[Tutorial] Recording your mixes.

forum closed (read only)
Forum rules
PLEASE.READ.FORUM.RULES.SUPPORT.UPDATE

FORUM CLOSED PLEASE POST in NEW TECHNICAL FORUMS BY SOFTWARE FAMILY

* Register your software (User Control Panel > Profile > Serial Number)
* Go to the download center and install the latest versions of software and drivers
* Use the search tool to look into topics
* Check the FAQs to be sure your problem hasn't been solved already
* Write in concise and precise ENGLISH Thank you.

Do you record your mixes?

No, I never record my mixes.
24%
Yes, with the Mixvibes recording function.
16%
Yes, with an audio editor.
26%
Yes, with another computer.
25%
Yes, with an external recorder.
9%

Total votes : 104

[Tutorial] Recording your mixes.

Postby gakto2009 on 17 Jan 2009, 08:56

Recording your mixes

Every DJ wants to be able to record their mixes, wither it be for burning onto cd, transferring onto their mp3 player or for posting on the internet. At first glance, setup of your hardware and configuring your software can be very confusing, but really it’s not.
In this tutorial we will cover some basic methods of recording your mixes. Picking your method of recording can depend on many things but you will most likely find you already have everything you need to get started.

First of all let’s have a quick look at the various methods that can be used for your recording,

External Recording
Recording directly onto another computer or real time recording device proves to be one of the most effective methods of recording your mix. You have to remember that recording your mix using the same computer that’s running your Mixvibes setup may use valuable system recourses, affecting the performance of Mixvibes its self.

Internal Recording
This method causes the most confusion. The simplest way of explaining it would be, playing the audio from your desktop/laptop using mixvibes through an external mixer, then routing the audio back to your desktop/laptop for it to be recorded. This method can be the most draining on your system resources depending on how you choose to configure it for recording.

Direct Recording
This method is only available under certain circumstances. Mixing using a simple two stereo channel setup with external control such as a MIDI controller, computer keyboard or the actual user interface can enable you to record directly onto your computer using the record function on the main output rack within Mixvibes.

Setting up External Recording

Let’s start by looking at recording your mix onto another computer, i recommend you use this method where ever possible. Although you will gain the same quality using dedicated recording devices such as Minidisk, DAT Tape or direct to Compact Disk recorders, recording directly onto another computer saves having to copy your recording onto a hard disk (which takes time) for further editing, encoding or burning. Some DPMR (Digital Personal Media Recorder) devices can save to a media card or have usb for transferring the recordings to a computer, so if you are thinking about buying a dedicated recording device these are worth looking at.

Making the connections

Although recording directly into another computer is one of the most effective solutions, it is definitely one of the simplest methods to setup.

Simply connect an appropriate cable from your mixers Record Out to the Record Input of your computer. It’s really quite simple yes?

Now jump to the “Setting up your input for recording” section dedicated to your operating system.

Setting up Internal Recording

There are some different methods of internal recording to choose from depending on the hardware that is available to you. If the audio interface you use for Mixvibes has enough inputs then it is possible to record via the device, your audio device would require 6 inputs (3 stereo inputs) to do so while still using vinyl/cd control. Other options are using an extra USB audio capture/playback device or the internal audio device within your computer.

Note:
Its is common for integrated laptop audio devices to record in mono, recording in mono will drastically reduce your playback listening experience from a stereo or quadraphonic setup.

Making the connections

Simply connect an appropriate cable from your mixers Record Out to the Record Input of the audio device you have chosen to record your mix.

Now jump to the “Setting up your input for recording” section dedicated to your operating system.

Setting up Direct Recording

Direct recording is a very simple and effective means of recording your mix, though this method is limited to users who choose to use the internal mixer features of Mixvibes and MIDI control with two stereo outputs (Master Out & Monitor out).

First of all check what output channels your players are set to, this will determine what output you will use to record your mix.

By default the players are set to output on channel 01, this is the channel we will be recording. Activate the “Main Volume Rack” (View>Main Volume or Image).

The controls we will be working with are the Recording level fader and the record button, to activate the recorder simply press and hold the record button. Mixvibes will now ask you to set a file name and a destination folder to save the mix to.

After you have chosen a file name and selected a destination click “Save”, the record button will stay highlighted red indicating that the recorder is recording. It is recommended you try a test recording to check the audio level indicated by the VU meter.

To end the recording, press the record button again. Your audio will be saved automatically to the folder you chose during setup and will be ready for use.

Setting up your input for recording (Windows Vista)

In this section we will cover configuring your computers inputs levels and software so that your audio is recorded from the correct
input and the levels are not too loud or quiet.

First of all let’s visit the Windows recording configurations panel; you can access this by right clicking on the speaker icon in your system tray and selecting “Recording Devices”...

Or by navigating to “Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound” and the “Sound” options panel will show, now select the “Recording” tab to show your audio input devices.

Select the line input that corresponds to the input you connected your mixer to, to do this, highlight the input from the list and click “Set Default”.

Now make sure your input device is highlighted and click “properties”, the “Line-In Properties” window will show, select the “Levels” tab.

Set the line input level to 0 db (50%), the input volume will be determined by the output volume of your mixer... you may have to come back to these properties to increase the input level later when you check the input volume in your recording software.

After you have set these settings click “Ok”, then “Ok” again, now Windows is set up to record your audio with your preferred audio editor.

Now jump to “Setting up your audio levels with your audio editor”.

Setting up your input and software for recording (Windows XP)

This section will come soon. I need to find a computer with Xp on it.

Setting up your audio levels with your audio editor

For this demonstration i have used Sony’s SoundForge 9, SoundForge is a very comprehensive software that is relatively simple to use, however if you are only going to be using it to record your mixes and make simple edits it is a bit over kill. There are many free audio editors on the web and some CD burning software packages such as Nero and Roxio have basic audio recorders and editors built in.

First of all, play a song through your mixer setting all the gain/output levels so they peak at 0 db (or just into the red and no more).

Note:
If you are recoding using the record out on your mixer, the master output volume control will not alter the output volume of the record out. However if you are recording using the master out set the main volume output to 75% and only adjust for a higher/lower output level if necessary.

Your audio recording/editing software will record audio through the default Windows line-input, so go ahead and open your software and activate your recording VU meter.

With your music still playing, have a look at your VU meter in your recoding software, make sure the meter is peaking on or around the 0 db mark, it doesn’t have to be spot on as there is a little pay when peaking over, though you should aim to be recording at 0 db during your mix.

If your level is a little high/low then revisit the audio input level options with the Windows audio properties (“Vista, Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound”, “Xp, Path to sound options“) just the same as you did before, this time adjusting the level up or down so that the VU meter in your recording software peaks at 0 db.

After you have set all the levels you are ready to start recording your mixes! Don’t forget to check your recording levels regularly during your mix to ensure you maintain your peak level to help prevent clipping.

So there you have it, if you have any troubles folloing this tutorial or need some extra help, feel free to PM me and i'll help if i can.

Regards,
Bryan
..!.. ..!.. NO SUPPORT BY PM ..!.. ..!..

gakto2009

Re: [Tutorial] Recording your mixes.

Postby djarcade on 17 Jan 2009, 12:03

i use Jackdmp(jack v1.90). so i can use ableton live and mixvibes on the same computer.

http://forum.mixvibes.com/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=11091&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
djarcade

Postby djclintoris on 18 Jul 2009, 20:30

Excellent post! You covered all the bases. Here are some things I tell other djs when I record:

I find that DJs often break a recorded set by overpowering the levels. In trying to make the record sound loud, most djs crank up the trim and push the red line. Digital mixers are different from analog, and where pushing the mix used to work, one must now be conservative and create the power in the amp. Most DJ mixers are digital these days, so keep your levels under the yellow during your mix. The amp should be powerful enough to take the correctly tuned line signal and pump it to the max.

Additionally, when most djs mix two records, they floor both faders to full, or 10. Most digital mixers have a 'unity' of around 8, which is why the previous post recommends that you record at 75 percent. If you bring in a new track, bring the level down on the track currently playing from 8 (unity) to 7, so your new track has room to 'grow.' This gives an even signal on the master out, where most djs have a wave that is noticeable on the raw recording that has to be compressed, thus creating more processing of the signal.

Contact me if you have any questions on post-processing. I may start a thread if I don't find one.

DJ Clint
www.kansascityvinyldjs.com/
DJ Clintoris from the underground,

http://www.kansascityvinyldjs.com/
http://www.djs4kansascity.com/

Not all those who wander are lost...
djclintoris

Postby djclintoris on 18 Jul 2009, 20:32

More DJ Set Recording Optimizers! I almost forgot to include these!

Always record to a different hard disc than your music is sourced from, and always run your os on a drive that nothing else gets sourced from...

Optimal recording setup includes two computers and two external hard discs.

Get the max amount of ram for your computer.

Make sure you save between sets if possible so you don't lose the whole night!

BUY A BATTERY BACK UP!

Tag,

DJ C

www.kansascityvinyldjs.com/
www.djs4kansascity.com/
DJ Clintoris from the underground,

http://www.kansascityvinyldjs.com/
http://www.djs4kansascity.com/

Not all those who wander are lost...
djclintoris

Postby RachelleAnne on 28 Jul 2009, 00:21

Thanks for this tutorial. I am a new DJ and I want to learn a lot of things especially recordings. Thanks

Pret immobilier
RachelleAnne

Postby wazza on 29 Aug 2009, 14:38

RachelleAnne wrote:Thanks for this tutorial. I am a new DJ and I want to learn a lot of things especially recordings. Thanks

Pret immobilier

Hi RachelleAnne...Welcome to the mixvibes forums...
MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
wazza

Postby defjam01 on 27 Sep 2009, 20:36

Very good tutorial! Thanks.
Macbook Pro
Intel Core i7 2,7GHz
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
OSX, Windows 7 Prof, Producer, Vfx
U46 MK2, 2x Technics MKII, Stanton SA.3, Ortofon Concorde DJ
Akai MPD24
Vfx Control
defjam01

Postby bolt-up on 07 Jan 2010, 22:25

this is simply and helpful, thank you.

one thing that should be mentioned when making a direct line-in recording is to keep the levels very low. the default volumes tend to be very loud and could damage hardware
bolt-up

Postby UncleVibes on 07 Jan 2010, 22:38

the default volumes tend to be very loud and could damage hardware

Default volumes are supposed to be line level 0db you may need to reduce -3db
And your mix recorded...
UncleVibes

Postby World Wide Panik on 10 Jan 2010, 02:27

That explains a lot considering I just recorded my first mix the other day and OMG did it sound like crap. Every transition sounded like a train wreck of highs and mids with a thumping bass line. I will try again soon though with this knowledge.
If you would like to hear my tunes good Ol' Uncle Vibes hooked me up with this:http://www.unclevibes.com/worldwidepanik/131-blog-world-wide-panik.html

You can find me in one of these places. Cheers!
http://www.reverbnation.com/worldwidepanik
http://www.Facebook.com/WorldWidePanik
http://thedjlist.com/members/WorldWidePanik/

OR...

Catch my live show Mondays and Wednesdays at 8 PM EST (0100 GMT) on the "Secondary Radio" station at: http://www.universaldancestage.com/
World Wide Panik

Next

Return to Tips & Tutorials