Sync Button Auto-play Is Dangerous

Mixvibes iOS / Android apps for smartphones and tablets: CrossDJ / CrossDJ Remote
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Sync Button Auto-play Is Dangerous

Postby mmediaman on 14 Dec 2015, 02:15

Can the dev team consider making it an option for the SYNC button to autoplay when it is pressed?

If the crossfader is left open to both decks and you press the SYNC button, you can unintentionally expose the incoming track to output. To me this could come off as unprofessional as you could be causing the incoming track to start at an inopportune moment.
mmediaman

Re: Sync Button Auto-play Is Dangerous

Postby RoJeC on 14 Dec 2015, 11:45

I don't get your explanation.

If you have sync also autoplay then you would be of worse as the track will be playing...

To me it seems a basic skill of a DJ to have the 'next track' only send to Cue; that's what the Cross fader is a basic control for...

Most software and hardware work like this..

So if you mean something else, please add some to the post.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mmediaman on 14 Dec 2015, 21:00

@RoJeC, sorry my explanation is not clear.

It seems to me that the basic function of the SYNC button is to match the BPM of the opposite deck. The fact that the button also causes the deck to start playing is what I am questioning. If the deck is exposed to output via the fader, the audience may begin to hear your mix before you intended when all you were trying to do is quickly match BPMs to set up for performing your mix.

If the intention of the button is to match BPM and play the track at the same time, then to your point about "basic skill", yes, the DJ could be mindful. But there are already 2 other buttons to start play (Cue & Play).... 3 if you include the sample button(s). So why should the Sync button also autostart? Its not a big deal I suppose since you could categorize it as work-flow.

Its just a suggestion.
mmediaman

Postby RoJeC on 15 Dec 2015, 00:09

There is one more thing that happens when you press Sync.... It doesn't just start, but starts in sync with the beatgrid. In advanced settings you can set this to be 4/16 beat.

The play is to start/stop instantly

The Cue is to preview and reset instantly to cue point

So 3 different functions which are pretty standard in DJing.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby DJ Vintage on 15 Dec 2015, 09:31

In 2.x if you pressed sync it would start to play, it was very confusing. Glad they took it out.
DJ Vintage

Postby ddjj on 15 Dec 2015, 10:23

Hello:

I just use the match function while mixing....to get the beats the same...then use cue...cue play to preview...etc...to get the track started...getting your grids and locations worked out ahead of time makes mixing easier for me...my to cents...
I never use the sync button...
Ddjj
Dell Inspiron with I7 processor
Windows 8.1
8 GB Ram, 1 TB Hard Drive
Audio 2 DJ Soundcard
Allen and Heath 62 Mixer 1
Quneo Controller
Internal Intel graphics card
GT 630m Nvidia Graphics Card
ddjj

Postby mmediaman on 15 Dec 2015, 17:58

DJ Vintage wrote:In 2.x if you pressed sync it would start to play, it was very confusing. Glad they took it out.

What are you talking about @DJVintage? Pressing sync still starts play and is the point of the OP. (ver 2.3.5)
mmediaman

Postby DJ Vintage on 16 Dec 2015, 09:46

Sorry ... my bad, forgot to look at the board. Was talking about PC version. It had that behavior in 2.x.

Never mind. Disregard previous transmission :eek:
DJ Vintage

Postby mmediaman on 16 Dec 2015, 23:50

DJ Vintage wrote:Sorry ... my bad, forgot to look at the board. Was talking about PC version. It had that behavior in 2.x.

Never mind. Disregard previous transmission :eek:

@Vintage if what you say is true, then at least someone in dev on the desktop side sees my point.
mmediaman

Postby mmediaman on 19 Dec 2016, 16:42

Did I ever have a point here?
I only have the Android version of Cross DJ. Can anyone with the PC version confirm that this auto-play when Sync is pressed functionality was removed in the PC version of the software?

It is still very annoying to have to always make sure your fader is not open to the incoming track when you press sync. Even if the function uses the beat grid to keep time, there is s good chance the phrasing will be wrong and sound unprofessional. In a sense, I think an argument could be made that the way the function is now over-automates DJing.
mmediaman

Next

Return to Android/iOS Suggestions