Problems with Nexus 7

Mixvibes Android applications for Smartphone and Pad: CrossDJ
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Problems with Nexus 7

Postby redbulldog on 15 Mar 2014, 20:35

I really want to use this app as it seems the best option for us Android users...however there are some issues that are preventing me from doing so. Maybe someone can enlighten me....fyi, I have about 650 songs on my tablet.

The biggest thing I'm not happy with is when I have a song playing and I load another song on the other turntable I experience audio dropouts, stuttering and sometimes the song that's playing completely stops for a second or two. I have plenty of memory on my tablet so I'm wondering if it's the Android latency issues that we've all heard about that might be affecting it. However I thought that the latency was at an acceptable level where this wouldn't be an issue.

Another thing that drives me crazy is the automix feature. As a wedding/bar DJ there are times where I want to turn it on while I'm playing a song NOT in automix and it will suddenly fade to the other side and start playing songs. Inserting a song manually during automix is nearly impossible. The only way I can see that automix can be somewhat controlled playing the music I want is to make a playlist beforehand and this is not always possible.

Searching by Artist - give me the option to turn off the album art! I don't need it...and it just takes up space. Allow me to view as a list.

And what is it that not one piece of tablet DJ software (not even Djay for iPad I think) won't let us search by bmp?

I really love the layout and gui but if I have audio dropouts and songs that stop while a new one is loading (and yes, I've analyzed all of my songs) then it's crap to me.

This is what I've found so far in the different Android DJ programs that seem somewhat acceptable to use at a show:

Cross DJ - see above

DJ Studio 5 - the biggest rival to Cross DJ but scrolling through songs on the song search page is horrible. Extremely slow. Hard to imagine that 600 songs would cause the slow scrolling. I wish that it also had an option to turn off the thumbnail album art as I don't think this is helping the scrolling problem.

DJPad - simple enough for my use but few options to search for songs other then artist-song. And when you "click" on a song it doesn't highlight it so you're not sure if it's the right one to load. There are also volume issues when using the slider.

eDJing - a surprisingly good piece of software that seems to run very smooth but setting cue points is a bit of a PITA....but it's free!

My biggest hope though is to get the Cross DJ - which I paid $10 - to work smoothly on my tablet because it has all the features that I can use (with exceptions to what I already mentioned which I can work around for now)...any help would be great.
redbulldog

Re: Problems with Nexus 7

Postby rubber on 16 Mar 2014, 12:27

I use also a nexus and Cross DJ works very well

some suggestions

1) analyse all your tracks
2) have you tried to unload others background app ?
3) stop wifi or 3g ?
rubber

Postby RoJeC on 16 Mar 2014, 12:41

# tracks is not an issue. are your tracks on internal sd or external. if latter what is the speed (class).
try disable AV.
if persists please provide more details on your device specs.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby jayzakk on 17 Mar 2014, 02:43

I have the same stutter/dropout problems on my nexus 7 (first generation). As all nexus don't have SD slot, everything is on internal memory / emmc, which should be the fastest access possible.
I recently bought a new lenovo yoga 10 inch which basically has even lower specs, and using songs on 64gb SD. usually no dropouts.
On both devices, no gsm/3g module and pre analyzed the songs. Sure no other apps and services running in background except the default android services.

Lenovo: mtk quad core arm a7 with 1,2ghz
Nexus: nvidia quad core arm a9 with 1,3ghz (1,2ghz if multicore usage)

Maybe some problem with the nvidia chipset. Its just not good :-)
jayzakk

Postby StefC on 26 Mar 2014, 14:43

I have the same issue with my Nexus 7 (first Gen) where it cuts out randomly when playing tracks.

I noticed the stutter/cut out occurs more often when I am recording so it leads me to believe that maybe its a processing issue related to the device?

All the tracks are analysed and there are no background apps running on the device. Any suggestions to resolve this?
StefC

Postby tamas on 01 May 2014, 21:13

Same problem here: First gen. Nexus 7,
audio cuts/stutters when firing up the song selection dialog and also when selecting songs for the deck. It happens always when the "Master Limiter/High quality limiter" is on. If not, it happens occasionally only.

It must be possible to fix this because otherwise the audio engine is quite robust running in the background even when I do browsing and other stuff. BTW I also disabled all background processes possible.

And about the automix: The same issue here, I'd like to add songs to the playlist while the deck running.
tamas

Postby StefC on 04 Jun 2014, 15:05

Any word on getting the app fixed on the Nexus 7? I have tried everything, I have loaded the latest version of the app, disabled all background processes, disabled wifi, the tracks are all analysed and still the app stutters and cuts the audio when changing tracks.

I tried this with my fathers first gen Nexus 7 and the Nexus 5 and the issue is only on the Nexus 7.

A fix for the issue would be appreciated!
StefC

Postby RoJeC on 04 Jun 2014, 15:20

There seems to be a bug in Android. MV does not control the release of the android fix, nor of the versions per device.
The next Cross version might have some kind of workaround, but this cannot be tested for all device/telco combinations.

As you could confirm... the app works fine with quite some devices...
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby UncleVibes on 04 Jun 2014, 17:23

All comments are appreciated and yes the team is on the subject.
We have a Nexus 7 2nd generation and it works as it should. We have some problems with Samsung S5 and yes this is a bug on their Android version installed. There is a patch for this but I can't confirm if a patch from Samsung is available.
Do you know that we are compatible with more than 2000 different hardware.
But this is only a theory as many builders / makers / brand do their own cooking within the Android kernel. Sometimes with success sometimes not. We try clearly to adjust Cross DJ to the most popular devices when we have them for test.
You can notice that there are weak cpu on the Android market. It means weak Android performances.

This is not an answer specific to Nexus 7 1st generation.
UncleVibes

Postby Nordhal on 04 Jun 2014, 17:43

Hi,

I'm not sure it's a bug from Android.
It seems to be a hardware issue, but it may not be related to the cpu, but to the disk access time.

Basically, there is some access to disk while running audio in current version (Cross DJ 1.3) , for cache purpose.

Cross DJ 1.4, coming soon, has an improved audio engine, which should prevent this issue, but again, it's better if after the update, you can tell us if your issue is fixed or not.

Nevertheless, you can also try to play tracks > 10 min , to test if you have the same audio dropouts : For tracks > 10 min , Cross DJ is doing streaming audio, not cache on SSD.

Concerning playlists & automix : This release won't have the possibility to add on the fly tracks in playlist, but this will be resolved on future update.
Nordhal

Return to Android Discussion