeps out the clutter) that other DJ software is notorious for... This would eliminate the need for 1/2X or 2X the bpm calculation.

Hip hop 55-115
R&B 50-120
Reggae 60-115
Dancehall 75-125
Disco 100- 133
House 100 - 135
Drum&bass 115-160
Soca 115- 190

Doesn't Cross already write the BPM tag, TBPM, alone by itself or does Cross put a customize labelled bpm tag? If so would be faster to just write the TBPM tag, no more and done.
soundboyrich

Return to Suggestions