Export Playlists From Cross, Import Into iTunes Question

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Export Playlists From Cross, Import Into iTunes Question

Postby rhopkins on 20 Aug 2011, 14:35

This seems like it would be a really simple thing to do but I'm having trouble with it.

I export a playlist from Cross 1.6 and save as a .m3u file. If I view the contents of this file I see that it contains the directory path for each track, but when I import it into iTunes it is blank.

If I export a playlist from iTunes and view the contents there is some extra text in the playlist - for example:

Code: Select all
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:69,More Room - Luke Abbott
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Apparat\DJ-KiCKS\05 More Room.mp3
#EXTINF:332,Dumbshit - Addison Groove
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Addison Groove\Footcrab _ Dumb Word censored (guess you find it I love walking on it)\Dumbshit.mp3
#EXTINF:366,This It It - Addison Groove
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Addison Groove\This Is It _ Make Um Bounce\01 This It It.mp3
#EXTINF:350,Make Um Bounce - Addison Groove
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Addison Groove\This Is It _ Make Um Bounce\02 Make Um Bounce.mp3
#EXTINF:249,Footcrab - Addison Grove
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Addison Grove\Footcrab\Footcrab.mp3
#EXTINF:312,Out In The Streets - Africa Hitech
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Africa Hitech\93 Million Miles\03 Out In The Streets.mp3
#EXTINF:465,Quantum (Original Mix) - Agiman
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Agiman\Unknown Album\03 Quantum (Original Mix).mp3
#EXTINF:263,Kiss my soul - Agoria
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Agoria\Impermanence\01 Kiss my soul.mp3
#EXTINF:344,Souless dreamer - Agoria
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Agoria\Impermanence\02 Souless dreamer.mp3
#EXTINF:403,Panta rei - Agoria
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Agoria\Impermanence\03 Panta rei.mp3

The playlist exported from Cross looks like (different tracks, I know, but just giving an example):

Code: Select all
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Shed\The Traveller\03 The Bot.mp3
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Sepalcure\Fleur EP\02 Your Love.mp3
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Zomby\Dedication\07 Things Fall Apart.mp3
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\VARIOUS _ HESSLE AUDIO\116 & Rising (Back Catalog)\06 Rut.mp3
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\VARIOUS _ HESSLE AUDIO\116 & Rising (Back Catalog)\05 I Can_t Stop This Feeling.mp3
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Kuedo\Videowave EP\01 Take Off (Remix).mp3
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Kuedo\Videowave EP\04 Shutter Light Girl (Heterotic Rem.mp3
C:\UTsers\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Shackleton\fabric 55_ Shackleton\21 Massacre.mp3
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Spatial\Spatial\03 80207.mp3
C:\Users\Ross\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Photek\Closer\02 Closer (Pinch Remix).mp3

So is this a problem with Cross, iTunes or me!?

The reason I want to do this is as I want to sync the playlist to my iPhone. I actually did this before via Spotify, but I accidentally deleted it yesterday :redface: - the only copy I had of it was in Cross.
MacBook Pro - 15" (Mid 2014)
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Re: Export Playlists From Cross, Import Into iTunes Question

Postby christiankoopmann on 20 Aug 2011, 16:48

Hey,

Cross is creating only a simple M3U playlist without extra data. iTunes looks like it creates a M3U with extensions like metadata and a header.

A simple M3U is the one you postet second. There are only the filepathes.
A extended M3U is the first one. There you have a line which starts with #EXTINF: and after that is a number. This number indicates the length of the media file. After the length in seconds is a ',' and after that is the Title which is shown at a mediaplayer like your iPod or iPhone.

Normaly Cross and also iTunes should read both. Also the Mediaplayer should read them.

regards
Christian
February 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the Month
DVS 7, Cross (DJ), U-Mix Remote App (iPad & iPhone App)

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
christiankoopmann

Postby rhopkins on 20 Aug 2011, 16:55

I should've said, when I import the exported playlist from Cross into iTunes it doesn't contain any tracks.
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Postby christiankoopmann on 20 Aug 2011, 17:14

Hey,

I looked at the Apple Support Page and there is a thread where some people asking for a mostly the same problem. The have M3U like created with Winamp and can't open them with iTunes.

The problem is upcomming at iTunes 10.4. There is a problem with other data formats. here is the link to the thread: https://discussions.Apple.com/thread/3212825?start=0&tstart=0

I currently looks at the codec like it the one file written in ANSI or UTF-8 with BOM or without and so on.
I will give you an answer when I know how to import it. (With 10.3 I imported all my playlists so I thought it would work with the current version too.)

regards
Christian

MEMBER OF:
christiankoopmann

Postby christiankoopmann on 20 Aug 2011, 17:51

Hey,

I have a solution but it is not the best one. iTunes 10.4 has a bug with importing playlists. You can explort a playlist at iTunes and delete them and after import it again and it will not work. This is not realy helpful ;).

The solution is to edit the files. I prefere you to donwload Notepad++ and edit them. There you can use search and replace and also change the files to ANSI as UTF-8 (which is known as UTF8 without BOM).

You have to change every path to a file from:
C:\Musik\.....

to
file://localhost/C:/

As you can see you have to change also the \ to /. This will also work with search and replace.

After editing the file with these changes iTunes can read your m3u and you will see the files.

regards
Christian

MEMBER OF:
christiankoopmann

Postby UncleVibes on 20 Aug 2011, 22:45

I thought Apple products were bug free... :D
UncleVibes

Postby rhopkins on 23 Aug 2011, 20:29

christiankoopmann wrote:Hey,

I have a solution but it is not the best one. iTunes 10.4 has a bug with importing playlists. You can explort a playlist at iTunes and delete them and after import it again and it will not work. This is not realy helpful ;).

The solution is to edit the files. I prefere you to donwload Notepad++ and edit them. There you can use search and replace and also change the files to ANSI as UTF-8 (which is known as UTF8 without BOM).

You have to change every path to a file from:
C:\Musik\.....

to
file://localhost/C:/

As you can see you have to change also the \ to /. This will also work with search and replace.

After editing the file with these changes iTunes can read your m3u and you will see the files.

regards
Christian

Christian, helpful as ever. This worked and saved me a lot of heartache trying to remember an important playlist. Thank you!
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Return to Community Support