Understanding Beatmatching with Cross help please?

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: Understanding Beatmatching with Cross help please?

Postby DJ Vintage on 16 Oct 2017, 17:25

mikehende wrote:Any ideas on the this Match function guys? Another thing that has me concerned is since Mixvibes tech support seems to be non-existant then what should happen if I should purchase the software and have some glitch and would need tech support?

There are two kinds of match. The button to the far right, under the analyze button, looks for tracks that are key-compatible (and perhaps even close in BPM, but I am not sure about that).
While handy to find tracks to try out new mixes with, don't fall in the trap of depending on this feature. Know your collection tracks inside and out is the way to go.

The other match option is when you have two tracks loaded and you mouse-over the key in the player window. Under the key you find a number (starting at 0) and next to it a plus and minus sign and a match button. The first number tells you how many semitones you have changed the key (up or down), the + and - buttons let you increase/decrease by semitones. If you hit the match button it will match the key of the other deck. Again, a word of warning here. While keys may be the same, it doesn't always mean it will sound good. So again, know your tracks and if you have to tracks you'd like to play back to back, but they are a bit off-key, you can practice (at home, never live!) with matching keys to see if that makes the mix work. If it doesn't, either use another transisition method (there are plenty of ways to mix non-harmonically matched tracks) or forget that combination and find others that will work.
DJ Vintage

Postby DJ Vintage on 16 Oct 2017, 17:31

mikehende wrote:Cool thanks. After choosing Analyze All, should I then choose
Analyze Beatgrid/BPM only or would this already be covered with the Analyze All option please?

The thing that is most important here (imho) is that you use analyze all if you want Cross to detect the key of the tracks. If you use something like Keyfinder or Mixed in Key, you don't want Cross to overwrite your already stored keys. In that case you choose to set in setup what you want to have analyzed and choose "Analyze - Analyze (user-defined)".
DJ Vintage

Postby mikehende on 16 Oct 2017, 21:48

Alright, got it, thanks for all the info. Basically what I would to know is how to guys handle when to click the deck B track please? With 1200's I used the back up to the first kickbass, old it and let go with a slight push on time with the kickbass of the outgoing tune.

With Cross I can't seem to click on time and Cross doesn't appear to work like other softwares where you can keep clicking the sync button and it will keep trying to sync?
mikehende

Postby FigDJ on 17 Oct 2017, 02:13

mikehende wrote:Alright, got it, thanks for all the info. Basically what I would to know is how to guys handle when to click the deck B track please? With 1200's I used the back up to the first kickbass, old it and let go with a slight push on time with the kickbass of the outgoing tune.

With Cross I can't seem to click on time and Cross doesn't appear to work like other softwares where you can keep clicking the sync button and it will keep trying to sync?

You need to have Quantize and Sync link turned on. That way you don’t have to time when you press play so precisely. With those settings on it will start on beat all the time.
FigDJ

Postby mikehende on 17 Oct 2017, 02:54

Hmnn wonder what I'm doing wrong then for as the image shows quantize and link is turned on with them showing white color, not so?

https://s1.postimg.org/5ezs32bidb/Cross.png
mikehende

Postby mikehende on 17 Oct 2017, 16:33

Ok guys, I have created a mini tutorial based on your advice/info [thanks!] and I am now trying to figure out why I can't get the incoming tune to start on the beat with the current playing tune so if you guys can help me figure out what I am doing wrong it will be greatly appreciated.

Please see this screenshot:

https://s1.postimg.org/6rr26rbx7j/Cross.png

As you can see, I have loaded 2 tunes with natively identical bpm's and very defined solid beats so this should work very easily to beatmatch them. These are the instructions I've compiled with the info/advice given, please tel me what I am doing wrong?

Load tracks in Collections, Analyze ALL.
In preferences General Tab Check for Sync Link.
sync to the beat
Turn beatgrids on
place markers spaced every 16 beats
Quantize [1 beat] and snap 1 beat] and Sync link turned on

Load tracks in decks A and B
Line up the beat
press sync.
press play when ready and it will start on beat with the master.
mikehende

Postby RoJeC on 17 Oct 2017, 22:17

Are you using an ASIO driver for your soundcard, with latency set low?

Else you have the issue that the buffer of the soundcard may already be upto 2 seconds ahead instead of some milliseconds.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mikehende on 17 Oct 2017, 22:23

No. I am experimenting with this software on my work PC which is a Dell XPS win10 64bit i5 PC so only have all which came with the PC.

Is there any specific ASIO driver I should install please?
mikehende

Postby RoJeC on 17 Oct 2017, 22:30

Yes, DJing without ASIO is not really possible.

For win use asio4all driver from asio4all.com.

install (not much will show).
(re)styart Cross. select asio4 all in drivers of audio in Preferences. change settings to open menu of asio to select your sc.

try to lower latency. If you get dropouts (or no audio) slightly increase till you find your level. Prefarably below 256 (Cross can work with 1 ms, but most hardware can't go that low)
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mikehende on 17 Oct 2017, 22:46

Thanks, will do soon as I get the chance either tonight or in the morning. Meantime, am I right in thinking that the Asio driver issue is what's causing my problem and can you confirm that all of my steps listed is accurate and no other step is missing please?
mikehende

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat