MAPPING FOR DDJ SR

Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: MAPPING FOR DDJ SR

Postby MikeFossati on 17 May 2014, 00:07

FigDJ wrote:You welcome, perhaps if the Karma system comes back you can send me some karma. Thanks for the quick feedback.

Happy to send you some karma if they make it available on the forums.

FigDJ wrote:I am attaching V7, test #1 should pass as before.
On test #2 you may notice a short flicker but nevertheless the indication should pass.

If test #2 passes the please do test #3. Selecting deck 3 and/or 4 and checking that the FX selection lights work properly. If test #3 does not pass then I will have to investigate further.

Test #1 still works for Test #2 these are my results:

When selecting channel 3 or 4, the respective LED is blinking, however the other LED is not turned off. To better explain this, let me give an example:
- 1st choose Channel A: LED1=on, LED2=off
- 2nd choose Channel D: LED1=on, LED2=blinking

There is something else I ran into: when choosing Master, ideally LED1 and LED2 would change to 'off', however they keep their previous status (e.g. when 'on' they remain 'on', when 'blinking' the status depends if the LED was 'on' or 'off' at the moment you press the button to select Master).

Not sure if it is worth spending hours to get this completely right as even in Serato the behavior is not perfect (please note that in Serato the FX sections works differently and you can assign multiple channels at the same time): in Serato, the LEDs are 'on' only for channels A+B, when selecting channels C+D the LEDs remain off (there is no blinking at all).

I would be fine with the current behavior, e.g. a 'blinking' LED has priority' over an 'on' LED (as a DJ I anyway have to adapt to the different philosophies Cross DJ and Serato use).

For Test #3, what works is selecting Master as channel. FX1 Assign and FX2 Assign do not work (e.g. no way to select Channels A through D).

FigDJ wrote:Ithink we are very close now. Are there other concerns that you may have?

Not so far, need to do some real life extended mixing with the unit and Cross DJ, unfortunately didn't find the time yet to do it...
MikeFossati

Postby djsamrties on 17 May 2014, 15:48

Hello FIGDJ,

Thanks again.

Just for information, when i speak about the serato features, its not because i want to do like in serato.
By the way, i prefer Cross DJ and this is precisely the reason of what we are doing now with mapping DDJ SR.
The only question for me is to search the best way to setup all the functions.
If the best way, is the Cross way, fine ! If it is the sera to way, lets go to try this.
And if i think that i found a best way by myself, why not !
This is how i do. And this is just to say that i don't search at all to do everything as in serato,
but just find the best way. At least for me ;)

SHIFT + SYNC : ok. Thanks for your explications :)

FX ASSIGN.

test#1= Do the FX Assign LEDs work when deck 1 and 2 are the controlled decks. According to Mike (the other DJ interested) this test passed in V6

According to me, there is again a little problem.
i think that if you want this :
- FX1 channel 1 is selected and is working properly FX1-1 is ON and FX1-2 is OFF
- FX1 channel 2 is selected and is working properly FX1-1 is OFF and FX1-2 is ON
- FX1 channel 3 is selected and is working properly FX1-1 is blinking and FX1-2 is OFF
- FX1 channel 4 is selected and is working properly FX1-1 is OFF and FX1-2 is blinking
When i test this, it's ok but not in all configuration.
If i select channel 3 after being on channel 1 or 4 it works.
but if i select channel 3 after being on channel 2, FX1-1 is blinking and FX1-2 still ON.
in the same way,
If i select channel 4 after being on channel 2 or 3 it works.
but if i select channel 3 after being on channel 1, FX1-2 is blinking and FX1-1 still ON.

Test#2= Do the FX Assign LEDs work when deck 1 and 2 are the controlled decks and the shift key is pressed?
According to Mike (the other DJ interested) this test failed in V6. V7 is an attempt to resolve that.

i actually use V7 and it works like that for me :)

Test#3= Do the FX Assign LEDs work when deck 3 and 4 are the controlled decks.

No it doesn't work with V7, sorry..

i don't remember if you answer something about FILTER FUNCTION 2.13
i said that for the moment, it's not Low Pass Filter on the left and High Pass Filter on the right, but an other kind of filter.
Can you do something for that ?

An new topic, i don't know if this will interested you..
For the setup of "scratch jog" in player 1 / 2 / 3 / 4, the TICKS / TURN is 2400 by default.
I notice that for scratching or search cue point, the best setup with DDJ SR is 500..

