"Key" recognition on Cross

Suggest features and improvements

"Key" recognition on Cross

Postby ddjj on 22 Jun 2012, 00:13

Greetings:

I use Mixmeister to determine the key of each song. When making a smartlist to query B m (for instance), I cannot because Cross uses Bm (without the space), there are other examples that have two characters. I wish not have to edit hundreds of these. Can you have Cross recognize the space somehow, or have the "keycode" be implemented. B m would be 10A....would make it much simpler to use the chromatic scale.
Or maybe keycode is somewhere in the tag, I just don't how Cross sees it?

Thanks
DDJJ
Dell Inspiron with I7 processor
Windows 8.1
8 GB Ram, 1 TB Hard Drive
Audio 2 DJ Soundcard
Allen and Heath 62 Mixer 1
Quneo Controller
Internal Intel graphics card
GT 630m Nvidia Graphics Card
ddjj

Re: "Key" recognition on Cross

Postby KevMaverick on 22 Jun 2012, 16:38

That's strange because I've just checked, and my version does actually recognise the space.

I also use Mixmeister to determine the key of the songs.

For comparison I'm using:

Mixmeister Studio 7.2.2.0
Mixvibes Cross 1.7.1

Do these correspond to your versions?

I originally thought that the keycode information was stored in the individual .mxm filess created by Mixmeister, but I've checked and VDJ reads the keycode info and I'm certain that it's not getting the information from the .mxm file, but from the tag of the file itself.

I'll keep at it and let you know what I find. I do prefer to use the keycodes myself if I can as it a much clearer reference point.
Summer is here! Only 4 things we need - cold beer, hot ladies, loud music, and more cold beer!

March 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

HP Pavilion dv6
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5-2450M
6 GB DDR3 ram
750Gb sata hd
Dual graphics Intel & Radeon
Beats Audio sound system
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
KevMaverick

Postby KevMaverick on 22 Jun 2012, 17:20

UPDATE:

I've been researching the tags on the files and it seems that there is no field for 'keycode' in standard tags. Some programs create their own database, VDJ for instance, and when you choose to view the keycode field, it simply converts the key into keycode internally.

I did find a program that also saves the key AND keycode information in the 'group' field, which can be used in Cross. I'm pretty sure that the program was called 'Rapid Evolution' and is available here:

http://www.mixshare.com/software.html

Alternately, you could load your mp3s into a tag editor and sort them by key, then edit the 'group' field to contain the keycodes. Many tag editors will allow you to edit multiple tags at once.

(EDIT: Cross is pretty good at editing tags too! :D )

For example:

Sort your files, highlighting the songs with 'Am' or A m' in the key field, then enter '8A' in the 'group' field. You can then create a smartlist using 'Group' 'Is' '8A'. You could also have the smartlist ordered by bpm so it shows all the 8A tracks, in ascending or descending bpm order.

This doesn't correct the issue you have with the actual keys, but it is a work around that might be of some use to you.

I hope this helps.
Summer is here! Only 4 things we need - cold beer, hot ladies, loud music, and more cold beer!

HP Pavilion dv6
6 GB DDR3 ram
750Gb sata hd
Beats Audio sound system

MEMBER OF:
KevMaverick

Postby ddjj on 22 Jun 2012, 19:25

Greetings:

Thanks KevMaverick for the speedy and informative reply...I am using

Mixmeister 6.1.6
Cross 1.71.1

I just went into my smartlist and changed G#m (which I have 800 songs) to Bm. Unless I am doing something wrong-now I have 0 songs...which led me to believe Cross is not recognizing the space!
Other than the standard first three lines in the editor, all I have is is one line that contains "KEY", IS (or contains) and then Bm, and nothing, when I change to G#m, then songs appear....

If it works for you, then what am I doing wrong!

Thx
DDJJ
Windows 8.1
Audio 2 DJ Soundcard
Quneo Controller
ddjj

Postby KevMaverick on 22 Jun 2012, 20:22

Now I understand! I'm sorry I got it the wrong way round! :confused:

Right here's what I've come up with so far. I actually tried to create a smartlist using 'A m' as the filter, and my system does exactly the same as yours - it would recognise 'Am' but not 'A m'. So you are prefectly correct - the program is not recognising the space.

I'm pretty sure then that the problem is with the way that Mixmeister writes the tag info. I'm pretty annoyed as I've be scanning 15,000 files to get the key and didn't realise this problem until you mentioned it. :evil:

Here's what I'm going to do: I'll sort my collection by key, and convert the keys to a format that Cross uses. It shouldn't take too long as Cross can change the tags of multiple files, and uses a drop-down box to select the right value.

Annoying I know, but it's the only thing I think of right now.

Incidentally, I've checked the Mixmeister settings, and there's nothing we can do to change it. Also I've checked the same files with VDJ, and it's identifying the keys correctly, without the space!!

Sorry for the confusion! :confused:

HP Pavilion dv6
6 GB DDR3 ram
750Gb sata hd
Beats Audio sound system

MEMBER OF:
KevMaverick

Postby ddjj on 22 Jun 2012, 22:49

KevMaverick:

Ok, once again thanks for the quick reply....I guess I can change all my key codes with a tag editor...but I would hope that the developers of Cross could maybe delete this pull down, or add the two letter key codes with a space, so that maybe there would be both A m and Am...cant be that hard to edit on their end...LOL
I cant see the advantage to having the pull down anyway! So developers what do you say?

THX
DDJJ
Windows 8.1
Audio 2 DJ Soundcard
Quneo Controller
ddjj

Postby KevMaverick on 23 Jun 2012, 02:41

Yes - it would be great to have an intelligent key recognition system in place, but it's down to the old issue of resources. Not all of us have super-fast systems that can handle the power required to perform the task.

Perhaps it's a feature that can be built into future releases, where we don't have to rely on external programs. Accurate key identification/scanning would make this program better than anything else out there! :D

HP Pavilion dv6
6 GB DDR3 ram
750Gb sata hd
Beats Audio sound system

MEMBER OF:
KevMaverick

Postby ddjj on 27 Jun 2012, 08:25

KevMaverick:

I decided to use your "8A" grouping, etc... and so on suggestion to be able to use my songs harmonically...thanks for the tip! Better than using a tag editor.....I just need to be mindful of new songs to add them to the groups! The only thing that is taken away is the automatic updating, oh well!

Thx
DDJJ
Windows 8.1
Audio 2 DJ Soundcard
Quneo Controller
ddjj

Postby Support@MixVibes on 27 Jun 2012, 13:49

Why not use the smartlist ?
Support@MixVibes

Postby ddjj on 27 Jun 2012, 19:09

Greetings Support:

The reason for not using the smartlist is discussed at the beginning of the thread.....can't do it as Cross is structured!

Thx
DDJJ
Windows 8.1
Audio 2 DJ Soundcard
Quneo Controller
ddjj

Next