Denon MCX8000 Mapping

Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: Denon MCX8000 Mapping

Postby acemc on 30 Jan 2017, 20:50

Hey FigDj.
Once again thanks for all your input here & responding so quick. I'll try adjusting the jog wheel things as u suggested. Most of the things you mentioned are indeed just my personal preference, like the x-fader start. Its fun to play with, but not too sure how practical it really is. I only mapped ML1 coz there are carts of the controller that give the same MIDI messages whether shift is pressed or not - very stupid! Anyway regarding the level meters, the conflict is only on the master meters. The channel meters are fine (although they do seem to be a bit high). I've actually been having fun mapping & learning more about the controller & software capabilities. I actually captured data to & from the displays when using MIDI monitor, but don't have a clue what thats for...
MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
acemc

Deleted irrelevant post now

Postby Activated Soundwave on 31 Jan 2017, 00:12

Deleted irrelevant post now :redface: to clean up this thread a little .
Last edited by Activated Soundwave on 01 Feb 2017, 12:02, edited 4 times in total.
My mix page
http://www.mixcloud.com/SubJacent/

FAQ - http://mixvibes.com/faq/
Cross DJ user manual
http://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uplo ... manual.pdf

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

I do not use video at present so in my experience I only refer to mixing audio
Activated Soundwave

Postby FigDJ on 31 Jan 2017, 16:36

MCX8000(Denon DJ)(12B).mappings
acemc wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.
FigDj - I did some reading up on System Exclusive messages, apparently the "F0" part of the Code tells the controller that it is a SysEx message.

Sysex messages in XML for MIDI mapping (with Cross) are expressed as a parameter, a channel and a value. The value using F0 is a guess. However, you may want to try it. it might work, the only thing is that it is in the wrong section. The sysex is not a command but a request for status. Commands go from the controller into the software so they are located in the input section.

Request messages and LED messages go from the software to the MIDI device and they located on the output section. Your sysex message should be the 1st command in the output section as it is the software requesting status. (it should be a note)

acemc wrote:The auto loop button flashes when engaged as does the adjust & slide led's, when adjust is pressed to show beat adjust mode is active. All 4 decks should be working quite nicely now.

The way you mapped the LEDs if you try it in a dark room they are not going to work well. The number given for duration is in milliseconds so a 100 means .1 seconds of duration in that state. I got a feeling that using less than a 100 is not going to work well.
example
duration=250, that 250 milliseconds which means that state last 1/4 of a second. Also when trying to make LEDs blink your values for intensity should be absolute either 127 or 0 unless you are dealing with multicolor LED (like in the pads) in which case the intensity values does not determine intensity but color instead.

You should get way from using ML along with the shift button. With that configuration the pad LEDs will not work correctly for all modes. I am working on all of this but taking my time to get right.

I saw that you changed the values for the jog wheels, are those values now working correctly? That is something I can't test for.

The map included in this post is the same as you uploaded except that I disabled the master LED. The question on this is, with that disabled, does the MASTER METER LEDs work correctly now.

Try the following in the output section for a sysex command.
Code: Select all
      </input-mappings>
      <output-mappings>
        <device-event name="StateRequest">
          <MIDI type="Note" parameter="0x9" channel="0xf" value="127"/>
        </device-event>
Notice that it should be the 1st command in the output section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FigDJ

Postby acemc on 31 Jan 2017, 20:06

Hi again.
Ok I'm learning in heaps & bounds right now.
The sysex message being in the output section makes LOTS of sense. I'll try it tonight & just test by putting various numbers in, maybe I get lucky :D
Also when trying to make LEDs blink your values for intensity should be absolute either 127 or 0 unless you are dealing with multicolor LED (like in the pads) in which case the intensity values does not determine intensity but color instead.

