GUI Refresh Ideas for 2015?

Suggest features and improvements

GUI Refresh Ideas for 2015?

Postby Nathan Kelly on 21 Jan 2015, 21:49

Newer user of Cross DJ and liking it so far, just wondering if there's a GUI refresh on the horizon. Something that would bring the desktop version in line with the slicker design of the iOS/Android apps. A few ideas:

- Support for higher resolutions (Retina)
- GPU accelerated waveforms
- Option to show/hide mixer, other elements on screen
- "Green, Yellow, Red" meters that are fatter/more visible
- Bigger mixer knobs
- Customize track header content, placement
- Bolder font for track headers, option to select display font from system
- Two-line album art view from Rekordbox
- CPU meter

Feel free to chime in with your own!
Nathan Kelly

Re: GUI Refresh Ideas for 2015?

Postby RoJeC on 21 Jan 2015, 22:59

Don't forget to have your license key registered.

Retina support likely is planned (might even be there; not seen anyone else mention issues yet).

Cross won't have to many customisation options. The devteam tries to focus on the quality of core functions, where as GUI user features are a severe restriction to multi-platform development in the mid and long term.

It might be worthwhile to add some motivation to your items, so a better understanding of the need/problem you see may come forward.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Nathan Kelly on 22 Jan 2015, 17:24

RoJeC wrote:It might be worthwhile to add some motivation to your items, so a better understanding of the need/problem you see may come forward.

Sure thing:

Higher resolutions
- Text and waveforms seem a bit fuzzy on Retina, not super sharp like in Rekordbox

Accelerated waveforms
- Even on my late 2013 Macbook (16GB Ram, dedicated GPU) the Cross waveforms stutter a bit. After trying the new djay Pro (with 60 FPS accelerated waveforms), I can't go back. They're super smooth!

Show/hide mixer
- Don't really need it on screen when mixing externally, could hide it even when mixing internally for more real estate

Bigger, "green-yellow-red" meters
- Current meters are super thin and not very readable, i.e. it's hard to tell how close I am to redlining unless I am redlining. Having it be green, yellow and red (like Serato, every mixer in the world) would make it easier to see your gains

Bigger mixer knobs
- They're so small, almost useless

Customize track header content, placement
- Traktor has this and it's great, ability to put comment field up there, rearrange placement of info is great

Bold font, change display font
- The track title font is the same as the artist font, should be bolder. Better yet, let us choose the display font from the system (same as Traktor) so we can "make it our own"

Two-line album art view from Rekordbox
- This is probably coming anyway, but it's nice

CPU meter
- Again, something Traktor/Serato have. Useful to get an estimate of the strain on the system.
Nathan Kelly

Postby daniel clark on 22 Jan 2015, 17:36

RoJeC wrote:Don't forget to have your license key registered.

user control panel/profile/serial# :eek: :idea:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby RoJeC on 23 Jan 2015, 12:54

Some comments of me on your suggestions. The devteam will be the judge in applying any suggestion, so don't hesitate to provide more. It can very well help in shifting a decision to an other point. Any layer between human wishes and the bits has grey between the black(0) and white(1)

Nathan Kelly wrote:Higher resolutions
- Text and waveforms seem a bit fuzzy on Retina, not super sharp like in Rekordbox

Could you maybe post a screen capture to show what you have.

Accelerated waveforms
- Even on my late 2013 Macbook (16GB Ram, dedicated GPU) the Cross waveforms stutter a bit. After trying the new djay Pro (with 60 FPS accelerated waveforms), I can't go back. They're super smooth!

This wave stutter is not related to GPU. There seems to be a more basic challenge to have the refresh rate match the monitor refresh rate.
Show/hide mixer
- Don't really need it on screen when mixing externally, could hide it even when mixing internally for more real estate

Select audio mode "external mixer".

Bigger, "green-yellow-red" meters
- Current meters are super thin and not very readable, i.e. it's hard to tell how close I am to redlining unless I am redlining. Having it be green, yellow and red (like Serato, every mixer in the world) would make it easier to see your gains

Cross delivers Line level output. Tracks are normalized to deliver this leveled volume. It doesn't really make sense to want to stress the volume of Cross. If you need Cross to be in the red this essentially just means you don't have the right capacity in the amplification/speakersystem.

Bigger mixer knobs
- They're so small, almost useless

Might be a retina issue that they are smaller than supposed to be. Not sure what else the problem could be. You just need a place to point the mouse and drag up/down. It's like 1cm diameter (at my screen).

Customize track header content, placement
- Traktor has this and it's great, ability to put comment field up there, rearrange placement of info is great

Might be useful (if you have relevant info in comments).
Bold font, change display font
- The track title font is the same as the artist font, should be bolder. Better yet, let us choose the display font from the system (same as Traktor) so we can "make it our own"

Every now and then the layout has been and will be modified. Always leads to the next suggestion... Customization options and Cross don't really fit no more. To stay in the lead of technical possibilities (like creating the first real 64-bit DJ solution) having to much options only leads to restrictions on following new roads.

