A few ideas and requests

Suggest features and improvements

A few ideas and requests

Postby Activated Soundwave on 10 Mar 2014, 16:33

Here are a few things I have been pondering on now I have been using Cross for some time.

1) put a sample bank into a playlist, I personally tend not to use the sample banks as much as I would like, because of the rather long list of sample banks that has built up, and then remember what Is what 100% so this would be a godsend for those playlist, along with a load sample bank from playlist MIDI command.

2) more markers of one description or another, but preferably a small marker system that also become visible below the static waveform display, so for example : you add little triangle markers above or bottom section of the main waveform Maybe best so its not clogging up the visuals.
3 white markers maybe or ?, so I can pinpoint a) play point b) mix in point c)out by point.
then up to 8x8 small markers per sample section representing sample slots 1-8 and named 1-8, so we can also put in our sample points for better remembering but only available in playlist off course and obviously no more than 8 at one time per sample bank. but it gives the option jus5t to have say all sample slot 1 &5 points etc marked in more than one location.
I love mashing it up, but when it comes to the more important gigs I seem to bottle it because of the complex and accurate nature , a few beats too late is all the difference, so its just a marker system to better help you remember what goes well, with those complex sets

3) also what does get a teensy weensy bit frustrating is that when you go from folder to folder or playlist to playlist or smart crate and vice versa etc., it would be great if it remembered the last track highlighted and also keep that position on screen for when you go back to search that same list , so you don't end up having to scroll through to find your last location or track played, so it can waste valuable time or becomes a tedious action scrolling and looking again, (Its just one of those nice touches that makes the browsing and searching process a little bit better.

I have a few other little things I have observed also, but I need to right them down at the time so I remember. apart from the effects section and some nice synced effects with numerical display and beat mashing . I am enjoying Cross DJ a lot.

Although after usage I am still not 100% convinced on the eq , My personal ideal EQ is in traktor Z ISO and second the NUO including their filters, which are flawless to use on a wide range of genre and techniques for me these just glide no rough edges, But I still appreciate the Pioneer one you have added although of the top of my head if I remember right in the new eq I tend not to use the filter and the high end is not so good for raising up by so many DB its harsh if I want to add a little extra boost on top of the mid with the bass down some, which is a technique I use for bringing the vocals out more as I mix out, so you get that nice remix/vocal overlay as the next track evolve/mixes in etc but the eq highs just distort a little to much for my liking, but funny enough I preferred the filter on the classic eq a bit better.

I guess each to their own with the EQ but maybe in the future a couple more Eq types like the two I mention above , just to cover any missing eq variations that some may prefer.

All the same thanks you Mixvibes team for what you do give us now and in the future this software always going to be my choice :) these days now Cross is evolving, cant wait to see what you do in the future

While I remember, nearly forgot , i would say add a VST slot into the equation so I can jam a few sounds out with my arturai mini lab or even add in my fxpansion Geist drum sampler or maybe the slot could be .switchable in output source and become available for a FX ( that may be best as VST can be unstable so keeping it too one VST slot may be best so you don't end time wasting trouble shooting on Cross because of the instability of the VST, maybe have the VST add on option as a plugin rewire device £££££$$$$eeeeelol, that way you can rule out issues caused by the VST and not Cross unlike deckadances unstable attempt to add VST.

Imagine this, I only say this as our effect at moment are not the best shall we say, so imagine adding an effect sugar bytes turnado or even better imagine a izotopes stutter edit and you can trigger the many awesome effects with your keyboard or maybe by pad on your controller if such a collaboration could ever happen' I can but dream lol waffle over I do get a bit exited at what could be.

Thanks. :)
My mix page
http://www.mixcloud.com/SubJacent/

FAQ - http://mixvibes.com/faq/
Cross DJ user manual
http://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uplo ... manual.pdf

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

I do not use video at present so in my experience I only refer to mixing audio
Activated Soundwave

Re: A few ideas and requests

Postby UncleVibes on 10 Mar 2014, 18:22

John Lennon feeling "imagine". Thanks that's in my genetics.
UncleVibes

Postby djphaidon on 11 Mar 2014, 06:17

Activated Soundwave wrote:3) also what does get a teensy weensy bit frustrating is that when you go from folder to folder or playlist to playlist or smart crate and vice versa etc., it would be great if it remembered the last track highlighted and also keep that position on screen for when you go back to search that same list , so you don't end up having to scroll through to find your last location or track played, so it can waste valuable time or becomes a tedious action scrolling and looking again, (Its just one of those nice touches that makes the browsing and searching process a little bit better.

