Gain normalization option?

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Gain normalization option?

Postby Idan Korenblum on 23 Apr 2014, 23:39

Is there any way to make Cross match the gain of the song to mix for the one that is playing? (for the situation of very marked volume difference of 2 songs).
Idan Korenblum

Re: Gain normalization option?

Postby RoJeC on 24 Apr 2014, 00:08

The analysis has a part that is Gain. This normalizes the volume over all tracks.
Sometimes the result is off, or unwanted. When this is the case you can change the default track value in the collection (the info pain seems to have a write bug in 3.1.0). You have to make the column for Gain visible by right-click on the header fields of the collection.

When live the tracks will not correct for actual volumes. Several faders cause the final volume (deckfader, deck gain, crossfader, filter, equalizers)
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby daniel clark on 24 Apr 2014, 00:10

:cool: are thease song anylised by Cross software ,, gain also ,, suprised at such a difference :cool: other than checking this ,, you will need to adjust the gain in track info to get them close and that setting will be saved ,, curious as to what Cross fader curve you have selected in perferences :cool:

check what rojec suggested first ,, :cool:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby Idan Korenblum on 24 Apr 2014, 00:30

RoJeC wrote:When live the tracks will not correct for actual volumes. Several faders cause the final volume (deckfader, deck gain, crossfader, filter, equalizers)

I didn't understand this part. What do you mean by "when live" ? The first part of your answer says Cross does normalize the gain, the you're saying playing live there is no volume correction? I'm confused.
Idan Korenblum

Postby daniel clark on 24 Apr 2014, 01:01

:cool: that seems about right ,, meaning live as a line input ,, acutaly passing thru the signal ,, Cross anyalise the tracks in collection and auto gain adjust the tracks ,,if you select this option in the anyalise function,,as rojec said found small bug in version 3.1 with storing the adjusted gain setting ,using info panel :cool:
MEMBER OF:

2014 dell XPS8700
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby DJ Vintage on 24 Apr 2014, 08:31

My personal opinion is DON'T use autogain (or cheap/free gain levelling tools for that matter) ever.

It's good practice to drop your track into a deck, quickly skip to a louder part and set the gain manually using the gain button and channel level meters. Then monitor it while playing to keep it from going over +3/+6 dB and (slightly) adjust when necessary.

If you want a tool, buy Platinum Notes. It is the only thing I know that has pretty advanced gain levelling technology and actually changes the volume of the track. So even if you play the track(s) on your phone, ipod, car or home stereo, they will all have the same relatively loudness.

It's not cheap software (and does a whole lot more than just the gain levelling), but it's the only thing I'd advice if you want to do something that is considered "auto-gain".

Just my two cents.

Greetinx.
DJ Vintage

Postby RoJeC on 24 Apr 2014, 11:00

original track volume + gain = default track volume on load/preview

'speaker volume' = default + live adjustments.
Where live adjustments = deckfader +/- deck gain +/- crossfader +/- filter +/- equalizers (+external mixer + ....)
--
Cross will not correct for live adjustments.

I am more positive on the auto gain than DJ Vintage, except for short samples. The corrections that he mentions do not disappear using a gain function; if you mix styles than volume and especially equalizing are an important 'job'.

To my opinion using the Cross defaults work fine for autoplay mode, which is like 'wallpaper'. For controlling a dancing crowd you'll always be busy (or be alert) changing minor settings to keep the flow.
For this having good quality tracks is really important; lower bitrate converters (generally) start with removing high and low parts. Not noticeable in 'cheaper' product, but when your used to it and have e.g. better monitors you'll notice tracks with bitrates under like 256 instantly. It isn't bad, but it misses a 'feeling'.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Idan Korenblum on 24 Apr 2014, 21:08

Ok, sorry for still not understanding.
I am new to this. If i mix, as in live (in a party) 2 songs with different volume (of the original files). In Cross they will have a more similar volume?
Idan Korenblum

Postby discopex on 24 Apr 2014, 22:32

Idan Korenblum wrote:Ok, sorry for still not understanding.
I am new to this. If i mix, as in live (in a party) 2 songs with different volume (of the original files). In Cross they will have a more similar volume?

Usually, yes. :cool:
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby daniel clark on 24 Apr 2014, 23:12

:cool: :cool: you have to anylise a song and either select all or just gain ,, as in another posting ,, the anylise option is avaible in the collection or playlist or smart list ,, so set up a collection and anylise the tracks , cntrl/a will highlight all the tracks and you can do all in one sweep ,, give it time its worth it :cool:
MEMBER OF:

2014 dell XPS8700
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor