Allen & Heath Xone DX ASio driver crashes(solved)

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Allen & Heath Xone DX ASio driver crashes(solved)

Postby MrKite on 15 Jun 2017, 00:23

Hi All,

After years of using my Allen & Heath Xone:DX with Cross vibes and feeling very confident about it, it had a driver crash about 6 months ago. I had been fiddling with the priority and buffer size, put everything back to standard, I could exercise but after 40 minutes I had a crash of the Asio Driver.....

I was planning to install new hardware for a while, replacing the old laptop with a PC main board build in in flight case and a 24" screen etc... First gig was OK (I play all night DJ gigs in different genres..) Next rehearsal, ASIO driver crash reported.....

I found out that when just having the software on for some time I got ASIO driver crash reports, needed to reboot or at least restart Cross DJ. After re-installing the firmware I could play another all night session, but then again the ASIO driver crashed after 2 hours, 1hour, 30 minutes, 20 minutes until the point where I started Cross and the crashes continued to pop up on my screen after a few minutes.

Turning my new fancy setup in something unusable...

Opened up the Xone:DX but no dirt or loose contact was found, replaced the USB cables.... no good

Started thinking about buying a new unit/other brand of controller but I had just invested time and money in making this flight case, heavy to carry but everything in one case, power and 2 audio cables and Go!

Was reading articles on the Internet and found a discussion about what a shame that Serato never brought out "the bridge" software or any reliable version of ITCH and then dumped support for this controller (and leading me to be a happy Cross DJ user).

Suddenly I remember that new feature of Cross DJ 3.4.2.... Ableton Link....

I installed Cross DJ 3.3.11 Ran it this morning, put my entire library in autoplay and it is now test running for more than 13 hours, enabled 2 effects on the Master output for a long while, have all tracks synced to some random value.... NO ASIO driver fault pop ups, just keeps on playing track after track!

So after enjoying all this free updates from my initial purchase, I am now stuck with this version 3.3.11 (which works perfect with my flac files, also with video) and has all the bells and whistles that I need.... Not too bad for a controller which is not supported by the producers for a long time know..... Unless the creators of Cross DJ have a way (a /switch or something) to install the updates without the Ableton link.... (I love Ableton by the way)

Just want to make this statement, for all Allen & Heath Xone:DX users who have or want to try Cross DJ, GO, but stick to the older version if you want a reliable setup to go out and perform!

Kind regards,

Jimmy
MrKite

Re: Allen & Heath Xone DX ASio driver crashes

Postby RoJeC on 15 Jun 2017, 05:59

Thanks for reporting. Next time don't hesitate to report issues sooner. Might save you some time.
You're the first one reporting any issues that seem to be triggered by the Ableton link, though also other changes/improvements are presentin the 3.4.x version.
Have you maybe tried using asio4all as sound driver instead of the AH one?
The age of the controller doesn't really mather.

Please also tell some more specs, like OS version.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby MrKite on 15 Jun 2017, 09:53

Hi
I am using Windows 8 as OS.

I tried ASIO4ALL as a driver. Instead of a popup I heard cracks in the audio after about 30 minutes and about 10 minutes later everything was freezing. Needed to quit the program. It repeated to happen 4 times in a row.

My hardware is an Intel PC (no laptop) i3 processor with 8 GB RAM.

If I can supply more info or log files, just ask and I will.

Jimmy
MrKite

Postby RoJeC on 15 Jun 2017, 19:02

Seems like a similar behaviour, assuming you didn't go below like 256 with ASIO4ALL (which is still way more than needed for most sound cards).

If you have a log on what's happening that would be great. You can upload as attachment to your reply.

Do you have any other device running ableton within the same network? If so, you may want to give it a try to make the PC fully standalone.

To exclude other options: disable powersave settings (hdd, cpu, usb), (temp) disable Antivirus.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby MrKite on 19 Jun 2017, 00:54

SOLVED!!!!

Well, not as fast as typing the line above, so allow me to tell the story:

I had version 3.3.11 running for 24 hours on autoplay, 3 times in a row. On the second try I noticed that the MIDI was not responding anymore (after not touching anything on the controller for more than 20 hours, but the music was still running in the headphone (I did nor connect speakers for this test), that's why I had the 3rd run of 24 hours and moved the volume sliders every x hours, all seamed great!

Then I did a full test and started recording a mixtape. I have to do this without speakers so I don't keep the whole family awake. After 20 minutes ASIO driver crashes.... Also Cross DJ 3.3.11 seems to have the same problem!

I then tried my laptop that I used in the beginning and still had version 3.3.10 installed, what never ever gave a problem. After 30 minutes I touch the platter and the ASIO driver would crash on that one as well... Reinstalled the ASIO drivers, rebooted, strange asymmetrical lights showed up on the controller. Could not reload the firmware. I had this before and running Serato ITCH (included as original software with this controller) had installed the firmware, this time also that install was hanging...