Completely agree with this

Activated Soundwave wrote: maybe have the VST add on option as a plugin rewire device

I might have pee'd a little at this :D I long for rewire support. With it, comes all things ableton/bitwig, which means any combo of infinite possibilities.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0
A&H Xone:DB4 / A&H Xone:K2 / QuNeo / iPad Lemur
15' MacBook Pro / 16Gb RAM

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Postby RoJeC on 11 Mar 2014, 11:54

Remembering previous record per listing would be great.

Having MRU in search would be great to; In the current version I cannot understand why it sometimes it remembers the set value on change of listing and at other moments it does not.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Activated Soundwave on 14 Mar 2014, 15:22

djphaidon wrote:
Activated Soundwave wrote:3) also what does get a teensy weensy bit frustrating is that when you go from folder to folder or playlist to playlist or smart crate and vice versa etc., it would be great if it remembered the last track highlighted and also keep that position on screen for when you go back to search that same list , so you don't end up having to scroll through to find your last location or track played, so it can waste valuable time or becomes a tedious action scrolling and looking again, (Its just one of those nice touches that makes the browsing and searching process a little bit better.

Completely agree with this

Activated Soundwave wrote: maybe have the VST add on option as a plugin rewire device

I might have pee'd a little at this :D I long for rewire support. With it, comes all things ableton/bitwig, which means any combo of infinite possibilities.

Hello,
I think the only thing that would be a concern for Cross as an actual plugin as you suggest or rewire with another program like ableton etc, is that it would then become much harder for the Cross team to rule out issues when they help with support as you have just added all the bugs from your rewired programme like ableton, it will just add to frustrations of support seen similar things in the past regarding jbridge for converting 32bit vst to 64bit and vica versa, I think the rewire may be problematic option.

This is why I suggested just a plugin popup device to host VST made by mix vibes solely for Cross this would act as rewire from the plugin to Cross, that is the rewire I refer too. That way support can always rule out the actual third party VST from any Cross issues, because you just severe ties with the -plugin pop up device and then carry on testing etc. standard DAW Rewire is a powerful thing but personally I think its best kept to a in house method for third party vst plugins, the strength of Cross is best kept to being all its own making, not having to rely on third part stuff unless absolute necessary, hence why I say solely for just one VST plug
in if built into Cross or just a few if it was to b a rewire plugin
(4 VST slots in ideal) if Cross do not improve their Effects section anytime soon, so you can have a VST effect on left and right decks one for master and still have room for a instrument, But ultimately
it must be a practical system what ever that may be and as easy to use as all of crosses other implemented features and functions.

I would be happy if some serious attention was paid to an effects , effects improvements, better syncing and visuals maybe a beat/delay/chopping/auto panning effect, based more like virtual djs or even better as gross beat effect is now in IL Deckadance software-but a simpler system in its making of course.
then all you would need is 2 VST slots on this a ( Cross ,in-house
VST plugin add-on ) one that could be freely assigned to output source_decks or master, then the other VST slot for a instrument.

all food for thought as they say, I hope I have made my idea a bit clearer.

ps: ( I mentioned rewire in Deckadance, just bare in mind I would say 95% this software is not worth using as it is, too much in-depth
quality without thought on the process that must be usable on the fly,it lack refinement that makes it 100% usable in a DJ/performance environment that and its extremely unstable!!!!!!)
I have put Deckadance through its paces, Cross is the one to watch in my books over all the others too It may be lacking at present what some of the other software has, but it is miles apart on usability on the fly and without that many bugs if any in my experience.

And Cross has the best browsing and pre listen system their is and track analysis is good too.
My mix page

Cross DJ user manual

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

Activated Soundwave

Re: A few ideas and requests (extras)

Postby Activated Soundwave on 14 Mar 2014, 20:34

Just got to add this suggestion to the pot,
Found a possible solution to the fact that the sample banks list can soon become very long,

1) Now what if at the top of our sample bank list we could select Our top favourites ( but I would suggest an option in preferences set up menu to choose how many favourites you want per sample bank left and right as individuals ) say going up from 10 in 10 tens to 50,
So you could at most have up too 100 sample banks between both sample banks as favourites bringing them to the top of the lists that otherwise will end up huge. Before I have even started to get series with this software,I have built up quite a list of sample banks. In theory this would be a god send.

1a) But to put the icing on the cake as they say I would suggest that these favourites sample bank list could be named and saved So in my ideal I would save my list so that it matches up with my playlist used) This will open up a great mental tool in remembering sets and what worked, and this in the future you should start building up a mental picture of your playlists and sample banks.

This has to be the simplest solution as suppose to a sample bank hierarchy I last thought about but would now no this would be impractical. All I can say is please .

