Question regarding missing 'Folders'

Mixvibes Android applications for Smartphone and Pad: CrossDJ
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Question regarding missing 'Folders'

Postby Music_Maker on 02 Aug 2015, 14:24

Hi all,

after trying the free version I decided to purchase the 'pro version' I am.glad I did, as it's a fantastic piece of software!

I have a problem. My music is in folders on my micro sd card (music style/albums etc) Yet the Mixvibes won't let me see the individual folders,which is annoying to say the least! Is there a way of seeing these folders within the program? If not, is this (essential in my opinion) feature going to be added via a future update?

Thank you in advance for any replies :)
Music_Maker

Re: Question regarding missing 'Folders'

Postby Music_Maker on 02 Aug 2015, 14:28

I forgot to include, it's Cross DJ Pro for Android I am using!
Music_Maker

Postby RoJeC on 02 Aug 2015, 23:35

The music library can be searched and filtered way faster than by any classic folder structure. Proper tagging makes your collection easier accessible on multiple values than a one dimensional folder structure ever can. It will also save you time by not having to worry about where to put an album.

If you still want it... It's there already . The /mnt/ folder is where to start..
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mmediaman on 07 Aug 2015, 23:20

Folder Library management seems to leave a lot to be desired.

As the OP said, it can be hit or miss to see folders at the file system level (browse folders). Furthermore, it seems .mp3 files don't appear until the folder is scanned manually.

Why can't the app just show whatever files are in the folders inthe file system and worry about analyzing them when loaded or when the users tells it to analyze the folder?

Also the library layout is abysmal. The screen is already small, why not use at least standard two color shading to distinguish files (so its easier to look at) and also allow column resizing????
mmediaman

Postby RoJeC on 08 Aug 2015, 09:40

Analyze on load isn't the way to go. several DJ functions depend on having the analyses done (sync, cue, etc) also it takes performance. so preparing is the best way...

How the library looks depends on the device you use. As there are about 48000 different android versions/devices (in the news this week) it isn't always possible to add functions. Some just don't make it through the test.

mp3 not showing might be a bug (can you tell which version you used, just to be sure). Could however also be an android issue that the file info isn't processed fast enough.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mmediaman on 09 Aug 2015, 02:09

Analyze on load isn't the way to go. several DJ functions depend on having the analyses done (sync, cue, etc) also it takes performance. so preparing is the best way...

@RoJeC, I can see by your reply that I wasn't clear enough. My apology. I did however say in my post:
analyzing them when loaded or when the users tells it to analyze the folder

This is the way PC DJ software works. Analyze before hand when the user tells it to, or else analyze on the fly when loaded. So Cross does seem to do this, however what I notice is, if I navigate to media on an external SD drive (USB), Cross does not recognize that files exists unless I tell it to "scan for files"./ So unless I am doing something wrong, my point is that it should show files whether they have been analyzed or not. Perhaps it is an issue with the fact that the drive is external to the phone, since it seems it does not do this when you navigate to the internal SD.

Regarding the folder display; I can appreciate that there are many flavors of Android devices out there, but what I am suggesting is that the library (file view) itself, could be made easier to read by simply using alternating shades of color for each track in the list, (Serato and others have been doing this for a long time). Furthermore, showing the BPM and KEY in different lines does not help to keep the view clean and readable. I don't think that has any dependency on what type of device one is using... or need to be tested in any special way.

Thx
mmediaman

Postby mmediaman on 12 Aug 2015, 19:36

Crickets?!
:eek:
mmediaman

Postby Definite Jiving on 23 Aug 2015, 20:48

Music_Maker wrote:My music is in folders on my micro sd card (music style/albums etc) Yet the Mixvibes won't let me see the individual folders,which is annoying to say the least! Is there a way of seeing these folders within the program?

I work the same way, with my folders on external micro SD card in my phone. In the latest version of DJ, go to the tracks menu (the plus sign that takes you to Playlists, Songs, Artists, etc., which are in the Local Library), and use the menu there (the three horizontal lines).

Choose Folder Explorer.

Select the mnt folder.

Select the extSdCard folder.

The folders on your micro SD card will be visible there, and you can DJ from them. I often work this way since I'm so familiar with my folder structure and know intuitively which kinds of tracks I can find in which locations; but I also use the Local Library and its great search functions for quick finds on the fly.

The Folder Explorer is a new addition. In older versions of DJ, Folders appeared in the swipeable lists, along with Playlist, Songs, etc. In these versions, go to Folders and then to mnt, then to extSdCard.
Definite Jiving

Postby mmediaman on 24 Aug 2015, 03:22

No problem getting to the file folders. Issue is that the files don't appear once you are there unless you perform a scan. Then once the files are displayed, the view is not well.... "view friendly".
mmediaman

Postby mmediaman on 14 Dec 2015, 01:51

Pity we haven't come to any conclusions on this. Will make suggestions in suggestion forum.
mmediaman

Return to Android Discussion