Page 2 of 2

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2011, 00:22
by yanndj
Just to add my two cents to this thread :
I see another good thing about usb 3.0 : it's fully bi-directionnal.
Some people have experienced little glitches in sound when heavily using a controller with integrated soundcard, especially the wheels, on some PC's (that's why i began using a pcmcia soundcard rather than the one included in my Hercules DJ Console).
USB 3.0 will definitively make this disappear....

Whoever is the manufacturer, an USB 3.0 combo controller+soundcard with mixvibes would be great.

Edit : Reading other threads on the forum gave me an idea, much cheaper to implement on hardware, and not needing the last computer : have 2 usb connections, one for sound one for controller...

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 07:09
by dj_cross_fade
j-kut wrote:@unclevibes:
appreciate you taking a look in here, and minding our posts/wishes etc.
Big up!

Regarding new projects i want to say, that sometimes it´s best to stick with available and tested technologies/designs and just make the best out of them (in this case: usb2.0, burr-brown codecs and enough I/Os to be prepared for the future ;) )

Have a nice sunday :)

why im saying usb 3.0 is there is no load on your cpu it does not hae to deal with it :D i know usb 2.0 was tryed and tested but why hold on to something that does put load on ur cpu. im saying 3.0 because it also works with 2.0
:) its backwards compatible
then when u have a usb 3.0 u have no lag (hell 5 to 6 gbps :D ) with better sound this sound card is for the future
ps no audio drop ever or glitches
i get a audio glitch even with my rme if i try to put no delay at 96hz
24 bit (dont like that )

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 07:11
by dj_cross_fade
yanndj wrote:Just to add my two cents to this thread :
I see another good thing about usb 3.0 : it's fully bi-directionnal.
Some people have experienced little glitches in sound when heavily using a controller with integrated soundcard, especially the wheels, on some PC's (that's why i began using a pcmcia soundcard rather than the one included in my Hercules DJ Console).
USB 3.0 will definitively make this disappear....

Whoever is the manufacturer, an USB 3.0 combo controller+soundcard with mixvibes would be great.

Edit : Reading other threads on the forum gave me an idea, much cheaper to implement on hardware, and not needing the last computer : have 2 usb connections, one for sound one for controller...

good idea

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 07:48
by Hannes
dj_cross_fade wrote:then when u have a usb 3.0 u have no lag (hell 5 to 6 gbps :D ) with better sound this sound card is for the future
ps no audio drop ever or glitches
i get a audio glitch even with my rme if i try to put no delay at 96hz
24 bit (dont like that )


you do know that glitches/drop-outs per se have nothing to do with the connection being usb2.0.
That´s mainly your cpu not being able to read the buffer fast enough
(or sometimes a bug)

The highest bandwidth won't help if your cpu can´t handle the data fast enough.

In fact usb2.0 is capable of 50 channels in/out at the same time.
No DVS will ever make fully use of this.

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 12:40
by dj_cross_fade
this is what i know about usb 3.0 theres more to just speed
USB 3.0 will be more power efficient
One of the mandates of the new spec is more efficient power-usage protocols. USB 3.0 abandons device polling in favor of a new interrupt-driven protocol, which means non-active or idle devices (which aren’t being charged by the USB port) won’t have their power drained by the host controller as it looks for active data traffic. Instead, the devices will send the host a signal to begin data transfer. This feature will also be backward compatible with USB 2.0 certified devices and has power output from about 100miliamps to 900 milliamps. That means not only will you be able to power more than 4 devices from a single hub, but the increase current will let you charge up heftier hardware as well.
the load is on the usb 3.0 not the cpu usb 3.0 has its own chip to take care of it :D so j-kut to clear this up :cool: usb 3.0 has its own cpu in the laptop mac or PC or pci xpress card for lapop
this would let us run other software at the sametime if we wanted to :D :D :D :D

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 12:55
by Hannes
that´s all fine, but you don't get my point.

a usb3 device won't be backward-compatible to usb2 afaik.
Shure you can plug a usb2 device into a usb3 socket, but not vice versa.

there´s just no sense within the next 2-3 years until usb3 is the new standard. and by standard i mean a >80% distribution in pcs around the world.

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 20:10
by dj_cross_fade
j-kut wrote:that´s all fine, but you don't get my point.

a usb3 device won't be backward-compatible to usb2 afaik.
Shure you can plug a usb2 device into a usb3 socket, but not vice versa.

there´s just no sense within the next 2-3 years until usb3 is the new standard. and by standard i mean a >80% distribution in pcs around the world.

i have usb 3.0 hub and a usb 3.0 hard drive.plus 2.0 i pluged my usb 3.0 drive in to 2.0 and it worked
lil slower mind you but it worked non the less.

i understand what your saying and maybe u tied it on the 1st usb 3.0 chips
but now where on 3rd gen usb 3.0 now as it came out in 2009 .

you see i dont expect this sound card to be out anytime soon .maybe 2 years . :)

just in time as According to In-Stat Research, by 2013, more than one-quarter of USB 3.0 products will support SuperSpeed USB 3.0.
mixvibes sound card should do the same take there time its fine
i want something that will put my rme to shame .
as of now rme is the best sound card out how ever they
have a few things in there new sound cards i dont need and it drives up there price.

Image

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 20:13
by Hannes
interesting, which device?

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 21:18
by dj_cross_fade
j-kut wrote:interesting, which device?

Western Digital My Book usb 3.0 hard drive :D

Re: mixvibes usb 3.0 high sound card(time to win the war with ni

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 22:09
by dj_cross_fade
this new mixvibes sound card should have 2 usb 3.0plugs to make it easy to switch and one dc plug to plug in the wall