Here is a "to do list" in order to don't forget all the little things that we have to do when everything will be fine.
So we don't have to speak about this for the moment :)

TO DO LIST :

AUTOLOOP
1/2= Auto loop select decrement AND If a loop is not active it will change the autoloop indication and then you have to activate the loop by pressing autoloop.
S+ 1/2= Loop in
2x= Auto loop select increment AND If a loop is not active it will change the autoloop indication and then you have to activate the loop by pressing autoloop.
S+ 2x= Loop out

ROTARY PUSH AND BACK
So, we have DOCK, TREEVIEW and the BROWSER.
For the moment, BACK button :
in the DOCK : allow to jump from DOCK to TREEVIEW
in the TREEVIEW : allow to jump from TREEVIEW to BROWSER
in the BROWSER : allow to jump from BROWSER to DOCK.
And for the moment ROTARY PUSH :
in the DOCK : do nothing
in the TREEVIEW : Allow to open, for exemple, "playlists menu" but you cant go to the BROWSER
when you select a playlist and use ROTARY PUSH.
in the BROWER : on / off prelisten
The best and logical way for me could be to use BACK as a "previous command" and ROTARY PUSH as a "next command" (as in serato). It could be like this :
BACK button :
in the DOCK : do nothing
in the TREEVIEW : allow to jump from TREEVIEW to DOCK
in the BROWSER : allow to jump from BROWSER to TREEVIEW.
ROTARY PUSH :
in the DOCK : allow to jump from the DOCK to the TREEVIEW
in the TREEVIEW : Allow to open, for exemple, "playlists menu" AND then allow to jump from the TREEVIEW to the BROWSER when you select a playlist and use ROTARY PUSH.
in the BROWER : on / off prelisten.

SHIFT + ROTARY PUSH
allow to switch between dual decks mode / 2players & 2 samplers / 3 players & 1 samplers / 3 players & 1 samplers / 4 decks players

that all for me today :)
djsamrties

Postby FigDJ on 17 May 2014, 21:58

MikeFossati wrote:Test #1 still works for Test #2 these are my results:

When selecting channel 3 or 4, the respective LED is blinking, however the other LED is not turned off. To better explain this, let me give an example:
- 1st choose Channel A: LED1=on, LED2=off
- 2nd choose Channel D: LED1=on, LED2=blinking

We have a bit of mis-communication here.
For test #2. Whatever the indication is 1=on or blinking or 2=on or blinking, I just want to make sure that when you press the shift key the lights don't go all off. That indication will clue me into the next step to solve what you just described.

MikeFossati wrote:There is something else I ran into: when choosing Master, ideally LED1 and LED2 would change to 'off', however they keep their previous status (e.g. when 'on' they remain 'on', when 'blinking' the status depends if the LED was 'on' or 'off' at the moment you press the button to select Master).

That is a good thing that you notice. It means that I must change the line order for the commands to turn off all the LEDs and then put the Master to blink. (this could also be the solution test#3) if that does not work then I must change the indication of the master to a simple on/off.

MikeFossati wrote:Not sure if it is worth spending hours to get this completely right as even in Serato the behavior is not perfect (please note that in Serato the FX sections works differently and you can assign multiple channels at the same time): in Serato, the LEDs are 'on' only for channels A+B, when selecting channels C+D the LEDs remain off (there is no blinking at all).

It is worth for me because it becomes a personal channel to my abilities. I must at least get the basics working correctly.

MikeFossati wrote:For Test #3, what works is selecting Master as channel. FX1 Assign and FX2 Assign do not work (e.g. no way to select Channels A through D).

That is a little puzzling because in the documentation that I got from Pioneer about the DDJ-SR it only list MIDI channel 7 for the assign section. There must be a channel change when decks 3 and 4 are selected.

Now this is something detectable only by having the controller. if you could.
1. open the MIDI mapping section of Cross
2. make a copy of the map.
3. make sure you are controlling decks 3 and 4
4. pick 4 commands to map any commands.
5. map the commands by using MIDI learn to button 1 and 2 of both effect assign sections. (when you are pressing the button see if there is and indication of a green flash on the controller tab)
6. save the file and send it to me as an attachment.

This will tell me what channel if any the DDJ-SR is using is those specific button when players 3 and 4 are selected.

FigDJ wrote:Ithink we are very close now. Are there other concerns that you may have?

MikeFossati wrote:Not so far, need to do some real life extended mixing with the unit and Cross DJ, unfortunately didn't find the time yet to do it...

I agree. But what I meant is that we are getting very close to getting the basic map completed. Once that is done then refinements can be made.
FigDJ

Postby FigDJ on 17 May 2014, 22:19

Djsamrties

Thanks for all the input the feedback that you and Mike are providing is very helpful in getting the mapping done correctly.

I noted your results about the FX assign section and it is great to have the detailed feedback to guide me in the mapping.

djsamrties wrote:i don't remember if you answer something about FILTER FUNCTION 2.13
i said that for the moment, it's not Low Pass Filter on the left and High Pass Filter on the right, but an other kind of filter.
Can you do something for that ?

the filters should work as bi-polar filter for the respective channel.
The one on the left for players 1 and 3 and the on on the right for players 2 and 4.