Thank you for listening , to tell you the truth I think I will keep my suggestion all to my one post here if I can.
My mix page

Cross DJ user manual

Activated Soundwave

Postby BoldFaceType on 18 Apr 2014, 01:34

MixVibes,

Here's my 2 cents.

The good about 3.1 :

The Mix Contest:
Great idea. First one I've seen in a while. I think it should be done more often with an emphasis on generating content that adds value to the Cross platform. Best mapping for a new controller, best tip/trick of the month, etc. Rewards could be your map and name added to the next update, upgrades, karma, sample/loop/video content, or other gear.

RECORDING: the new options and the ability to post a mix in social media is great. Recording is one area where MV Cross stands out from it's competitors. The number, and variety of audio formats that Cross can play and record to gives it an advantage that should be further developed. Perhaps a remix competition, or Sampler tweek that takes advantage of the multi-track capabilities in the FLAC or OGG formats (may generate more specific ideas for future additions). Maybe the ability to play/record/pan-manipulate audio in surround sound 5.1 or 7.1? OMG Sound Font file support?!! Perhaps MV's new SoundBlaster partner could assist with implementing this.

EQ: with the 3.1 update, this seems to be an area where Cross is pulling ahead. Add the option to choose the High, Mid, and Low frequency range, in addition to a MIDI assign (Filter?). Seeing as how you've hooked up with Allen & Heath a Xone 62 or 92 preset would be quite proper.

New Ideas:

VST host/client : Would blow the lid off Cross. I'd love to use VST FX, and audio plugin's (DeckaDance).

MIDI Clock/Rewire - some friendly "play with friends" features that would take Cross to the next level. I'm currently looking for a DVS with tight integration to a DAW (The Bridge - Serato). I'd love to muti-track mix tapes, do proper remixes, record/manipulate automation. Cross is now the best DJ software for Linux, and BitWig is now the best DAW for Linux. Perhaps MV could work out a deal with them. And if not BitWig maybe Ableton?

Sampler DB rework - as was mentioned, the Sample Bank list can get really long, and a quicker way to browse it would be great. The suggestion of being able to add a Sample Bank to a playlist would be a good solution. Perhaps this could be converted into simple cells, or leveraged with FLAC or OGG formats (Remix decks - Tracktor).

Social Networks/MV Fourm:
I think are being under utilized. The resources of the community could be better leveraged to create content and add value to Cross. Look at DJTT. They're are using their community to do great things for Tracktor and Serato. The mix contest is a big step in the right direction, and I don't see any reason why MV can't do more of the same.

I realize some of these topics have been addressed in one form or another here in the fourms, so if I've missed a thread please let me know.

Overall, the MixVibes team is doing a slammin' job. The pace of updates is fast and steady. It seems like the company has raised the bar for everyone in the game. Keep up the good work Mixvibes, I really think it's paying off. Power thru to v.4.0 and then you'll have earned yourselves a short vacation. ;)

-BFT
Lenovo ThinkPad T510
- 240GB SSD
- Windows 10 Pro
- SP1 Intel Core i5 m520 @ 2.40GHz,
- 8.00 GB (3.86 GB usable), 64-bit os

Pioneer XDJ-R1
American Audio 14MXR
Technics SL1200 MK2 (Shure M44-7)

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8013)
Apple iPhone 6
U-Mix Control Pro 2 (semi-retired)
BoldFaceType

Postby elationdjs on 04 Jul 2014, 16:26

so what does get a teensy weensy bit frustrating is that when you go from folder to folder or playlist to playlist or smart crate and vice versa etc., it would be great if it remembered the last track highlighted and also keep that position on screen for when you go back to search that same list , so you don't end up having to scroll through to find your last location or track played, so it can waste valuable time or becomes a tedious action scrolling and looking again, (Its just one of those nice touches that makes the browsing and searching process a little bit better

+1 for this too, great idea.
elationdjs

Postby rhopkins on 06 Jul 2014, 04:07

elationdjs wrote:
so what does get a teensy weensy bit frustrating is that when you go from folder to folder or playlist to playlist or smart crate and vice versa etc., it would be great if it remembered the last track highlighted and also keep that position on screen for when you go back to search that same list , so you don't end up having to scroll through to find your last location or track played, so it can waste valuable time or becomes a tedious action scrolling and looking again, (Its just one of those nice touches that makes the browsing and searching process a little bit better

+1 for this too, great idea.

+1 from me too.

Really irritates me when you change the sort order of a playlist and move to another and it's in effect their too - sort order should be per playlist, in my opinion anyway
MacBook Pro - 15" (Mid 2014)
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Return to Suggestions