Clicks and Pops

Mixvibes Android applications for Smartphone and Pad: CrossDJ
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Clicks and Pops

Postby mmediaman on 10 Jul 2015, 21:58

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S5 which is a supposed to be a flagship phone. I find that there is significant delay in responsiveness when stuttering with the CUE button, delay in setting loop start times and triggering them during a mix (if it wasn't for quantize it may even be worse) and pops and clicks at random times when manipulating the sound. (Turning off keylock helps with the pops and clicks, but whats the use of keylock if you have to turn it off?).

I would like to know if anyone is using Cross Pro on a Galaxy S5 and experiencing good performance./

:I'm using Pro version 2.3.2
mmediaman

Re: Clicks and Pops

Postby mmediaman on 10 Jul 2015, 22:40

okay >> tested free version on iPhone 6 and just to compare apples to apples, downgraded to Cross free version on Android.

The application performs better on the iPhone 6. Its more responsive although triggering hotcues still isn't like on real decks/controllers/PC. But no pops and clicks and its more accurate in responding to touch. For example when triggering a hotcue on the Android, the cuepoint randomly drifts. I can just sit there and tap the hotcue and every so often, it will start at a different spot.... be it a fraction of millisecond, its enough to make you sound horrible.

My conclusion is that unless there is something wrong with my hi-end Galaxy S6, the Cross Android version leaves a lot to be desired.

Can somebody tell me that I am wrong please?
mmediaman

Postby RoJeC on 11 Jul 2015, 07:44

You shouldn't have trouble with the Android version. However new devices may have new features that interfere with Cross.

Did you test the various options in settings for audio playback.

You mention s5 and s6 in your posts. Might be right but pretty important to know what's happening on which device.

Keylock function uses cpu capacity continuously. It can't take away drops and clicks. They are just less noticeable.

Delay in response could be by the setting for quantize. Disable to see if there's a difference.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mmediaman on 11 Jul 2015, 17:26

RoJeC wrote:You shouldn't have trouble with the Android version. However new devices may have new features that interfere with Cross.
Galaxy S5 is a 1 generation old Samsung flagship phone... so its not that new.

Did you test the various options in settings for audio playback.
Yes, I played around with settings including the recommended Async for OpenSL mode on Samsung devices.

You mention s5 and s6 in your posts. Might be right but pretty important to know what's happening on which device.
My bad on that reference (typo). The Android phone is Galaxy S5. The iPhone I tested with is iPhone 6.

Keylock function uses cpu capacity continuously. It can't take away drops and clicks. They are just less noticeable.
Okay, but why are they even less noticeable on the iPhone? Does this mean that iPhone wins again for all things multimedia and that if you want good keylock functionality you have to use an Apple device?

Delay in response could be by the setting for quantize. Disable to see if there's a difference.

So here's more info:

Remember that I uninstalled pro and reinstalled free to compare with the free version on iPhone.

So now I re-installed pro and noticed that the sampler now shows the various FX which wasn't there before. I didn't think much of the sample banks being blank before and thought maybe I just didn't understand yet how to use them. So I notice also that reinstalling Pro delivered a new version 2.3.3 vs. the 2.3.2 version I had before. Did stuff get fixed?

I'm not noticing the pops and clicks so far. So I don't know if some things got fixed in 2.3.3... but we'll see how it holds up to my rigorous testing.

New observation on Android and iOS:
1.)
When you set a hotcue, if the deck is not playing, you can stutter the hotcue and it is accurate on beat. When the deck is playing, it is not so accurate or you can detect a delay. This performance is a little better on iPhone, but on both platforms, stutter while deck is playing is unusable with Quantize ON. I suppose this is expected because of what Quantize does, but sure would be nice if things could stay accurate all the time.

2.)
If a track is playing, the 1st time to touch CUE, it does only that... (cue). This may be ok, but if I touch and hold the CUE button it should continue playing regardless of whether its the 1st touch. :D [/list]
mmediaman

Postby mmediaman on 12 Aug 2015, 19:34

I guess this topic closes by default or maybe no one cares.... :rolleyes: :redface:
mmediaman

Postby mmediaman on 14 Dec 2015, 01:54

Conclusion here is that the issue is caused by Android inherent latency.

See discussions here:
http://superpowered.com/about-superpowered
http://www.androidauthority.com/horrend ... cy-624171/
mmediaman

Return to Android Discussion