Two-line album art view from Rekordbox
- This is probably coming anyway, but it's nice

Might be nice (if you use the field at all); but Cross users preferred to have as many tracks in the listing as possible. So a few version ago the minimum font size was reduced from 15 to 12.

CPU meter
- Again, something Traktor/Serato have. Useful to get an estimate of the strain on the system.

Your system info (taskmanager in Win) is the only reliable source for this. When playing audio only it is really difficult to stress Cross. With video likely Cross can handle more then (even) your system. Aside from any CPU meter reducing CPU capacity it hardly ever tells you what it is that put your system to the edge.
Other parameters like latency, memory, hdd access times, anti-virus, starting system jobs (default MS maintenance is at prime time of gigs 03:00) and such are to cause you trouble than instant peak loads.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Nathan Kelly on 23 Jan 2015, 19:52

RoJeC wrote:Could you maybe post a screen capture to show what you have.

Will do when I get the chance. Maybe it's just the demo version?

This wave stutter is not related to GPU. There seems to be a more basic challenge to have the refresh rate match the monitor refresh rate.

Well, there isn't a way to change the refresh rate on a Macbook, so maybe that's something to look at for the future? I know it's something Traktor/Serato still struggle with, but try djay Pro and you'll see what I mean; the waveforms are buttery smooth.

What I meant was to hide the mixer section entirely (like Traktor). Is is possible to select external mixer even if you're using a controller?

Cross delivers Line level output. Tracks are normalized to deliver this leveled volume. It doesn't really make sense to want to stress the volume of Cross. If you need Cross to be in the red this essentially just means you don't have the right capacity in the amplification/speakersystem.

I think you maybe misunderstood? I don't want to be in the red or stress the volume. All I want is to be able to clearly see how close I am to the red. That's difficult in Cross because the meters are visually thin and essentially one colour (yellow/orange) until hitting red. On Serato/most mixers, you get GREEN to 0 dB, then YELLOW to +4dB or so, then RED when you're clipping.

Every now and then the layout has been and will be modified. Always leads to the next suggestion... Customization options and Cross don't really fit no more. To stay in the lead of technical possibilities (like creating the first real 64-bit DJ solution) having to much options only leads to restrictions on following new roads.

I understand. Maybe if full customization is too much, some different view options/modes? (Like Serato). Choosing a traditional track header layout (Left to Right on both channels) instead of the "mirror image" one now?

Might be nice (if you use the field at all); but Cross users preferred to have as many tracks in the listing as possible. So a few version ago the minimum font size was reduced from 15 to 12.

Just nice to have as an option. I understand some people want to see as many tracks as possible, but sometimes with full album art and two lines it's easier to see those tracks with the added vertical space/legibility.

Your system info (taskmanager in Win) is the only reliable source for this. When playing audio only it is really difficult to stress Cross. With video likely Cross can handle more then (even) your system. Aside from any CPU meter reducing CPU capacity it hardly ever tells you what it is that put your system to the edge.
Other parameters like latency, memory, hdd access times, anti-virus, starting system jobs (default MS maintenance is at prime time of gigs 03:00) and such are to cause you trouble than instant peak loads.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight!

And again, I think Cross is awesome. The Mixvibes team is doing great. Just throwing a few ideas out there.
Nathan Kelly

Postby Nathan Kelly on 24 Jan 2015, 02:33

RoJeC wrote:Could you maybe post a screen capture to show what you have.

Links below. These are 100 per cent crops of screen captures from Cross and Rekordbox. As you can see, Cross is pixelated while Rekordbox is really sharp.

This is on a Retina MBP, 2880 x 1800.

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/2535/O3JL2J.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/6079/2bt0ys.jpg
Nathan Kelly

Postby cacao on 05 Feb 2015, 04:56

Option to show/hide mixer, other elements on screen
Don't really need it on screen when mixing externally, could hide it even when mixing internally for more real estate

What I meant was to hide the mixer section entirely (like Traktor). Is is possible to select external mixer even if you're using a controller?

I HAD SAID THAT THING TWO TIMES IN 2013 AND ONE IN 2014 BUT NOTHING YET..... :( :( :cry: :cry:

WELL DONE FOR YOUR TRY. :) :) :)
MIXVIBES Product: Cross
Model Identifier: MacBookPro
cacao

Postby Jim B on 05 Feb 2015, 09:32

I believe the GUI for Cross is in need a big overhaul.

Features have been added and it just looks cluttered to me.
Jim B

Postby FigDJ on 05 Feb 2015, 13:04

Perhaps if Mixvibes decides to overhaul he GUI hey will fix the beatmatcher while they are at it or scrap the beatmatcher for full parallellmto each other horizontal waveforms
FigDJ

Next

Return to Suggestions