Remixvideo Codec

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Remixvideo Codec

Postby Mufasa69 on 10 Aug 2017, 18:21

What codec does Remixvideo prefer to take advantage of GPU processing in machines with dedicated GPU?

I noticed my laptop fan runs faster and slows down quite a bit when using H264 MP4 videos clips especially when running other programs in my case I use Serato and Mixemergency. I syphon Remixvideo to Mixemergency.

Can you kindly shed light on this so I can encode videos with the most efficient codec.

Mixemergency prefers H264
Resolume DXV

These programs don't use CPU processing when I play videos encoded with the preferred video codec.

Thanks
Mufasa69

Re: Remixvideo Codec

Postby RoJeC on 12 Aug 2017, 10:31

Your question is not likely to be answered. Though a valid question to try to optimise your performance. As technology and code can change any moment for what ever reason the answer might change over time causing you to have to modify your work periodically.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 14 Aug 2017, 02:26

Hello Mufasa,

RoJeC is correct, and we try to make Remixvideo compatible with all codecs and file types, so this will be continuously updating and changing.

All of the default packs are encoded with the H264 - MPEG-4 AVC codec.

It is somewhat expected that your laptops fans would run more, and this is necessary to cool your processor and GPU down while running multiple programs.

In any case, I will ask the development team if there is a preferred codec for Remixvideo and get back to you.

Best regards,
The Mixvibes Team
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@MixVibes gives no support on the forums including via PM
Team@Mixvibes

Postby Mufasa69 on 16 Aug 2017, 21:42

Thanks for the heads up.

I just thought i should ask as i wasn't only getting faster fan but poor performance sometimes needing me to close the program and just focus on audio djing only.

I know that this is caused by the random visuals i loaded, as they are from varying sources with different codecs, so i'm trying to create a a special visuals folder using a very efficient codec to improve performance.

I will go with H.264 for now and let you know how i get on.

The stock RMXV packs runs nice but they are not suitable for my Funk and Soul residency. :D
Mufasa69

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 18 Aug 2017, 20:05

Hello again,

I heard back from the team about preferred codecs, and apparently Remixvideo only uses the CPU for all processing. This is why there is no preferred codec and why you may run into performance issues.

I can ask if there are any plans to add an option for GPU processing, since this would lighten the load on your CPU, and get back to you.

Best regards,

Adam @Mixvibes
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@Mixvibes

Postby Mufasa69 on 23 Aug 2017, 09:48

I think GPU processing support will be amazing.

It will ease the burden on CPU by allowing other programs to be run concurrently with a hitch.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Mufasa69

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 02 Sep 2017, 18:37

Hi again,

I wanted to let you know that right now there are no plans to add GPU processing to Remixvideo.

It could possibly get on the to-do list in the future but they have more important things to work on and I imagine adding GPU processing would add a whole slew of different issues and variables to consider.

Sorry for getting your hopes up!

Adam @Mixvibes
Thank You!
Team@Mixvibes

Postby Mufasa69 on 05 Sep 2017, 15:58

Well thats a shame.

Thanks for the update.

Its going to be difficult for me to use Remixvideo in addition to SDJ when playing life.

Maybe if I'm doing just Visuals only I can...
Mufasa69

Postby DJRicoche on 19 Sep 2017, 08:43

It is a shame. Why create video specific software that doesn't take advantage of the additional processing power and memory in a video card. It just doesn't make sense to me - granted, you aren't doing real-time rendering or anything like that, but it would still make sense to at least have the option to spread the load across the GPU if a dedicated one is available to the end user, freeing up the main processor to focus on all the other tasks.

Acer Predator G9-791
Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ 2.6 GHz (Quad Core)
16GB RAM
500GB SSD - OS
500GB SSD - Music Library
2TB SSD - Video Library
Win 10-64bit
Vestax VCI 400
DJRicoche

Postby RoJeC on 19 Sep 2017, 18:37

more than 10 layers of video and with dynamic FX and text, latency a few ms..
What do you mean by nothing done real-time...

GPU isn't as standardized as CPU. Way more differences between manufacturers and types. The team has tried with Cross Vid and learned the hard way...

So the team chosse stability over possibility..

Might well be that in future this changes. But also be aware that quite some devices share mem between CPU and GPU making it not always faster.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Return to Community Support