How to sync BPM's of Remixvideo to Cross DJ BPM's

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

How to sync BPM's of Remixvideo to Cross DJ BPM's

Postby ottodj on 27 Mar 2018, 19:01

I have the Remixvideo demo and am trying to make the video's that are playing sync in time with the BPM's of the music playing in Cross DJ. With no user manual for Remixvideo it's hard to figure this out. Anybody??
ottodj

Re: How to sync BPM's of Remixvideo to Cross DJ BPM's

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 01 Apr 2018, 05:22

Hello Otto,

There are two ways you can sync Remixvideo to the BPM of Cross DJ.

The first is by using Ableton Link, which can be enabled by checking the "Display Ableton Link" box in the settings for Remixvideo and Cross DJ. Once displayed you only need to click the "Link" button in both programs and have both machines connected to the same WiFi network. It should connect automatically and BPM info is sent both ways so any change in either program will be sent to the other.

The second is simpler but works well in my testings. You can have Remixvideo follow the BPM of a stereo audio input by enabling the setting like in this shot:
Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 8.20.15 PM.png

You can use a sound card and run an analog output from Cross DJ to Remixvideo for the best results but it worked for me with my laptops built in microphone.

Let me know if you need any more help and here are the FAQs for Remixvideo to help with any other questions:
http://resources.mixvibes.com/livepad/faq/faq_remixvideo_mac.pdf
http://resources.mixvibes.com/livepad/faq/faq_remixvideo_pc.pdf

Best regards,
Adam @Mixvibes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@MixVibes gives no support on the forums including via PM
Team@Mixvibes

Postby ottodj on 02 Apr 2018, 19:07

[quote="Team@Mixvibes"]Hello Otto,

There are two ways you can sync Remixvideo to the BPM of Cross DJ.

The first is by using Ableton Link, which can be enabled by checking the "Display Ableton Link" box in the settings for Remixvideo and Cross DJ. Once displayed you only need to click the "Link" button in both programs and have both machines connected to the same WiFi network. It should connect automatically and BPM info is sent both ways so any change in either program will be sent to the other.

The second is simpler but works well in my testings. You can have Remixvideo follow the BPM of a stereo audio input by enabling the setting like in this shot:

You can use a sound card and run an analog output from Cross DJ to Remixvideo for the best results but it worked for me with my laptops built in microphone.

Let me know if you need any more help and here are the FAQs for Remixvideo to help with any other questions:

Best regards,
Adam @Mixvibes

Hi Adam, I already tried the Ableton link with both Cross DJ and Mixvibesvideo they link together, but it does not work, always shows 120 BPM in Mixvibesvideo and a different BPM in Cross DJ. Both of the buttons for BPM and Audio both say "Use line in audio", and do nothing when I use them. The only thing that works is the TAP button which will change the BPM's in Mixvibesvideo. I can change the BPM's manually in either program by using the + or - buttons and they change in both programs respectively, but will not sync with the BPM's of the song playing in CrossDJ, also the Master button in CrossDJ will not work with the Ableton Link activated. If the Ableton link is active shouldn't both programs be BPM synced?, AND YES they are so how do I get Mixvibesvideo to sync with the song playing in CrossDJ?? Is there something else I'm missing??

Thanks for the help!!
ottodj

Postby redocoder on 07 Apr 2018, 00:06

I am wondering the same thing, how do I get the ableton link to sync with the BPM info from the Cross player, is this possible?
redocoder

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 07 Apr 2018, 19:16

Hi guys!

Right now Ableton link acts as a master tempo for Cross DJ if you are using sync on both decks. So when using link you would need to adjust the tempo with the link + & - buttons, to the tempo of the track before hitting sync, this would adjust the tempo in all other Ableton link synced apps.

I tried MIDI mapping the controls in Cross but it didn't seem to work. You might be able to map them in Remixvideo and since link communication is two-way any BPM changes in one app will change the BPM in the other.

Unfortunately, right now that is the only way Ableton Link works in Cross DJ. I do think that it would be useful for a setting option, where Ableton Link can read the master deck BPM, instead of becoming the master deck and can bring it up with the team this week.

Syncing Remixvideo to Cross DJ with a live audio input is the easier way to get Remixvideo to sync to Cross DJs BPM. How to set this up will depend on what hardware you have and if you are using both programs on one machine or separate.

If you are using Remixvideo on a laptop and the audio is loud enough you can try using the built-in microphone as the input, as shown here:
Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 10.13.47 AM.png

Let me know some more details about your setup and I can try and explain how to set everything up in the best way and help figure out any issues you might still be having.

Adam @Mixvibes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@Mixvibes

Postby redocoder on 07 Apr 2018, 21:54

Team@Mixvibes wrote:Hi guys!

Right now Ableton link acts as a master tempo for Cross DJ if you are using sync on both decks. So when using link you would need to adjust the tempo with the link + & - buttons, to the tempo of the track before hitting sync, this would adjust the tempo in all other Ableton link synced apps.

I tried MIDI mapping the controls in Cross but it didn't seem to work. You might be able to map them in Remixvideo and since link communication is two-way any BPM changes in one app will change the BPM in the other.

Unfortunately, right now that is the only way Ableton Link works in Cross DJ. I do think that it would be useful for a setting option, where Ableton Link can read the master deck BPM, instead of becoming the master deck and can bring it up with the team this week.

Syncing Remixvideo to Cross DJ with a live audio input is the easier way to get Remixvideo to sync to Cross DJs BPM. How to set this up will depend on what hardware you have and if you are using both programs on one machine or separate.

If you are using Remixvideo on a laptop and the audio is loud enough you can try using the built-in microphone as the input, as shown here:
Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 10.13.47 AM.png

Let me know some more details about your setup and I can try and explain how to set everything up in the best way and help figure out any issues you might still be having.

Adam @Mixvibes

Thanks for the quick reply. The method you described with the audio line-in using RemixVideo does not work to automatically change the BPM of the Ableton link. We are needing the Ableton Link to act as slave and Cross to act as the master MIDI Clock. It would also be nice to have a MIDI timecode option as well.

Thanks,
redocoder
Last edited by redocoder on 08 Apr 2018, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
redocoder

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 08 Apr 2018, 04:29

Hi redocoder,

Sorry I didn't clarify better, I meant to explain that the audio line-in method is independent of Ableton Link. If you use the audio line-in method, it will listen to the audio input live (in this case the master mix from Cross DJ would be ideal or a record out on a mixer) and detect any BPM changes, thus acting as a slave to Cross DJ.

Also if Ableton Link is enabled it will override the audio line-in BPM and then you won't see any BPM changes.

Make sure the BPM button is activated like in my first post, the AUDIO button is to set audio reactive generators to listen to the same audio input that will be analyzed for BPM info (if the BPM button is activated).

If you let me know some more about how you are using the two (ie what hardware and on the same machine or separate?) I can try and help troubleshoot any issues and come up with the best way to get things routed.

Adam @Mixvibes
Thank You!
Team@Mixvibes

Postby redocoder on 08 Apr 2018, 09:11

I am trying to use the MIDI BPM Clock of Cross to control the MIDI BPM clock in Resolume so that when I pause or move the turntable it is synced in both software and when I launch clips in Resolume it is quantized with the audio from Cross. I believe this would require Ableton Link v3 to work.
redocoder

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 09 Apr 2018, 00:02

Unfortunately, because of the way Ableton Link is currently setup in Cross DJ, the only way to do this would be to manually adjust the Ableton Link BPM with the + & - buttons (since MIDI control is broken for that command) to adjust the BPM of all synced tracks in Cross DJ and all Ableton Link synced applications.

Right now Cross DJ only acts as a slave to Ableton Link, but in your case I think it would be best for Cross DJ to act as the master for BPM and start/stop info. I will bring this up with the team to see if we plan to change/update this at all.

I am afraid I'm not too familiar with Resolume so I cannot help too much with setting that up, and since there is no simple MIDI BPM Clock output in Cross DJ, you may not be able to get things working exactly how you want at the moment.

Adam @Mixvibes.
Thank You!
Team@Mixvibes

Postby redocoder on 12 Apr 2018, 01:20

Sweet, thanks, please keep me updated. It looks like you are developing an app for what I'm trying to do I would think Cross would have all the data to feed Ableton Link. Please keep developing Cross, there hasn't been been an update in over a year. I would really like to see VST capability and this Ableton Link v3 supported. In my opinion Cross should include all the features of your apps or at least be able to integrate fully, disappointed spout output still sn't available for Windows.

Beat Detect

Beat detect is a simple way to get the BPM of any beat by listening through the device mic. Get real-time feedback on your playing speed or sync Link-enabled apps to the tempo of an instrument.

By MIXVIBES

Coming soon
redocoder

Next

Return to Community Support