The reason I have put 1's instead of 0's is because I discovered something that isn't on the 8000 MIDI list. 0=off; 1=dim; 127=bright. So I was thinking instead of switching the led totally off, it could just flash bright & dim. If you think that's gonna give issues I'll rather put it back to 0. I also started mapping the modes using the shift selector - It works like a charm!! But as you said - it affects all the decks. I think it would work if we actually had more than seven, but then 8 per deck (32 modifiers) would just be crazy anyways. FigDj, can you please give me an example of code for output on a shift locator? I tried using what I have on the Aliases text I downloaded, but I can't seem to get it to work.... Regarding the jog wheels, I have tried many different values but just can't get it 100%. If a scrub a beat over & over, I find my hand is drifting forwards & backwards. It just doesn't stay on the same spot? If I increase the sensitivity the slightest touch makes the playhead move almost halfway through the track. I'm really battling to find the sweet spot. Ok, that's all for now. Speak soon. Regards Ace.
MEMBER OF:
acemc

Postby FigDJ on 31 Jan 2017, 21:41

acemc wrote:Hi again.
Ok I'm learning in heaps & bounds right now.
The sysex message being in the output section makes LOTS of sense. I'll try it tonight & just test by putting various numbers in, maybe I get lucky :D
Also when trying to make LEDs blink your values for intensity should be absolute either 127 or 0 unless you are dealing with multicolor LED (like in the pads) in which case the intensity values does not determine intensity but color instead.

The reason I have put 1's instead of 0's is because I discovered something that isn't on the 8000 MIDI list. 0=off; 1=dim; 127=bright. So I was thinking instead of switching the led totally off, it could just flash bright & dim. If you think that's gonna give issues I'll rather put it back to 0. I also started mapping the modes using the shift selector - It works like a charm!! But as you said - it affects all the decks. I think it would work if we actually had more than seven, but then 8 per deck (32 modifiers) would just be crazy anyways. FigDj, can you please give me an example of code for output on a shift locator? I tried using what I have on the Aliases text I downloaded, but I can't seem to get it to work.... Regarding the jog wheels, I have tried many different values but just can't get it 100%. If a scrub a beat over & over, I find my hand is drifting forwards & backwards. It just doesn't stay on the same spot? If I increase the sensitivity the slightest touch makes the playhead move almost halfway through the track. I'm really battling to find the sweet spot. Ok, that's all for now. Speak soon. Regards Ace.

Right now I am working on finishing the lights. I try to give you an idea on how I am doing this.

Deck 1 Deck 2
No ML Hotcue No ML Hotcue
ML1 Loop ML2 Loop
SLICER Button Trigger SLICER Slicer Button Trigger SLICER
Same mode as Sampler Same mode as Sampler
ML5 Sampler1 ML6 Sampler2

Deck 3 Deck 4
No ML Hotcue No ML Hotcue
ML3 Loop ML4 Loop

I finished doing all the commands and now I am working on the LEDS. After that I'll do refinements and tricks using Shift Selector.

The LED intensity (NON-color LEDs) is set in steps from 0=off 1=minimum 127=maximum. If you want to try the values 63 and 127 for dim and bright. However note that low intensity settings on non-color LEDs will burn the LED faster than normal.

What do want the LED ring around the jog to do?
I can make blink at the beat of the music, make it give you a progress indicator for the track and then blink with the en of track warning.....
FigDJ

Postby acemc on 31 Jan 2017, 23:21

Wow, you've done a lot already!!!
When using it with Serato, the led's are always on dim (same brightness as using value 1). They go bright when the button is pressed etc... I'm not sure putting them on half brightness will be a good idea, We've already got cue led brightness issues. Denon used led's too close in brightness to each other, so in the dark, it looks like the cue button in on even though it's off!! Denon promised to fix it in a firmware update, but they never delivered. Regarding the Jog Led's: IF......... there is any possible way to get them to follow the beat keeper (red/yellow rotating circle) That would be 1st class, otherwise I personally feel it would be better to let it increase with the length of the track playing and then flash for end of track warning. Something I noticed when playing with Bomes software is that the jog led's work in steps of 2 whereas the MIDI command list says after each consecutive number (but it doesn't). I can't wait to see your mapping #excited. Oh! By the way, the master Led's are working perfectly now!! Thanks FigDj.
MEMBER OF:
acemc

