Vertical Waveforms and color of downbeat?

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: Vertical Waveforms and color of downbeat?

Postby mikehende on 09 Oct 2017, 12:39

Thanks a lot for those instructions but would not address my purpose for this so please let me try to explain myself better. I have many thousand of tracks so manually setting cue points for each track will take forever.

I therefore wish to load a playlist of any tunes in my collection and have Cross automatically set each tune I should in the decks ready to kick off at the first downbeat, that simply is what I need.

If that can be possible then that is what I need instructions on how to setup. If no one here does that or doesn't know how to do it then how can I contact the Cross developer to ask if this is possible please?
mikehende

Postby RoJeC on 09 Oct 2017, 18:51

The current algorithm is the result of over 20 years of developping DJ software, so longer than any other still around. None of the DJ software have an algorithm that suites all tracks, let alone suites all wishes of DJ's.

You'll find Cross setting the Cue to the first downbeat very often. However it also takes into consideration volume, silences, # of cycles, etc.

Checking your Cue is a basic DJ job for every track very time you use it. At least in my opinion (and more here at the forum).
Of getting familiar with your tracks setting the Cue is the least time consuming. You can do like 100 per 15 minutes easily.

Cross can work easily with over 100k of tracks. In a 4 hours gig you typically use less than 100 tracks (especially if you use the full intro's). So doing a couple of hundred will cover many gigs, providing you with time to do many more if you like.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mikehende on 09 Oct 2017, 19:09

I see. Tell me this, when I purchase Cross DJ, it will be to load on a friend's music laptop which is where I play music most of the times and will be using his Pioneer SX2 controller.

Any way for me to work on Cross "Free" at home with the cue points and transfer that to his laptop or maybe store them on an external drive of my own so when I go there I point Cross DJ to the music on my external and it will work?
mikehende

Postby daniel clark on 09 Oct 2017, 21:42

:mrgreen: the licence is good for use on two computers ,, recommend buying Cross ,,has full features and you can run vid samples ,, plus time control and also Pioneer interfaces ,, all you suggested is possible ,, you just have to get the info to do this ,,not computer savvy to explain the process :cool:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby mikehende on 09 Oct 2017, 22:14

daniel clark wrote::mrgreen: the licence is good for use on two computers

I didn't know that so that settles one issue [thanks] but to clarify I can use one external drive interchangeably on the 2 laptops, is this right?

recommend buying Cross ,,has full features and you can run vid samples, plus time control and also Pioneer interfaces

Ok, noted on purchasing Cross instead.

all you suggested is possible, you just have to get the info to do this ,,not computer savvy to explain the process :cool:

Understood, appreciate the help and advice.

Only 2 other issues please, I want a looping view in the decks like that of Virtual DJ as in this pic, reading the looping section in the manual I think it can be done, just can't seem to do it, am I mistaken or is it possible?

https://s1.postimg.org/685d60o9fj/Loop.png

And last, when you guys line up the next tune and have it set to kick off where you want, how do you manage clicking on time so it matches with the downbeat of the current tune please?
mikehende

Postby RoJeC on 09 Oct 2017, 22:36

PC dependent: mixvibes.settings file. This holds the location of your analyses folder (as you set in Preferences).

Analyses Folder is best synced to local.

Collection file also best synced to local.

Tracks can remain at external disk. If available use USB 3 for highest speed. Also make sure you have sufficeint powersupply over USB to all connected devices. If any doubt, add a powered USB hub.

The collection is the key database which holds the path/filename as unique reference to the track. So using the exact same is critical for fast setup. Cross does have a 'relocate' option for files which makes this easy, but will always take time to do.
What I do (PC with several disks to laptop) is store my audio at a kind of virtual disk. In my case 'K:'. By using the command 'subst k: e:\music' I connect this disk. The command is at a low DOS level, meaning it takes no performance at all. At my laptop I use 'subst k: c:\audio'
By adding a batch file to the PC and laptop and have this run at startup the link is there (I use fixed hdd usually as the batch file can't link to a none connected drive)
You could also use NTFS options but I can't recall exactly how. By this you can somehow make a disk part of an other folder.

The syncing of the files I do with 'fastcopy' program (freeware). As this works at dos level (win interface) it is faster than syncing via a windows program.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mikehende on 09 Oct 2017, 22:46

Then I would better off simply loading my collections on both PC's since I would be able to install Cross on 2 PC's.

So assuming I do all cueing on my home desktop PC, can I then transfer the collection database to my friend's laptop so it will work right off the bat?
mikehende

Postby RoJeC on 09 Oct 2017, 22:59

You're close.
You'll have to decide how to handle your master collection file. Once you worked with the file at your friends PC this may become your master which has to be synced back to your PC.
The simplest thing is syncing the whole collection file (be sure to close the collection before syncing as else you have 2 files that you need (the journal as well).

The collection has the reference to the analysis files as well, So youdo need these as well. Your CUe and beatgrid is part of these files.

Cross does have a feature to handle this but this has the disadvantage that it first creates a kind of backup file which you later need to restore. This takes way more time than syncing as well as diskspace.

It may seem complicated but once you start doing it you'll notice it makes sence and is easy as long as you keep careful.
Ronald

RoJeC

Postby daniel clark on 10 Oct 2017, 00:58

:mrgreen:
yeah ,,all rojec said and a bag of potato chips :mrgreen:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby discopex on 12 Oct 2017, 12:35

I use the free Synkron app to sync my gig laptop song files to home workstation (it also replaces files that have been changed, any mp3 tag id changes such as play count will affect). Then I manually copy the database file over from gig laptop as well. I don't bother copying the analysis files since I'm lazy and any analysis will happen fast anyways on my computers. :)

here's Synkron, very handy (take time to adjust the program
preferences to suit your sync needs!)

http://synkron.sourceforge.net/
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat