Cross DJ iPad and external audio card ?

Mixvibes iOS / Android applications for iPhone and iPad: CrossDJ / CrossDJ Remote
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Cross DJ iPad and external audio card ?

Postby esebban on 16 Jan 2016, 22:22

Hello
Is there someone who can confirm if Cross DJ for iPad can be used with an external USB audio card like Roland Duo Capture Ex or a Persons AudioBox iTwo for instance ?
Thanks in advance for your answers, I am a bit surprised because I can't see any clear status on this nowhere ...

Eric
esebban

Re: Cross DJ iPad and external audio card ?

Postby Stormcaller on 18 Jan 2016, 17:26

It appears in the settings, so it should work as long as whatever you are plugging into is class compliant or specifically designed for iOS.
Stormcaller

Postby esebban on 19 Jan 2016, 00:19

Thanks , just ordered a Roland Duo Capture Ex , I will be back with my feedback
esebban

Postby Stormcaller on 20 Jan 2016, 16:57

OK just be warned, you need to get an Apple camera adapter to use that, and you cannot power your iPad while using it either. This is the downside of 99% of audio interfaces for iOS, and the other 1% are enormous iPad docks where you might as well be using a full size laptop instead.
Stormcaller

Postby DJ Vintage on 20 Jan 2016, 18:40

To be exact it is called the Camera Connection Kit (CCK).

Depending on the audio interface, you might need one with external power as I understand the iPad can't power some USB-powered devices and/or drains the battery of your iPad pretty quickly if it can.
DJ Vintage

Postby Stormcaller on 21 Jan 2016, 15:21

DJ Vintage wrote:To be exact it is called the Camera Connection Kit (CCK).

Depending on the audio interface, you might need one with external power as I understand the iPad can't power some USB-powered devices and/or drains the battery of your iPad pretty quickly if it can.

Yep, the one OP is getting actually takes AA batteries to solve that problem.
Stormcaller

Postby Farmatique on 11 Nov 2016, 13:33

Hello, everyone! Sad to say, but my external usb-audiocard ESI U46XL doesnt work well with CrossDJ (iPad3, iOS 9.3.5). Sound is very "cracky", just like when you set very small buffer or something similar.
This soundcard works just fine with a bunch of other music apps from appstore, though.

I have no idea, why this happens. Any suggestion/thoughts appreciated.
P.S. I reinstalled CrossDJ and reboot my device for a few times - still no luck.

Thanks in advance, Eugene.
Farmatique

Postby RoJeC on 12 Nov 2016, 23:47

HAve you tried the options in the settings of Cross.

It's not to relevant how other apps use the sound card. Being a real DJ app Cross uses a low latency, whereas most audio apps use a large audio buffer to avoid this kind of trouble.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Farmatique on 13 Nov 2016, 16:13

Yes, I tried to change some of the available options in the preferences, but still no luck. Sadly theres no latency (or buffer size) settings available in preferences. I'd rather work with higher latency, than with broken sound, at all..
Farmatique

Postby RoJeC on 13 Nov 2016, 21:35

latency is a trade off with responsiveness. For Djing you want this to be in the milliseconds range. The non DJ apps can take upto 1 or 2 seconds buffer.

The options are all there to try to get around the issues. So you will have to try them all. Please also make sure that you don't have to many other apps active. So for testing you best start with a rebooted device.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Return to iOS Discussion