Cross feature suggestions - overall I couldn't be happier!

Suggest features and improvements

Cross feature suggestions - overall I couldn't be happier!

Postby ldorio on 28 Jan 2017, 14:45

So, I've been using Cross since it was a beta version a million years ago. I've grown to love it more than anything else. The so-called competition is just starting to catch up, years later.

It's gotten to a point where I'm happy telling people that it's better than anything else out there. It gets the beatgrids right 99% of the time, which is better than the competition, particularly with drum & bass or non 4/4 genres. The amount of hassles I experience these days with Cross are non-existent. I own multiple licenses, even.

So I had the ideas for some new features that might help really technical users get a bit more in-depth.

1. Rewire support - This has been mentioned in the past, but native Rewire support would allow us to route Cross into a DAW or other audio application without requiring two soundcards or a virtual ASIO driver, both of which add more latency. In my particular usage, I need to route Cross into REAPER, and I'm currently using ReaRoute, which is REAPER's virtual ASIO driver. It works, but you basically double the latency since you're using 2 ASIO drivers in series.

2. Internal mixer mode with more output options (more than dual stereo/simple stereo mode) - Some of us need to route audio to different outputs while still using Cross' internal mixer. If the internal mixer's MIDI mapped functions could still be used while in "external mixer" mode, that would be good. OR, if you could offer more output routing options to allow Output Deck 1, Deck 2, Cue, and Master, while in "internal mixer" mode, that would give a lot more flexibility.

3. More thought as to how relative-mode encoders can be adapted to effects via MIDI - basically, I have a lot of endless encoders which have toggle function (push) and relative mode (rotary). The mixer and effect functions, although they will work with a relative control, lack a good way to reset the values to 0. I was thinking that, in the instance of a filter for example, a MIDI function that will reset it to '0'. That way I could link the pushbutton function of the encoder to both on/off AND reset-to-zero, so that whenever I turn on/off the filter, it starts from the zero point.

I run into a lot of ideas like these, and I'm always happy to share them if they are of any use to the development team. If someone from the support/dev staff could let me know that they would at least consider these thoughts, it would make me feel like an important client (I do actually own 5 legitimately purchased licenses, so that would be extra nice).
ldorio

Re: Cross feature suggestions - overall I couldn't be happie

Postby daniel clark on 28 Jan 2017, 15:28

:idea: have you tried to run MIDI comands while in external mode ,,should work as the two are eperate ,,MIDI is seperate from audio routing ,ie the video useing U-Mix Control Pro to run time code set up ,,
yes the rewire feature would expand usage for different set up ,, ,,over all your suggestion have merit and good possible outcome for the user ,,allows for tayloring there set up to fit there needs :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkYBCoDb8Kk
check this out
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby discopex on 28 Jan 2017, 16:03

I remember mapping filter function to a relative encoder, for filter reset I simply used SHIFT + filter.
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby daniel clark on 28 Jan 2017, 16:09

discopex wrote:I remember mapping filter function to a relative encoder, for filter reset I simply used SHIFT + filter.

you might also start a thread on getting this accomplised since not having e nuff info on what particulair you want ,,so as to get user help to accomplish this , :idea:
MEMBER OF:

2014 dell XPS8700
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby Activated Soundwave on 31 Jan 2017, 17:24

ldorio wrote:2. Internal mixer mode with more output options (more than dual stereo/simple stereo mode) - Some of us need to route audio to different outputs while still using Cross' internal mixer. If the internal mixer's MIDI mapped functions could still be used while in "external mixer" mode, that would be good. OR, if you could offer more output routing options to allow Output Deck 1, Deck 2, Cue, and Master, while in "internal mixer" mode, that would give a lot more flexibility.

Not that I have been experimenting at present in this area with but I can understand on past ideas with third party hardware I have had and will be doing (my sampler by Elektron I was thinking of dabbling with), that a little more routing may have some purpose I could not go into detail at present but I have noticed and thought about in the past and also too do with split cue monitoring in particular, if you have time on this a little detail on your hardware devices and make etc may help me and other better understand your requirements as it is quite impossible to imagine your scenarios without this info (subject to if we readers are familiar with what hardware you would be using of course). so not a vote for but I am curious.
My mix page
http://www.mixcloud.com/SubJacent/

FAQ - http://mixvibes.com/faq/
Cross DJ user manual
http://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uplo ... manual.pdf

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

I do not use video at present so in my experience I only refer to mixing audio
Activated Soundwave

Postby ldorio on 31 Jan 2017, 18:05

discopex wrote:I remember mapping filter function to a relative encoder, for filter reset I simply used SHIFT + filter.

I was not aware there was a filter reset function in Cross' MIDI section. Is there?
ldorio

Postby FigDJ on 31 Jan 2017, 18:22

ldorio wrote:

I was not aware there was a filter reset function in Cross' MIDI section. Is there?
yes, there is. You can use
In&Out fam(Mixer).FilterOnOffA (Logic) == "Filter ON/OFF A"
As a toggle button or this one as a direct Integer buttton
In&Out fam(Mixer).FilterA (Normal) == "Filter A"
Code: Select all
        <mapping>
          <events>
            <MIDI type="Note" parameter="0x40" channel="0x1"/>
          </events>
          <controls>
            <control alias="(Mixer).FilterA"/>
          </controls>
          <preset name="Direct Integer Button">
            <parameters>
              <parameter object="action-0" key="integer" value="0"/>
              <parameter object="dispatch" key="interpretCCasNote" value="off"/>
            </parameters>
          </preset>
        </mapping>
FigDJ

Postby ldorio on 31 Jan 2017, 18:28

FigDJ wrote:
ldorio wrote:

Thanks for the tip!!
ldorio

Postby ldorio on 31 Jan 2017, 18:29

daniel clark wrote::idea: have you tried to run MIDI comands while in external mode ,,should work as the two are eperate ,,MIDI is seperate from audio routing ,ie the video useing U-Mix Control Pro to run time code set up ,,
yes the rewire feature would expand usage for different set up ,, ,,over all your suggestion have merit and good possible outcome for the user ,,allows for tayloring there set up to fit there needs :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkYBCoDb8Kk
check this out

Yes, I tried running the MIDI commands in external mode, and strangely they did nothing.
ldorio

Postby daniel clark on 01 Feb 2017, 02:12

:eek: maybe i am missing something ,,
give info as to how you are setting this up ,,
lost thought on the topic in relations to useing MIDI commands while in external mode ,, will ask a ? to the MIDI monster if a special mapping should be used ,, but didnt think that the audio routing would affect MIDI protocals,,i might be wrong :cool:
MEMBER OF:

2014 dell XPS8700
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor