Archiving Vinyl

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Archiving Vinyl

Postby fostex on 24 Apr 2008, 07:16

Hello, just purchased and installed the U46MK2 and was wondering how everyone goes about archiving their vinyl with this usb device.
I'm using one turntable connected directly to the phono input of the U46MK2 connected to my computer with the latest drivers. (U46MK2 input switch set to phono)
I am using sound forge 9 to record my vinyl but the recordings are clipping way too much. they sound like crap!
i know that there is no way to lower the phono input volumes with the U46MK2 control panel.
but is there any other way to lower the phono input levels?
Is there something i am missing? or is there a better recording software to use when recording my vinyl to my computer?
has anyone else had this problem?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
fostex

Re: Archiving Vinyl

Postby Double D on 24 Apr 2008, 11:55

Try to low the record level in soundforge.
MIXVIBES DVS v6.394
U46MK2 Drivers 1.0.30
Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz - 1024 Mo DDR2
Double D

Postby fostex on 25 Apr 2008, 18:56

Ive tried doing that, there is no input recording volume setting for sound forge.
There is one for audacity and I tried lowering the level through the software but that doesnt fix the clipping.
The clipping is still there just lowered and it sounds distortion when lowered with software, either with sound forge after recording or with audacity while recording.
i will have to post a picture or a print screen to show what is happening.
I wish i could lower the input volume at the source where the turntable goes into the phono input of the u46mk2
I really would hate to have to put a mixer in between the u46mk2 and the turntable, but there seems like there is no other solution since the u46mk2 control panel can only raise the phono input level from 0 db to however high it can go instead of lowering the phono level.
very frustrating.
fostex

Postby fostex on 27 Apr 2008, 07:04

So, this is whats happening when i record with sound forge
See how the recording is way off the charts.

This is when i lower the volume through the recording software, either during or after
Notice how the volume is reduced by 1.5 db, yet the recording sounds distorted.

If i use sound forge's clip peak restoration, like so...
There is a much better result, yet only the lower frequencies, such as the thumping bass, is still sounding distorted.

I have tried saving all 3 samples and transferring them to another computer with a different sound card but i still get the same results.
There's gotta be someone out there who has archived their vinyl using the u46mk2
fostex

Postby Double D on 27 Apr 2008, 21:54

Try to record the output of your mixer, this will be easier to control.
MIXVIBES DVS v6.394
U46MK2 Drivers 1.0.30
Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz - 1024 Mo DDR2
Double D

Postby richjoh on 27 Apr 2008, 22:18

First let me say I don't use Sound Forge. Most software has an input level control you can adjust. You need to lower the recording level. When recording, no sound should go over 0.0 dbm DIGITAL level. I don't use the uk46..bla bla, so its converting your phono level to line, if you can adjust it, this will do the trick also.

If you want a really pristine transfer from vinyl to digital you really need to record at twice (2X) the sampling rate your going to save the file in. There are also 2 steps that should be done to get this correct after recording. When saving you need to down-convert the sampling rate (e.g. 96kHz to 48kHz or 88Khz to 44kHz) and normalize (raise play level to 0.0 dbm) the song. (Although I think the uk46 does 44kHz and no higher you'll still be OK). Like I said if you want the best tranfer from vinyl this is the way to go.

If you vinyl is scratching, you may want to set the level somewhat high (no normalizing) so that audio does not exceed the brick 0.0 dbm wall, cus normalizing with software won't do it properly

My recording software (like Traction) also remove any dead silence at the beginning or end if I choose. Hopefully SoundForge can noramlize and remove any silence at the end.
Bozak 102DLA Mixer, Mackie d2,
Technics 1200 MKIII,
Echo Firewire 4, Firewire 8
Pentium M 2GHz, 2GB RAM
richjoh

Postby fostex on 24 May 2008, 00:03

so i take it that no one has used the u46mk2 to archive their vinyl collection... :|
fostex

Return to General Chat