Denon MCX8000 Mapping

Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: Denon MCX8000 Mapping

Postby FigDJ on 08 Feb 2017, 13:53

Activated Soundwave wrote:Thanks for info, much appreciated, although would still be best using its own MIDI channel as in a few add on controllers I have tested their are a lot of clashes and I can not change the CC on my beatstep Pro they are fixed, although I am still learning a few things so I will still only testing out my options to use the controller for all the sampler functions including Freq roll.

Although I do not fully understand how the shift logic control works/what it is intended for, and only what I think is rite in that the Mods are like having more shift + choices ? I Have presumed and used that way in the past. :)

For your purposes I would recommend the Keith McMillan Quneo controller. It is very flexible as far as parameter and channel options and it is very powerful. I own 2 of those.

again thanks for the info and advice, I experiment in order too learn.
FigDJ

Postby Activated Soundwave on 08 Feb 2017, 14:32

FigDJ wrote:
Activated Soundwave wrote:Thanks for info, much appreciated, although would still be best using its own MIDI channel as in a few add on controllers I have tested their are a lot of clashes and I can not change the CC on my beatstep Pro they are fixed, although I am still learning a few things so I will still only testing out my options to use the controller for all the sampler functions including Freq roll.

Although I do not fully understand how the shift logic control works/what it is intended for, and only what I think is rite in that the Mods are like having more shift + choices ? I Have presumed and used that way in the past. :)

For your purposes I would recommend the Keith McMillan Quneo controller. It is very flexible as far as parameter and channel options and it is very powerful. I own 2 of those.

again thanks for the info and advice, I experiment in order too learn.

Thanks for advice, personally not really feeling Keith McMillan Quneo , not so keen on its layout, and not really planning on any more purchases for the next few years to be honest, money already going out on other equipment, and for me beatstep pro is perfectly laid out.
But either way its no urgent thing, just with a view to possibly sorting out what I mention if its not implementable in the future on the MCX . I appreciate the advice as always, :biggrin: :)
My mix page
http://www.mixcloud.com/SubJacent/

FAQ - http://mixvibes.com/faq/
Cross DJ user manual
http://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uplo ... manual.pdf

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

I do not use video at present so in my experience I only refer to mixing audio
Activated Soundwave

Postby Activated Soundwave on 09 Feb 2017, 12:36

You will need more confirmation, as I have only had a quick test,
I would say you need the controller to fully succeed in the mappings you choose.

None of the pads have any colour what so ever.
Also not a bug but the mode button colour/double colour is very confusing to keep track of where I am. So It would also be better if we had the mode buttons colour giving us indication if off or on instead of this 2-3 colours we have each press.

Also the mode buttons are not behaving even though I am following your instruction and pressing again to come out of each mode before the next is selected.
Also could not get roll too work.

Overall the way we have chose to do this is just not practical with extra press to come out of each mode as I suspected and I would not be able to do much in the way of mixing skills, only slow and not very fluent actions, ( I have to throw in the towel at the extra press to come out of each mode ). would be okay for you mobile DJS but just not practical for the likes of myself etc.
The browser scroll on left only scrolls down.
Their does not seem to be a vinyl mode,
I know you said we may need to adjusts platter setting, but its way off for me very limited as it stands it struggles and can completely stop when I touch platter.
Using samplers Deck C & D No Led on channels,
Gain controls keep For some reason not coordinating with the actions on screen and I struggled on Gain C to be able to use this.

Their is more, and no doubt with time you could sort this,
But for me overall its veering away from being set up for us mixers that need flow.
If this was sorted in the future I would suggest and even urge with mixvibes that you need separate mappings for us Full on mixers so to speak as their are controls wasted to me on the video stuff and much more important tools for us non video and non mobile DJ's that are not mapped ,
I Really Really appreciate you FigDJ and what you are doing, I do commend you. But got too take a back seat, Don't get me wrong if I have time and see anything I can do I will, but I have to go back over to Serato for the time being, I have extremely overdue mixes Because I keep letting the technologies rule me.
I will keep checking daily etc, but may not post for a while unless I feel I can help/have any use.
Cheers guys good luck.
My mix page

Cross DJ user manual

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

Activated Soundwave

Postby FigDJ on 09 Feb 2017, 16:01

Activated Soundwave wrote:None of the pads have any colour what so ever.

In any Mode?

Activated Soundwave wrote: Also not a bug but the mode button colour/double colour is very confusing to keep track of where I am. So It would also be better if we had the mode buttons colour giving us indication if off or on instead of this 2-3 colours we have each press.

Come to find out this is a hardware function. It will take either precise feedback or the physical controller to be mapped correctly.

