My feedback and suggestions on CrossDJ for iPad

Mixvibes iOS / Android apps for smartphones and tablets: CrossDJ / CrossDJ Remote
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

My feedback and suggestions on CrossDJ for iPad

Postby Paco Loco on 22 May 2012, 11:11

Hi,

Firstly, let me say that the app is really great and I already love it. I have all the DJ apps for the iPad and this is now already my favourite.
I have been using it extensively since it was released and I have some feedback and suggestions which I hope is useful. Some of these are very small points, and others are larger feature requests.

Thanks,
P

- In library tracks should only go grey once they have been played for more than 20 seconds (or some similar time period). Currently just loading into a deck makes the track go grey, which is misleading.

- You should be able to set a default sort order for the library view. I like to always sort by BPM, and that means every time I open the app I currently have to set this order in both decks, which is annoying.

- There should be some way to import data (especially cue point data) form other DJ software. Most of your users are going to have hundreds of tracks already marked up in other software and it's not an option to go through your whole collection and do that again.

- There should be an option to snap loops and cue points to the beat grid. Currently the looping is quite hard to use well as you have to be very accurate when activating it or you can easily get your tracks out of sync.

- It would be good to have a more close up view of the waveforms when setting cue points, since at the moment it is hard to set them accurately. Perhaps this could be done my zooming in on the waveform when the jog wheel is in use.

- Currently the Break effect does not allow you to do a fast enough stop. It should be possible to create the same break effect as pressing stop on a traditional vinyl turntable.

- It would be very good to have kill buttons for the EQs, especially the bass. Currently you can not cut it in and out quickly enough.

- Auto-gain would be a very good new feature.

- Cross-fader curve adjustment would also be a very good new feature.
Paco Loco

Re: My feedback and suggestions on CrossDJ for iPad

Postby Kappa on 22 May 2012, 12:07

Hello,

thanx for your interest in our App.

- In library tracks should only go grey once they have been played for more than 20 seconds (or some similar time period). Currently just loading into a deck makes the track go grey, which is misleading.

very good idea!!

- You should be able to set a default sort order for the library view. I like to always sort by BPM, and that means every time I open the app I currently have to set this order in both decks, which is annoying.

it is already possible, in the lower collection bar, on the left, you can see a button: "Default". If you press it you can choose between a couple of sorting "presets" like "BPM", "Artist", BPM > Artist > Album" etc...
and normally this option is saved when you quit the app

- There should be some way to import data (especially cue point data) form other DJ software. Most of your users are going to have hundreds of tracks already marked up in other software and it's not an option to go through your whole collection and do that again.

we've already had this request and it's on our to do list.

- There should be an option to snap loops and cue points to the beat grid. Currently the looping is quite hard to use well as you have to be very accurate when activating it or you can easily get your tracks out of sync.

it's coming in the next version

- It would be good to have a more close up view of the waveforms when setting cue points, since at the moment it is hard to set them accurately. Perhaps this could be done my zooming in on the waveform when the jog wheel is in use.

we are looking for a way to do this

- Currently the Break effect does not allow you to do a fast enough stop. It should be possible to create the same break effect as pressing stop on a traditional vinyl turntable.

noted, note that you can also simulate this effect by setting the pitch slider's range at 100% and moving the slider all the way up

- It would be very good to have kill buttons for the EQs, especially the bass. Currently you can not cut it in and out quickly enough.

we took out the kill buttons because they were hard to press and the interface became too crowded, but in the future updates, maybe we'll find a way to put them back

- Auto-gain would be a very good new feature.
- Cross-fader curve adjustment would also be a very good new feature.

these features also in the to do list for future updates

thank you for taking your time to write these suggestions which are very useful for us.
I'm also glad you like our app... and just wait a little 'cause it's going to get even better!!

Cristian
Kappa

Postby Paco Loco on 22 May 2012, 12:22

Thanks very much for your reply Cristian. It's great to know that you guys are supporting and developing this app so seriously.
Looking forward to version 1.1 already!
Cheers,
P
Paco Loco

Postby Paco Loco on 23 May 2012, 11:22

Kappa wrote:it is already possible, in the lower collection bar, on the left, you can see a button: "Default". If you press it you can choose between a couple of sorting "presets" like "BPM", "Artist", BPM > Artist > Album" etc...
and normally this option is saved when you quit the app

Just a follow up on this point. I tried this and it only seems to work when you are looking at the entire library. As soon as I go into a playlist the ordering is reset and I have to choose BPM again every time.
Cheers,
P
Paco Loco

Postby cmleon on 24 May 2012, 19:18

So far, after a few days of use, I think this is the best DJ app for iPad I have seen. What would REALLY make it more useful would be a RECORD button. Are there plans to add this in the next release?
cmleon

Postby UncleVibes on 24 May 2012, 20:49

Yes
Why don't you post some sweet comments on the appstore?
Thanks a lot!
UncleVibes

Postby Slak Jaw on 15 Jun 2012, 19:53

I agree with all of those suggestions as well. Especially important is the ability to read meta data from existing DJ software like Traktor for Cue Points, Beat Grids and BPM. Along with this we really need 8 Cue Points instead of 6 to match Traktor. This is a must to make this app appeal to existing DJ's who want a portable or backup solution and don't want to go through hundreds or thousands of songs resetting cue points. Keep up the great work guys! This App is getting really close.
Slak Jaw

Return to Android/iOS Suggestions