I was already prepared to spend around 600€ to buy a Denon mc 6000 mkII (the only 'PRO' controller I could find that's only a bit bigger than the Xone:DX) I have just recently made a custom flight case with the Xone:DX and a desktop motherboard and a 24" screen and everything is in the box, just connect power and audio and GO....

I had bought a spare power adapter and used this one all the time, leaving the original power adapter as a spare (The controller needs more than 1A, so not easy to find a replacement). This adapter had already died once, but within the warranty period of 3years and was replaced well... Almost 3 years ago. I did have lights on the Xone:DX but gave it a try with the original adapter, ITCH could upload the firmware, fired up ITCH and played with it for 5 minutes (this looks really old and primitive if you are used to Cross DJ!) on the laptop...
Then switched to the "musicbox", launched Cross DJ 6.4.x (latest version.... Recorded a mix of over 2 hours, moved the sliders and the platters a lot (also on the muted channels) used an overdose of FX,...... NO CRASH at all!

So I think I pinpointed the problem to the power adapter that was probably not giving enough power or had short times where it would drop.... If you disconnect the power of the controller the audio driver crashes, that's normal I think....

SO it was a Hardware failure, but it's going to cost me 50€ to find a spare power adaptor instead of 600 to find a new controller. And I love my A&H Xone:DX and the workflow of Cross DJ, So we will stick together for some more time!

Thanks for reading this to the end!

Jimmy
MrKite

Postby discopex on 19 Jun 2017, 16:47

MrKite wrote:SOLVED!!!!

Well, not as fast as typing the line above, so allow me to tell the story:

I had version 3.3.11 running for 24 hours on autoplay, 3 times in a row. On the second try I noticed that the MIDI was not responding anymore (after not touching anything on the controller for more than 20 hours, but the music was still running in the headphone (I did nor connect speakers for this test), that's why I had the 3rd run of 24 hours and moved the volume sliders every x hours, all seamed great!

Then I did a full test and started recording a mixtape. I have to do this without speakers so I don't keep the whole family awake. After 20 minutes ASIO driver crashes.... Also Cross DJ 3.3.11 seems to have the same problem!

I then tried my laptop that I used in the beginning and still had version 3.3.10 installed, what never ever gave a problem. After 30 minutes I touch the platter and the ASIO driver would crash on that one as well... Reinstalled the ASIO drivers, rebooted, strange asymmetrical lights showed up on the controller. Could not reload the firmware. I had this before and running Serato ITCH (included as original software with this controller) had installed the firmware, this time also that install was hanging...

I was already prepared to spend around 600€ to buy a Denon mc 6000 mkII (the only 'PRO' controller I could find that's only a bit bigger than the Xone:DX) I have just recently made a custom flight case with the Xone:DX and a desktop motherboard and a 24" screen and everything is in the box, just connect power and audio and GO....

I had bought a spare power adapter and used this one all the time, leaving the original power adapter as a spare (The controller needs more than 1A, so not easy to find a replacement). This adapter had already died once, but within the warranty period of 3years and was replaced well... Almost 3 years ago. I did have lights on the Xone:DX but gave it a try with the original adapter, ITCH could upload the firmware, fired up ITCH and played with it for 5 minutes (this looks really old and primitive if you are used to Cross DJ!) on the laptop...
Then switched to the "musicbox", launched Cross DJ 6.4.x (latest version.... Recorded a mix of over 2 hours, moved the sliders and the platters a lot (also on the muted channels) used an overdose of FX,...... NO CRASH at all!

So I think I pinpointed the problem to the power adapter that was probably not giving enough power or had short times where it would drop.... If you disconnect the power of the controller the audio driver crashes, that's normal I think....

SO it was a Hardware failure, but it's going to cost me 50€ to find a spare power adaptor instead of 600 to find a new controller. And I love my A&H Xone:DX and the workflow of Cross DJ, So we will stick together for some more time!

Thanks for reading this to the end!

Jimmy

Thanks for the update ! USB power problems can indeed sometimes present mysterious issues. :cool:
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Re: Allen & Heath Xone DX ASio driver crashes(solved)

Postby remaksiva on 13 Oct 2018, 22:49

Good day to day! This is a translation of Google - sorry.
The question is where to find the old firmware on the controller xone dx?
remaksiva

Re: Allen & Heath Xone DX ASio driver crashes(solved)

Postby remaksiva on 13 Oct 2018, 22:53

Good day to day! This is a translation of Google - sorry.
Question 2, how to use the FX CUE function?
remaksiva

Return to Community Support