Activated Soundwave wrote: Also the mode buttons are not behaving even though I am following your instruction and pressing again to come out of each mode before the next is selected.
Also could not get roll too work.
Too vague of a description to attempt a fix.

Activated Soundwave wrote: Overall the way we have chose to do this is just not practical with extra press to come out of each mode as I suspected and I would not be able to do much in the way of mixing skills, only slow and not very fluent actions, ( I have to throw in the towel at the extra press to come out of each mode ). would be okay for you mobile DJS but just not practical for the likes of myself etc.

At the beginning of the thread I asked for the preference and you replied that you rather have independent control and press the mode button when changing modes.

With the controller limitations there are 2 ways to make the modes work.
1. Pressing a mode switch will put all deck in that mode. Which means that whatever mode you are going to use the mode button will have to be pressed before any pad worked on the selected mode for all decks.
2. To change mode you must turn the previous mode off.

You selected #2.

Activated Soundwave wrote: The browser scroll on left only scrolls down.
Just a small adjustment.
Activated Soundwave wrote: Their does not seem to be a vinyl mode,
I know you said we may need to adjusts platter setting, but its way off for me very limited as it stands it struggles and can completely stop when I touch platter.
I can't do this work for you unless I have the physical controller to work with. This is something it is expected for users to work out unless someone provides the controller for mapping.
Activated Soundwave wrote:Using samplers Deck C & D No Led on channels,
This means that you forgot to turn off a mode somewhere. LED for samplers on deck C and D when selecting 3 or 4 on the controller are not mapped to avoid confusion.
Activated Soundwave wrote: Gain controls keep For some reason not coordinating with the actions on screen and I struggled on Gain C to be able to use this.
A detailed description of the condition in which this occurs would help.

Activated Soundwave wrote: Their is more, and no doubt with time you could sort this,
But for me overall its veering away from being set up for us mixers that need flow.
If this was sorted in the future I would suggest and even urge with mixvibes that you need separate mappings for us Full on mixers so to speak as their are controls wasted to me on the video stuff and much more important tools for us non video and non mobile DJ's that are not mapped ,
Who is US full on mixers? We are all DJs.

There are hardware and software limitations here.
On the software side
Cross does not have full conditional mapping as Serato, VDJ, and Rekordbox has. On the other hand in order to incorporate full conditional mapping the minimum system requirements will have to change as they have done in those software packages.

On the hardware side
IMHO the 8000 is a gimmick controller that doesn't provide the hardware under the hood for proper MIDI mapping unless you are using complex modes.

For Example: the 8000 only provides 16 hardware MIDI addresses to deal with the pads modes The matrix is 8 X 2=16
While the Pioneer DDJ-SX (a much older controller) provides a matrix of 8 X 16 = 128 available addresses. Even the Reloop Terminal Mix 8 provides a 8X8=64 matrix.

Finally, the biggest limitation is not having the controller at hand and rely on user feedback.
For me to map this correctly someone would have to come over to my place or ship the controller so I can map it.
In the meantime I will be putting out a much simpler version that will support 4 deck no samplers and another that will support 2 deck 2 samplers.
FigDJ

On the 10th i corrected some wording.

Postby Activated Soundwave on 09 Feb 2017, 23:42

I will reply tomorrow. but it is looking like the controller is needed to reach the full end goal, and obviously the screens in the future.

But In relation too your question in my wording "Who is US full on mixers " you said "We are all DJs.?

full on mixers / mixers mixer
I could not find the words so this is meaning those that utilise their mixing much more than others and despite (some) may get stroppy over such remarks that is unfortunately their misunderstanding, Its all about the little techniques and the way we approach things,

To unquestionably sum things up without what seem like insults:

Its like:
A first time learner :right: :right: - a basic radio /mobile DJ :right: - a club mixer :right: - a super star DJ who is not so good :right: - to one the is outstanding :right: - Scratch DJ / One who thinks about more intricacy and types of mixes others do not need, and in many cases don't even know exist and will deny to themselves, never mind would even experiment to those levels.
So no questioning these few groups of users with more I could throw in by way of example, that their is a huge difference so a mixers mixer (is the wording I should
have used but not what I thought you would get unless from UK ) is a common word amounting to the same wording /full on DJ with the skill level, I have heard and used to express many times over the last 30 years here in the UK, and its not that difficult to grasp this concept.

Steve jobs: "its not that they do not want this its just that they do not know they want this or need this yet" !!!!
and only after I watched the jobs film the other week I see the same ideal, pushing boundary in many aspect of what we refer to, so personally with this depth and 99.9% of knowledge I have through 100% of time served, I have never done anything else in life, I know what I am talking about with such things ( maybe not the correct wording on times ) but something I hope to improve on, and the programming is beyond me and does not interest because I am a concepts guy with an almost untarnished daily if not on occasion weekly regime , not many with this record of experience,
So you see I have to be true in this explanation, you either get it, maybe grasp it, think you grasp it or never will. So many divisions and sub devisions , Yes its about the music and yes for many its living the music, how many can say its really saved your life many times on the cusp of really nothingness and put their life into over all else and I mean all else, so I have to try and find words in brief to sum all these things up, it is not going to happen is it.

