iPad CrossDJ v 1.0.1 - Feedback and suggestions

Mixvibes iOS / Android apps for smartphones and tablets: CrossDJ / CrossDJ Remote
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

iPad CrossDJ v 1.0.1 - Feedback and suggestions

Postby djamarelo on 14 Aug 2012, 16:30

Greetings from Brazil.

Here I am for a review about iPad CrossDJ 1.0.1.

First of all, my configuration:
iPad 4G/64gb
iOS 5.1.1
Few apps running in background (Mail, Flipboard, Chrome, Notes, Groove, Safari)
iTunes library contains 8,000+ songs, all divided in about 20 smart playlists
iTunes Match – No
0,5G free space

I had the opportunitty to test it on beta (all versions). I have to say that I got very frustrated since all beta versions repeated the same errors – I'm talking about the crashes here. But on this version 1.0.1 I think Mixvibes is getting very close to build the perfect iOS DJ solution. It's running almost flawless on the last 16 hours and counting.

(When I say “almost flawless”, I mean I had a couple of glitches when loading tracks to a deck. And, yes, when I say 16 hours I didn't play a set that long – instead, I did some testing, opened some apps in background, and on the last 10 hours or so, I put CrossDJ to analyse my files). No crashes, by the way!)

Particularly, I really like tha all-on-one screen functions (waveforms, cue/play, effects table), preserving the traditional jogwheel solution.

Also, the way it manages playlists is close to traditional DJ softwares (Traktor, Virtual DJ, Cross and the likes). By the way, I have tested most of the iOS DJ apps out and I have to say that CrossDJ has the fastest searching so far.

But there is still one issue, a critical one in my opinion, that prevents me of using it live. And that is concerned about the way CrossDJ splits the audio. I know it is an iOS limitation, but CrossDJ is doing a poor job on it's splitting solution compared to other benchmarking softwares (Red Bull BPM and Algoriddim Djay). Let me try to explain:

When loading a track like “The Beatles – Drive My Car”, which has a clear stereo division (mainly vocals on the right channel and instruments on the left), I get very different results on CrossDJ and Djay, using the split function and the same gear (Griffin Splitter or AIODJ, I tested them both).

When using Djay, this particular track sounds amazing to the audience. But when playing it over CrossDJ, the piano and part of the voices gets faded. It's like the stereo result got 100% of the left channel but just 50% of the right channel.

I think there is an easy way to correct that. But I don't even think it will be necessary, since iOS 6 will bring multi-routing audio to the iPad and maybe splitting cables will be soon part of the past.

Wishlist:
- Autogain (critical!)
- key lock function (critical, as well!)

- option to adjust the jogwheel to vynil or cdj style
- Automix function
- Recording function
- More sorting options, like comments or grouping

Last, but not least, some questions about library analysis:

I started to analyse my 8000+ files divided in about 20 smart playlists. Well, when I sync the iPad with my iTunes library, will CrossDJ preserve the data about the tracks already analysed? Or it will start analysing all the collection over again? Also, I wonder if after analysing all my tracks, will it prevent the sound glitches when loading a track to the decks.

Best regards. Hope it may help in some way.
djamarelo

Re: iPad CrossDJ v 1.0.1 - Feedback and suggestions

Postby UncleVibes on 14 Aug 2012, 16:46

Let say that 85% of the stability problems belong to the pass. It has been a very hard job to stabilize the memory and to keep all necessary functions working without iOS killing processses (too much!)

We have many many ideas for the future of this app.
UncleVibes

Postby Tuur on 21 Aug 2012, 10:35

djamarelo wrote:Wishlist:
- key lock function (critical, as well!)

- More sorting options, like comments or grouping

IMO these two are critical. Search and sort on more tags (or is it an iOS problem?).
Tuur

Postby Tuur on 06 Sep 2012, 18:44

Also would you be able to implement a setting to auto-quantize new cue points to the grid and auto-sync triggering of them?
Tuur

Postby Kappa on 07 Sep 2012, 13:34

Hello,

the snap feature is on our to do list and should be included in one of the updates we'll release in the next few months.

Regards,
Cristian Kreindler
Kappa

Postby JuniorPops on 27 Sep 2012, 09:37

+1 for AutoMix and Record
JuniorPops

Postby discopex on 27 Sep 2012, 20:50

+1 for keylock

- a feature for play/pause button to behave like a vinyl record player stop and/or start
- extensive MIDI mapping for controllers
- a technique for syncing up two iPads via bluetooth or wifi for some tight 4 deck action!
- sample triggering option
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby discopex on 28 Sep 2012, 14:27

- full eq kill
- not too keen on numbering the tracks on playlist , it does not serve any purpose for me and I find it distracting
- perhaps some automatic visual cues for each minute mark, this would help to stay on focus with time and track switches
- is it necessary for the time display to show 1/100th of a second as well? again, I find this is cluttering the display and distracting

Cheers! :)
discopex

Postby discopex on 03 Oct 2012, 09:13

How about WIST support for syncing up other iOS devices/apps (perhaps an iPhone or iPad running Kaossilator, or even syncing another device running CrossDJ).
discopex

Postby discopex on 18 Oct 2012, 08:53

- A way to create on-the-fly crate playlists/queues would come very handy
discopex

Next