Postby Activated Soundwave on 01 Feb 2017, 11:59

acemc wrote:Wow, you've done a lot already!!!
When using it with Serato, the led's are always on dim (same brightness as using value 1). They go bright when the button is pressed etc... I'm not sure putting them on half brightness will be a good idea, We've already got cue led brightness issues. Denon used led's too close in brightness to each other, so in the dark, it looks like the cue button in on even though it's off!! Denon promised to fix it in a firmware update, but they never delivered. Regarding the Jog Led's: IF......... there is any possible way to get them to follow the beat keeper (red/yellow rotating circle) That would be 1st class, otherwise I personally feel it would be better to let it increase with the length of the track playing and then flash for end of track warning. Something I noticed when playing with Bomes software is that the jog led's work in steps of 2 whereas the MIDI command list says after each consecutive number (but it doesn't). I can't wait to see your mapping #excited. Oh! By the way, the master Led's are working perfectly now!! Thanks FigDj.

same here I think its sounding like you are doing fine so far, great job, and too me its seems like the 4 cue buttons are much better now than the brightness issues in serato so I am happy with this now in Cross, again I say well done.
My mix page
http://www.mixcloud.com/SubJacent/

FAQ - http://mixvibes.com/faq/
Cross DJ user manual
http://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uplo ... manual.pdf

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

I do not use video at present so in my experience I only refer to mixing audio
Activated Soundwave

Postby FigDJ on 02 Feb 2017, 17:13

Test Request

Now knowing that the mode LEDs work with hardware independent of software. I like to request the following test. I think I asked for it before but the thread is very long now so if it is a repeat please bare with me.

With the controller plug to power but not to the computer.
1. Witch mode light come on if any?
I expect this to be the HOTCUE Mode LED.
2. If it is the HOTCUE Mode LED, what is the color?
I expect this to be blue.

3. Press ROLL mode.
Need to STATUS of the following. ON or OFF. If on What color?
CUE Mode LED
ROLL Mode LED
SLICER Mode LED
SAMPLER Mode LED

4. Press SLICER mode.
CUE Mode LED
ROLL Mode LED
SLICER Mode LED
SAMPLER Mode LED

5. Press SMAPLER mode.
CUE Mode LED
ROLL Mode LED
SLICER Mode LED
SAMPLER Mode LED

6.Turn the controller off and back on.

Assuming the HOTCUE mode LED is on.
PRESS the ROLL Mode.
CUE Mode LED
ROLL Mode LED
SLICER Mode LED
SAMPLER Mode LED

7. Press the ROLL mode a second time
CUE Mode LED
ROLL Mode LED
SLICER Mode LED
SAMPLER Mode LED

8. Press the SLICER mode
CUE Mode LED
ROLL Mode LED
SLICER Mode LED
SAMPLER Mode LED

This will be of great help to create a logical operation sequence for the different pad modes. I already mapped all of this but need verification in order to add, delete or modify some of the commands as required.
FigDJ

Postby acemc on 02 Feb 2017, 21:56

From Power On:

1) Hotcue Mode On
2) Hotcue led is Dark Blue, Pads are white, All other mode led's Wht.
3) Roll Mode On
Roll led is Cyan (Pads all Cyan & Dark Blue When Pressed), All others White.
4) Slicer Mode On
Slicer led is Red (Pads all Red & Blue when running with beat), All others White.
5) Sampler Mode On
Sampler led is Purple/Pink (Pads all light Purple/Pink goes darker Purple/Pink when sample is loaded, Flashes when playing), All others white.
6) Exactly the same as stated aboveabove.
7) Saved Loop Mode On - Mode led is mustard colour (dark off yellow) All the mode led's WHT. Pads same colour as mode led = Mustard.
8) Slicer Mode On. All colours as stated above (1st press).
2nd press of Slicer Mode activates Slicer Loop Mode. All colours are reversed. IE: Slicer led is Blue, Pads all Blue & turn Red on the Beat)

Hope this helps.
MEMBER OF:
acemc

Postby acemc on 02 Feb 2017, 21:59

BTW, just to make sure - The MODE led's light up as stated.
The pads Don't light up when not connected to the PC. I'm just informing you of the color scheme used in Serato with the pads. Sorry for any confusion.
MEMBER OF:
acemc

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping Midi