MAPPING FOR DDJ SR

Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: MAPPING FOR DDJ SR

Postby MikeFossati on 21 May 2014, 21:58

I think that i already say that but im not sure.
If you use the quad decks mode with "3 players + 1 sampler C"
and if you use DECK A and choose SAMPLER (6.12)
you can staying on DECK A and use the samplers of the DECK C .
But if you are on DECK B or D and choose SAMPLER (6.12),
its impossible to use the samplers of DECK C.

Verson 14A works fine for me, I can use the sampler independent of the selected deck (A, B, C or D) on the DDJ-SR.
MikeFossati

Postby MikeFossati on 21 May 2014, 21:59

FigDJ wrote:Thanks for the input. I will take a look tonight.

You're welcome. Thanks for all the time you invest in creating the mappings.
MikeFossati

Postby djsamrties on 21 May 2014, 22:53

Hello everybody,
sorry, i still be busy..

- the problem with SHIFT + JOG that change time display is resolved. very fine. But i think that use hotcue to change the time display is not a very good solution because you will probably change the display time even if you dont want. I think it could be more useful to setup this with SHIFT + HOTCUE.

- FX ASSIGN LED. I have tested that with V14.A
and this is what it happens :
Channel 1 selected =LED1 on (all others off) : OK
Channel 2 selected =LED2 on (all others off) : OK
Channel 3 selected =LED1 on but dim (all others off) : NO everything is OFF
Channel 4 selected =LED2 on but dim (all others off) : NO everything is OFF
Master selected = LED in the FX section on (all LEDs in FX Assign section off) : OK

- the problem with samplers and deck B and D continue to doesnt work. If i have DECK A, DECK B, SAMPLER C and DECK D, i can use the SAMPLER C if i am on DECK C or if i am on DECK A and choose SAMPLER button (6.12).
But if i am on DECK B or D its not possible.

- And now about the browser section :

I think that it absolutely not a good idea to change the functions of the command depending if you are in left, center or right column. Because when you are playing, you never know in which column you are.

For me, this is the best way :

ROTARY, ROTARY PUSH and BACK buttons should be use only to navigate between the different columns.

For the moment, BACK button :
in the DOCK : allow to jump from DOCK to TREEVIEW
in the TREEVIEW : allow to jump from TREEVIEW to BROWSER
in the BROWSER : allow to jump from BROWSER to DOCK.
And for the moment ROTARY PUSH :
in the DOCK : do nothing
in the TREEVIEW : Allow to open, for exemple, "playlists menu" but you cant go to the BROWSER when you select a playlist and use ROTARY PUSH.
in the BROWER : on / off prelisten

But it could really better if it coul be like that :

BACK button :
in the DOCK : do nothing
in the TREEVIEW : allow to jump from TREEVIEW to DOCK
in the BROWSER : allow to jump from BROWSER to TREEVIEW.

ROTARY PUSH :
in the DOCK : allow to jump from the DOCK to the TREEVIEW
in the TREEVIEW : Allow to open, for exemple, "playlists menu" AND then allow to jump from the TREEVIEW to the BROWSER when you are on a playlist and use ROTARY PUSH.
in the BROWER : on / off prelisten.

When i describe this, i just want to have the best and more intuitive way to navigate in the browser. If its not possible to change this, its not indispensable.

This is the more important thing. And if i explain that like this, this is because this buttons (ROTARY PUSH and BACK) are the only buttons that have to change the functions depending if you are in the left, center or right column. But for the following buttons, they have to do the same thing all the time.

this is the main functions who dont have to be change :

LOAD PREPARE : load in prepare
LOAD A : load a or c
LOAD B : loab b or d

after that, this is what i suggest or simply agree with you ;) :

SHIFT + ROTARY PUSH : Expand Collapse Collection
SHIFT + BACK = Switch between Sampler C and Player C
SHIFT + LOAD PREPARE = Switch between Sampler D and Player D
SHIFT + LOAD A : switch between 2 players or 4 players
SHIFT + LOAD B : i dont know, we can keep this for a future idea ;)

To switch between the different sampler bank, it could be more usefull to use SHIFT + SAMPLER (6.12). By pressing SHIFT + SAMPLER, you jump from one bank sampler to another, in the same way that when you choose an fx.
djsamrties

Postby djsamrties on 21 May 2014, 23:06

i just see the last answer of mikefossati and i am very surprised that you can use sampler independent of the selected deck.

i will try to describe what i mean to be sure that we speak about the same thing.
When you choose the "QUAD DECKS MODE", you can choose between :

- 2 players + 2 samplers
- 3 players + 1 sampler C
- 3 players + 1 sampler D
- 4 players

this is what happens for me :

If i choose "2 players + 2 samplers", actually i can use samplers with all the deck 1, 2, 3 and 4.

but if i choose 3 players + 1 sampler C, i can use samplers when deck 1 and 3 (so A and C) are selected but not when deck 2 and 4 are selected.

is this what you have mike ?
djsamrties

Postby FigDJ on 22 May 2014, 01:33

djsamrties wrote:Hello everybody,
sorry, i still be busy..

- the problem with SHIFT + JOG that change time display is resolved. very fine. But i think that use hotcue to change the time display is not a very good solution because you will probably change the display time even if you dont want. I think it could be more useful to setup this with SHIFT + HOTCUE.

Good that is resolved, I could also suggest that
Shift+ a quick tap to the platter can be map to the time mode command also.

I will take it out of the HOTCUE in the next version.
The SHift+HOTCUE (also called the HOTCUE BLINK)
Turns he pads into the beatgrid command.
Turn on beatgrid and the pads become the commands for beatgrid automatically. Press HOTCUE and the pad return to HOTCUE mode while keeping the beatgrid on. All the command pad are in the very early text file that I included with all the commands.

djsamrties wrote:- FX ASSIGN LED. I have tested that with V14.A
and this is what it happens :....

Got your feedback on the FX Assign section. Will take a look and keep on trying.
djsamrties wrote:- the problem with samplers and deck B and D continue to doesnt work. If i have DECK A, DECK B, SAMPLER C and DECK D, i can use the SAMPLER C if i am on DECK C or if i am on DECK A and choose SAMPLER button (6.12).
But if i am on DECK B or D its not possible.

You may have to do a reset in in your controller following you DDJ-SR manual. Also make sure that you have the latest Pioneer firmware that can be downloaded from their website.

One last thing, On the DDJ-SR as well as on the SX if you push sampler for more than 1 second it goes into pad velocity mode. This mode is a hardware function make sure that you are not in velocity mode for the pads. Is in your manual, sorry can't remember what page.
djsamrties wrote:- And now about the browser section :

I think that it absolutely not a good idea to change the functions of the command depending if you are in left, center or right column. Because when you are playing, you never know in which column you are.

When I was talking about left, center, and right I was not referring to the columns, I was referring to the position of the buttons in the controller because at the time I was typing I was not using my computer so I did not have the documentation with me.

When you look at the controller the rotary is dead center, to the left is back and to the right is prepare.

What I was suggesting for navigation was
Rotary
SELECTOR = Browse Active Browsable
Just browse in whichever column you have selected.

S+SELECTOR = Change Active Browsable
Move back or forward from column to column.

PUSH SELECTOR = Perform Primary Action On Active Browsable
Push to either open a directory or playlist or on/off preview if browsing tracks, basically perform primary command for whichever column is active.

S+PUSH SELECTOR = Full Screen
Changes from window to full screen and back

BACK = Expand Collapse Collection
Changes from GUI view to expanded collection view and back
S+BACK = Switch Sampler PlayerC

I know that you have explained the way you prefer it couple of times. I am just trying to offer you alternatives because in the configuration that you requested some command would have to be given up and others are impossible.

For instance
BACK button in the DOCK = do nothing
Impossible
Swithching from 2 to 4 players
there is no MIDI command for this
djsamrties wrote:To switch between the different sampler bank, it could be more usefull to use SHIFT + SAMPLER (6.12). By pressing SHIFT + SAMPLER, you jump from one bank sampler to another, in the same way that when you choose an fx.

Shift+ Sampler also know as Sampler Blink is reserved for visual switching like beatmacher on/off
fx section on/off
locators on/off
All this is also on the text file that I included before.
FigDJ

Postby djsamrties on 22 May 2014, 16:25

FigDJ wrote:Good that is resolved, I could also suggest that
Shift+ a quick tap to the platter can be map to the time mode command also.

What do you mean with "SHIFT + a quick tap to the platter" ? Do you mean the main platter that we use to scratch ? i prefer to dont have to touch this except for mixing if possible. I think i will be afraid to perturb the music but perhaps i dont really understand what you explain here.

FigDJ wrote:The SHift+HOTCUE (also called the HOTCUE BLINK)
Turns he pads into the beatgrid command.
Turn on beatgrid and the pads become the commands for beatgrid automatically. Press HOTCUE and the pad return to HOTCUE mode while keeping the beatgrid on.

I dont know the existence of the commands beatgrid, so you can imagine that this is not a very useful function for me.
But naturly, its better to find a command that isnt already use for change the time mode.

FigDJ wrote:You may have to do a reset in in your controller following you DDJ-SR manual. Also make sure that you have the latest Pioneer firmware that can be downloaded from their website.

i dont know how to do a reset. And i think that dont download any firmware. I dont know if i well understand (my english is poor AND i just started mixing so i am a total novice with Cross DJ and DDJ SR... sorry for that :p) but i think that if you are on a mac OS, you dont have to download any firmware ? i think that i see that somewhere. And if you remember, in the begining of this topic, we search about firmware for DDJ SR on Pioneer website and dont find anything.
Tell me if i am totaly wrong :p

Can mikefossati confirm that he could play sampler in the configuration that i was talking about ?

About navigation,
i think that you can setup your configuration,
and we will test it.
Today, you certainly have a good idea about what i prefer (because i explain it with more details ;) ) and about what is possible or not, so i trust to you to do the best configuration between this 2 aspects.

FigDJ wrote:Shift+ Sampler also know as Sampler Blink is reserved for visual switching like beatmacher on/off
fx section on/off
locators on/off

for me, i can on/off beatmacher (the line on the top with all the wave deck, isnt it ?) and fx section, but there is no pad that on/off locators
djsamrties

Postby FigDJ on 22 May 2014, 17:44

djsamrties wrote:What do you mean with "SHIFT + a quick tap to the platter" ? Do you mean the main platter that we use to scratch ? i prefer to dont have to touch this except for mixing if possible. I think i will be afraid to perturb the music but perhaps i dont really understand what you explain here.

Understand, it will be gone in the next version, just an experiment.
djsamrties wrote:I dont know the existence of the commands beatgrid, so you can imagine that this is not a very useful function for me.
But naturly, its better to find a command that isnt already use for change the time mode.

My advice to you is to quickly familiarize yourself with beatgrids. Doing so will help you with tracks that contain BPM variations and it will help you syncronize track to other tracks. All about beatgrids is in the Cross manual.

djsamrties wrote:i dont know how to do a reset. And i think that dont download any firmware. I dont know if i well understand (my english is poor AND i just started mixing so i am a total novice with Cross DJ and DDJ SR... sorry for that :p) but i think that if you are on a mac OS, you dont have to download any firmware ? i think that i see that somewhere. And if you remember, in the begining of this topic, we search about firmware for DDJ SR on Pioneer website and dont find anything.
Tell me if i am totaly wrong :p

The instructions to reset your controller are in the user manual for the DDJ-SR.

The updated firmware can be found
http://pioneerdj.com/support/product.php?c=3205&lang=en&p=DDJ-SR&t=272

Make sure you have the latest one installed.

djsamrties wrote:for me, i can on/off beatmacher (the line on the top with all the wave deck, isnt it ?) and fx section, but there is no pad that on/off locators

There are some commands that are not active, but i also see that I have 2 pads free on ech side for that mode. I am going to try to map the sampler bank browsing and loading there.

very important to read and my next post on FX-Assign choices.
FigDJ

Postby FigDJ on 22 May 2014, 18:14

Decided to provide a summary of what has transpired in order for all of us be in the same page and provide insight to any new reader without having to read the entire thread.
Following is the history of the versions and after 14A a list of options for you guys need to consider.

DDJSR_C_31_RV
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version

Feedback
djsamrties
- Unable to control Player 3 and 4
MikeFossati
- CD mode of jog wheel only works on Vinyl mode

Response
-Suggested to set up the controller according to instructions on DDJ-SR manual and 1st section of DDJ-SX pdf from Mixvibes

DDJSR_C_31_RV2
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 2
Added Shift+Jog Wheel to perform smartseek. Noticed that reverse Crossfader LED is not mapped.

Feedback
MikeFossati
- Sync function is perfect
- Smartseek is too sensitive

DDJSR_C_31_RV3
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 3
Started to map using layers to accomodate djsamrties from version 1 and 2.
djsamrties followed Pioneer/Mixvibes setup instructions and 4 Player control is now possible. This version was never released.

DDJSR_C_31_RV4
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 4
-Added many missing commands and provided a list.
-Still working on getting Jog wheel pitch bend to work correctly.

Feedback
djsamrties
- Autoloop trigger doesn't work correctly

DDJSR_C_31_RV5A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 5A
DDJSR_C_31_RV5B
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 5B

-Changes to make Jog wheel pitch bend to work correctly.
-Changes to FX assign section to make LEDs show proper indications.
-Version 5A includes - manual In and out loop
-Version 5B increase or decrease auto loop size. no manual in or out loop.
-added Shift+ PLAY/PAUSE for cue play
-added Shift+CUE -goes back to the begining of a track.

Note: Shift cue is also used by activating an already set cue point and while holding the pad press play

Feedback
MikeFossati
- Pitch bend with Vinyl off works like a charm
- There are still problems with FX Assign section
- FX 2 assign to master does not work
djsamrties
- Autoloop trigger now work correctly

DDJSR_C_31_RV6A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 6A
DDJSR_C_31_RV6B
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 6B

Feedback
djsamrties
- Wants different options for loop section.
- Wants different options for track navigation
- FX Assign does not work properly
MikeFossati
- FX 2 assign to master now works

DDJSR_C_31_RV7A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 7A
DDJSR_C_31_RV7B
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 7B

-Changes on the FX Assign section

Feedback
djsamrties
MikeFossati
- provided test and map for FX Assign using deck 3 and 4

DDJSR_C_31_RV8A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 8A
Incorporated changes provided by test from MikeFossati

DDJSR_C_31_RV9A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 9A
- Changes on the FX Assign section

Feedback
djsamrties
MikeFossati
P_Jean
- Provided some tips on MIDI mapping

DDJSR_C_31_RV10A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 10A
-Incorporated changes provided by test from MikeFossati
-Incorporated tips from P_Jean to Changes on the FX Assign section.

Feedback
djsamrties
MikeFossati
P_Jean
- Provided some tips on MIDI mapping

Found Syntax rerror that corrupted file upon loading to Cross.
This version is completely discarted due to syntax corruption.

DDJSR_C_31_RV11A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 11A
-Corrected syntax error

Feedback
djsamrties
- FX Assign LEDsdoes not work properly
- Please take out change time display mode from Jog wheel
- FX Assing function (not LEDs) now work for all 4 decks
- Sampler switching to deck and back does not work correctly
MikeFossati

DDJSR_C_31_RV12A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 12A

-Changes on the FX Assign section.
-Change time display mode moved from Jog wheel tap to HOTCUE tap.
-Found some command that belonged to the DDJ-SX that may affect the problem with the sampler bank switching

Feedback
djsamrties
- Need other alternatives chnage of time display mode
MikeFossati
P_Jean
- pointed out that metadata for file is incorrect.
- Pointed out incorrect 14 bit MIDI tables for DDJ-SR. No alternative or corrective information was provided.

DDJSR_C_31_RV13A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 13A
- Investigated documentation to find additional information regarding 14 bit MIDI tables.
- Nothing found in current public documentation. Don't have access to additional documentation regarding 14 bit MIDI tables- no change there.

Feedback
djsamrties
MikeFossati
- FX Assign does not light up at all

DDJSR_C_31_RV14A
Custom map for Cross 3.1 Research version 14A
-Correted metadata as pointed out by P_Jean
Feedback
djsamrties
MikeFossati
- FX Assign does not light up at all
- Sampler switching to deck and back works fine
-Suggested to djsamrties to reset his controller and check if by any change it was on pad velocity mode.
-Suggested to make sure the latest firmware was installed

Now for options
I have tried several ways to provide a viable LED indication for the FX assign section.

Two things that make this difficult
1. In the DDJ-SR all LEDs related to assignment 1 and 2 work in normal (not shifted) mode and all LEDs related to 3 and 4 only work in shifted mode.
2. The controller being native to Serato is made to assign effect units to channels, while Cross Assign channels to effect units.

The proper lighting of the FX Assign section is easily adaptable in the the DDJ-SX because said controller provides eight separate LEDs that operate in normal mode. The DDJ-SR only offers 4 total in normal mode.

Options to put this issue to rest.
Beacuse of the limitations just stated we only have three options
for a workable solution and we all must agree on one.

Option 1- In this options all indications when not shifted indicate the state for Channels 1 and 2.
All indications when shifted indicate the state for channel3 and 4

Whenever LED1 or 2 are on that is the indication for channel 1 or 2
Whenever LED1 and 2 are off and the master LED is off, it meansthat the FX unit has either channel 3 or 4 assigned.

Press the shift key and the indication will light up LED1 for Channel 3 or LED2 for channel 4

Whenever LED1 and 2 are off and the master LED is on that is the indication for the MASTER channel.
I will try to illustrate it with a small table.
1 represent on and 0 represent off

Normal Mode (only capable of showing Channel 1 and 2)

LED1 LED2 MASTER
Channel1 1 0 0
Channel2 0 1 0
Channel3 0 0 0
Channel4 0 0 0
MASTER 0 0 1

Shifted mode (only capable of showing Channel 3 and 4)

Channel1 0 0 0
Channel2 0 0 0
Channel3 1 0 0
Channel4 0 1 0
MASTER 0 0 1

Option 2- The indications are the same in normal mode or shifted so I am only show listing one table.

LED1 LED2 MASTER
Channel1 0 0 0
Channel2 0 1 0
Channel3 1 0 0
Channel4 1 1 0
MASTER 0 0 1

Option 3- Is a variation of option2

LED1 LED2 MASTER
Channel1 1 0 0
Channel2 0 1 0
Channel3 1 0 1
Channel4 0 1 1
MASTER 0 0 1
Could posibly make the master LED blink when Master selected.

LED1 or LED2 on with master off= Indication is Channel 1 or Channel 2
LED1 or LED2 on with master on = Indication is Channel 3 or Channel 4
LED1 and LED2 off with master on = Indication is MASTER.

Please examine your options and let me now, I will map one or the but not all 3. recommend option 3 if the master can be made to blink.
FigDJ

Postby FigDJ on 22 May 2014, 18:51

I found the command for changing the number of deck in use. Now I have to figure out where to put it.
FigDJ

Postby MikeFossati on 22 May 2014, 22:54

djsamrties wrote:i just see the last answer of mikefossati and i am very surprised that you can use sampler independent of the selected deck.

but if i choose 3 players + 1 sampler C, i can use samplers when deck 1 and 3 (so A and C) are selected but not when deck 2 and 4 are selected.

Can you explain where you would select deck 2 or 4? I have no problems using the sampler if I have tracks in decks 1, 3 and 4 and either of them is selected to use transport controls or the mixer controls.
MikeFossati

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping Midi