Full on mixer,
the mixers mixer Is that DJ we may aspire to that is better than us, so to this question you asked ? it is that DJ with that deeper knowledge and understanding we aspire to in our own mixing. So he is a mixers mixer (full on mixer), for those that appreciate such concepts we look up to and appreciate.
I know I do appreciate a DJ like this with the magic. We all have our own ideals and methods, but I would never rule out learning and despite considering my self up their as one of the best in what I do, I will always aspire to do better, yet looking at it from another angle a beginner or certain other DJs that would see my mixing for example live close up may very well think I was a mixers mixer ( I would be a full on mixer to them ) Do you get it yet ?
My mix page

Cross DJ user manual

Activated Soundwave

Re: On the 10th i corrected some wording.

Postby FigDJ on 10 Feb 2017, 16:01

Activated Soundwave wrote:I will reply tomorrow. but it is looking like the controller is needed to reach the full end goal, and obviously the screens in the future.

But In relation too your question in my wording "Who is US full on mixers " you said "We are all DJs.?

I could not find the words so this is meaning those that utilise their mixing much more than others and despite (some) may get stroppy over such remarks that is unfortunately their misunderstanding, Its all about the little techniques and the way we approach things,

Its like:
A first time learner :right: :right: - a basic radio /mobile DJ :right: - a club mixer :right: - a super star DJ who is not so good :right: - to one the is outstanding :right: - Scratch DJ / One who thinks about more intricacy and types of mixes others do not need, and in many cases don't even know exist and will deny to themselves, never mind would even experiment to those levels.
So no questioning these few groups of users with more I could throw in by way of example, that their is a huge difference so a mixers mixer (is the wording I should
have used but not what I thought you would get unless from UK ) is a common word amounting to the same wording /full on DJ with the skill level, I have heard and used to express many times over the last 30 years here in the UK, and its not that difficult to grasp this concept.

Steve jobs: "its not that they do not want this its just that they do not know they want this or need this yet" !!!!
and only after I watched the jobs film the other week I see the same ideal, pushing boundary in many aspect of what we refer to, so personally with this depth and 99.9% of knowledge I have through 100% of time served, I have never done anything else in life, I know what I am talking about with such things ( maybe not the correct wording on times ) but something I hope to improve on, and the programming is beyond me and does not interest because I am a concepts guy with an almost untarnished daily if not on occasion weekly regime , not many with this record of experience,
So you see I have to be true in this explanation, you either get it, maybe grasp it, think you grasp it or never will. So many divisions and sub devisions , Yes its about the music and yes for many its living the music, how many can say its really saved your life many times on the cusp of really nothingness and put their life into over all else and I mean all else, so I have to try and find words in brief to sum all these things up, it is not going to happen is it.

Full on mixer,
the mixers mixer Is that DJ we may aspire to that is better than us, so to this question you asked ? it is that DJ with that deeper knowledge and understanding we aspire to in our own mixing. So he is a mixers mixer (full on mixer), for those that appreciate such concepts we look up to and appreciate.
I know I do appreciate a DJ like this with the magic. We all have our own ideals and methods, but I would never rule out learning and despite considering my self up their as one of the best in what I do, I will always aspire to do better, yet looking at it from another angle a beginner or certain other DJs that would see my mixing for example live close up may very well think I was a mixers mixer ( I would be a full on mixer to them ) Do you get it yet ?

I appreciate what you are saying in your explanation. From my part I thought that you sounded a little arrogant but that is just the vibe that I got.

I tend to be as humble as possible when it comes to DJing. There are many DJs of all levels here and their intend (at least mine) goes beyond equipment, tech details or mixing techniques.
To me it doesn't matter if you are using great equipment or displaying awesome techniques that DJs appreciate. You could have very simple ways of mixing but if you making that crowd fill up the dance floor then you are doing it right. For that matter you can be a novice or a DJ with many years of experience, however, if you don't have the talent to read people, make them fill the dance floor and forget about life difficulties while you are playing then equipment or technique doesn't matter.

Anyway that is my rant. Let us not deviate from the objective of this thread which is to get the 8000 fully functional with Cross.
FigDJ

Re: On the 10th i corrected some wording.

Postby Activated Soundwave on 11 Feb 2017, 17:44

FigDJ wrote:
Activated Soundwave wrote:I will reply tomorrow. but it is looking like the controller is needed to reach the full end goal, and obviously the screens in the future.

