Global search

Suggest features and improvements

Global search

Postby gullum on 04 Jul 2013, 22:09

When in a playlist and your playing at a gig suddenly you remember a song that just has to come next but it's not in the playlist. you need to go to track collection to search for it then go back to playlist to continue.
What would be really nice is if there was some kind of global search where the first finds would be matches in the playlist( or any list you are in) then matches form track collection after that maybe with a separator to see what is in the list and whats global.

this is also good when you get a request and you do a search without leaving the playlist can't find the request fine just continue playing from the playlist find it add it to playlist without even leaving the list.
Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Cross, Macbook Air 13" mid 2012 OS X Yosemite
https://www.Facebook.com/djgullum

gullum

Re: Global search

Postby fotistaz on 04 Jul 2013, 22:59

Hi there....even though i think that it's a good feature suggestion, I use a software called "everything".... It's a very small software that indexes all hard drives and performes search with lightning speed.....it's totally free.... ;)

http://www.voidtools.com/

Thanks
Peace
HP Elitebook 8460p i5 2520M
RAM: 8 Gb DDR3 1333MHz
SSD WD Green 250Gb
Int. HDD Toshiba 320Gb/5400 rpm
Ext HDD: WD 2 Tb
Win 10 64bit
Denon DN-MC6000
fotistaz

Postby gullum on 04 Jul 2013, 23:10

small problem for me :D it's only windows.
I can use finder or press tracks with the trackpad but I really like to touch the computer as little as possible while DJ'ing
Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Cross, Macbook Air 13" mid 2012 OS X Yosemite
https://www.Facebook.com/djgullum

gullum

Postby fotistaz on 04 Jul 2013, 23:14

:rolleyes: I see what you mean.....sorry I can't help you further (at least not for now), but I'll try to see if there's another option for Mac users.....till then....

Peace
HP Elitebook 8460p i5 2520M
RAM: 8 Gb DDR3 1333MHz
SSD WD Green 250Gb
Int. HDD Toshiba 320Gb/5400 rpm
Ext HDD: WD 2 Tb
Win 10 64bit
Denon DN-MC6000
fotistaz

Postby acemc on 28 Jul 2013, 21:11

+1
I had a gig last night where I ended up doing a lot of song searching,
Going back & forth from playlists & collection was really irritating.
MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
acemc

Postby djphaidon on 29 Jul 2013, 07:19

For mac, there is a free program called "Alfred" that opens a search interface and can reveal the folder of the song you typed in in finder. Then you could just drop the track into the player and be done with it. I have used this method a few times, but I prefer jumping back to the collection view and dropping the found track into the autoplay tab.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0
A&H Xone:DB4 / A&H Xone:K2 / QuNeo / iPad Lemur
15' MacBook Pro / 16Gb RAM

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Postby acemc on 29 Jul 2013, 22:20

Thanks for the info ;)
I'll put this to the test, could turn out to be a good alternative to spotlight, which I find does a poor job of indexing.
MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
acemc

Postby wendell on 05 Apr 2014, 05:13

Hey guys!

I'm all in for this one, global search is an option we gotta have that works 100%.

I've been DJ'ing on serato for a long time now, and one of the most important features is the global search option. If you're searching in your iTunes library or "crates", you can highlight the root and find all of your tracks no matter what subfolder or playlist the are in.

This is a feature I really endorse you to figure out with Cross 3. Most important weapon for a DJ is finding the tracks, fast and convenient. Now I see myself going back and forth from searching in collection and back in my "iTunes" playlists and this is kinda big time irritating.

It's all about the flow in how you do your work, please help us Mixvibes, we really wanna find our tracks the best way possible and In my opinion and many other, 100% global search is the best way to do it.

I really hope this will come in the next RC and should not be the worst to find out how to do :)

//EW
wendell

Postby discopex on 05 Apr 2014, 10:53

Meanwhile, it is somewhat quicker to drag the 'All music' icon to the sidebar, saves you an extra click.
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby HawnSolo on 09 Apr 2014, 02:50

discopex wrote:Meanwhile, it is somewhat quicker to drag the 'All music' icon to the sidebar, saves you an extra click.

This was the missing piece to the puzzle for me!
I came up with, IMO, a pretty good solution for a global search thanks to you discopex!

I managed to map 'Command+A' to go to my entire collection and mapped 'Command+S' to search.

Here's a quick tutorial for anyone who is interested.

First things first just drag the tracks icon in your collection into the side bar (aka "node dock") so it looks like this..
Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 5.15.49 PM.png

Then go into Cross's preferences, then to the keyboard tab and use the x2 button in the bottom left to duplicate the generic keyboard mapping you use and make it editable (Or implement this command into your own custom keyboard mapping).

Then you want to select the newly duplicated keyboard mapping and scroll down to the 'Tracks Racks' menu.
Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 5.24.27 PM.png

The two commands I added are 'Preform Secondary Action on Active Browsable" and "Browse Node Dock"
commandS+commandA.jpg

So now if you are browsing a playlist and need to search your whole collection it's as easy as hitting command+A then command+S.

I should note that the command+S will only search when you are browsing within the track window, if you go into the tree window it no longer functions.

Also if the setting for your command A does not select the all tracks icon try changing the number as it might not always be exactly like my setup.
-Hawn Solo

**A quick update**

I ran into some weirdness using command+a (it was sometimes selecting all tracks in the track browser and not going to my all tracks icon on the sidebar), so I changed it to control+a.

It works great now and always goes to my all tracks icon, no matter where I have last clicked.

Also there was some weirdness when I mapped some key commands using control, the little icon in the key map editor would only display 'cntrl + ', with no letter afterward, however it is still functioning correctly.

I managed to also map control+c to bring my back to the collection icon on the sidebar, which brings me right back to the last playlist I had open prior to hitting control+a.

Now the only thing that I can see that is needed is a search command that I can map to a key command that will work no mater where I have clicked last, though this works great for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HawnSolo

Next

Return to Suggestions