In bi-polar
With the knob turned all the way to the left only low frequencies pass.
In the middle All frequencies pass.
With the knob turned all the way to the right only hi frequencies pass.

There is also a setting in the setting section to select the filter type which changes the frequesncy response characteristics. check that out.

djsamrties wrote:An new topic, i don't know if this will interested you..
For the setup of "scratch jog" in player 1 / 2 / 3 / 4, the TICKS / TURN is 2400 by default.
I notice that for scratching or search cue point, the best setup with DDJ SR is 500..

I have to look into that.

And we'll keep the list and do all other commands later.
FigDJ

Postby MikeFossati on 18 May 2014, 02:57

Hi FigDJ

attached the mapping where I've mapped the FX assing for decks 3 and 4 to the "FX1 - Input Channel" and "FX2 - Input Channel" buttons. All on Channel 7 but with different note.

Mike

DDJ-SR(Pioneer) FX for Deck 3 and 4.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeFossati

Postby FigDJ on 18 May 2014, 14:58

DDJSR_C_31_RV8A.zip
MikeFossati wrote:attached the mapping where I've mapped the FX assing for decks 3 and 4 to the "FX1 - Input Channel" and "FX2 - Input Channel" buttons. All on Channel 7 but with different note.

Thanks Mike

Man that was a big help. Nowhere in the MIDI tables that Pioneer provided are those MIDI notes documented. They only documented the FX1 and 2 assign sections when using players 1 and 2.

I incorporated the changes to the file and made some additional changes to the LED section. I am looking to see if the problem with LEDs staying persist. If it does, there a couple more things I can try.

Just to keep it simple, I will just continue with version A and once the FX section is finish I will make the changes and publish version B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FigDJ

Postby djsamrties on 19 May 2014, 00:57

Hello FIGDJ,
about :
"There is also a setting in the setting section to select the filter type which changes the frequesncy response characteristics. check that out."
i see "center values" with "range begin : 0x40" and "range end " 0x40" but i cant change this values. do you know how can we do that ?
For the moment, i dont hear the exactly same effect when i use FILTER and when i use LOW PASS and HIGH PASS. its strange but perhaps this is just the values setup ?

im very happy to see that we are near the DDJ SR MAPPING !!! :)
djsamrties

Postby FigDJ on 19 May 2014, 01:15

djsamrties wrote:Hello FIGDJ,
about :
"There is also a setting in the setting section to select the filter type which changes the frequesncy response characteristics. check that out."
i see "center values" with "range begin : 0x40" and "range end " 0x40" but i cant change this values. do you know how can we do that ?
For the moment, i dont hear the exactly same effect when i use FILTER and when i use LOW PASS and HIGH PASS. its strange but perhaps this is just the values setup ?

if you are referring to the range values within the MIDI map please don't change those as they are correct. The filter effect from the effects section is different than the one for the channel.

In the cuurent version 8
when the filter knob is at the center all frequencies pass.
when the knob is turned all the way to the left side only low frequencies pass
when the knob is turned all the way to the right side only hi frquencies pass.
is it not working that way for you?

Please tell me about the current behavior of the LEDs in the FX-assign section.

Also you had mention that you don't use video. Is it OK to remove the video commands if not all at least the ones in the browsing section so I can try some of your request.

Mike are you also having trouble with the filters or have other issues not related to the FX-assign section?
FigDJ

Postby djsamrties on 19 May 2014, 13:46

Hello,
there is no real trouble with the filter.
It xorks,
but i have the feeling that it doesnt sound exactly like the "high pass" or "low pass" fx.
Its all for that point.
For the fx assign, i already donne the tests with V7.
If you want special information tell me.
I dont see V8. Do you send it or not already ?
djsamrties

Postby FigDJ on 19 May 2014, 15:40

djsamrties wrote:Hello,
there is no real trouble with the filter.
It xorks,
but i have the feeling that it doesnt sound exactly like the "high pass" or "low pass" fx.
Its all for that point.
For the fx assign, i already donne the tests with V7.
If you want special information tell me.
I dont see V8. Do you send it or not already ?

The filter fx and the channel filter jave never sounded the same. I think the MIxvibes team has re-vamping the fx section in their to do list but I have no clue to what that means or when are the changes coming.

V8 was posted a couple of post ago. I only published 8A for the purpose of testing the FX section. Version 8B I plan to strip the video commands and work some of your request for the browsing and loop section. then I will post a final map in which whatever version #A will become DDJ-SR Vicdeo and the #B will become DDJ-SR Audio. For now please test on V8A. i am looking for
1. FX-Assign LED behavior
2. Ability to use FX-Assign while controlling players 3 and 4.

Edit

Please discard version 8A if you already downloaded and use version 9A on the next post.
FigDJ

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping Midi