Its like:

Full on mixer,

I appreciate what you are saying in your explanation. From my part I thought that you sounded a little arrogant but that is just the vibe that I got.

I tend to be as humble as possible when it comes to DJing. There are many DJs of all levels here and their intend (at least mine) goes beyond equipment, tech details or mixing techniques.
To me it doesn't matter if you are using great equipment or displaying awesome techniques that DJs appreciate. You could have very simple ways of mixing but if you making that crowd fill up the dance floor then you are doing it right. For that matter you can be a novice or a DJ with many years of experience, however, if you don't have the talent to read people, make them fill the dance floor and forget about life difficulties while you are playing then equipment or technique doesn't matter.

Anyway that is my rant. Let us not deviate from the objective of this thread which is to get the 8000 fully functional with Cross.

I appreciate your understanding and in turn I fully understand what you say it is 100% correct. Never arrogant I am in reality extremely humble, best way to be as a DJ, once I leave my mind and forums with such things behind, Its about the end result and the enjoyment the Listeners get, and its not always about skill the first thing for me is track selection and the way its put together, although that another story and another set of strict rules I have personally. But overall I look for the passion that comes out and emotion and being different from the last/next DJ.

I will make a more accurate list of the things I found that need addressing on Monday guaranteed.
Would also be great if we could discuss doing a 2nd take on the mapping which is more for those that use other aspects instead of the Video side of things, so as to utilise a few controls I think may benefit a percentage of us. I have a few ideas based on past controllers I messed with and in relation to this MCX now.

Speak Monday sometime.
My mix page

Cross DJ user manual

Activated Soundwave

Postby acemc on 13 Feb 2017, 21:49

Wow, lots has happened since I was last here.
Activated Soundwaves, you seem rather unappreciative of all the work & effort FigDJ has put into this mapping. Don't forget, he doesn't own a 8000. He's basically 'mapping in the dark' There are MANY conflicts between what is written in the MIDI list that Denon provided & what the actual controller does. With that said, I do understand your feeling of frustration in that Mixvibes should provide proper support for this unit and I agree whole-heartedly. But for now, all we can do is try help each other. Thanks for the mapping FigDJ, I will try it out tonight & give some feedback. Respect bud!
MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
acemc

Postby Activated Soundwave on 15 Feb 2017, 14:53

acemc wrote:Wow, lots has happened since I was last here.
Activated Soundwaves, you seem rather unappreciative of all the work & effort FigDJ has put into this mapping. Don't forget, he doesn't own a 8000. He's basically 'mapping in the dark' There are MANY conflicts between what is written in the MIDI list that Denon provided & what the actual controller does. With that said, I do understand your feeling of frustration in that Mixvibes should provide proper support for this unit and I agree whole-heartedly. But for now, all we can do is try help each other. Thanks for the mapping FigDJ, I will try it out tonight & give some feedback. Respect bud!

Can you tell me what has lead you that fact that I was not appreciative Of FigDj ?

And think I have put in some hours too so I don't see your point ?

And no harm in mentioning that we could do with a second mapping for the reason I mention and much I have not yet mentioned,

Where is the harm in being honest and too the point, if other would like too read into what is not their, then that is their creation.
Dammed if I do dammed if I don't,
I will mention what I know will benefit me and I know in turn it will benefit a large percentage of new and older users too, is one not allowed to disagree on certain aspects or changes as supposed to the standard model ?? does not make me arrogant or unappreciative.

Silly this, it does get frustrating for me having to explain all this stuff over and over, it was quite clear the first time, questions are one thing, but to feel ridiculed is one way I could perceive some lines of questioning.
All I want too doo is my musical art and help others with this where and if I can and move into the future of what I can almost see in relation to the best DJ software, and also if I can make suggestion that will benefit others but not impact on those who are happy in their ways, then that is good yes? so why not.

and in no way have I been angling at having any pops at anyone here. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

So lets start over !!!! :) :) :) :) :)
My mix page

Cross DJ user manual

Activated Soundwave

Postby Activated Soundwave on 16 Feb 2017, 16:49

FigDJ you mentioned about just doing a basic 4 deck control until you have access too the controller, I think that is Probably for the best as I also suggested, as we both know its just far too complex too do in the way we have been trying to communicate.

In relation to the basic 4 deck mapping,
map 20 you had the bit of info and you replied about being a few minor adjustments and you know which decks need the adjustment.

I also mentioned about pad colour, so to confirm no colour on any pads or modes including the Neutral colour/off states.

If you let us know what you want testing on the next version We can take it from their.

Thanks .
My mix page

Cross DJ user manual

Activated Soundwave

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping Midi