Upgrading from U46 MK2 to U-Mix Control Pro 2:Pros and Cons

Forum closed (read only)
Forum rules
PLEASE.READ.FORUM.RULES.SUPPORT.UPDATE

FORUM CLOSED PLEASE POST in NEW TECHNICAL FORUMS BY SOFTWARE FAMILY

* Register your software (User Control Panel > Profile > Serial Number)
* Go to the download center and install the latest versions of software and drivers
* Use the search tool to look into topics
* Check the FAQs to be sure your problem hasn't been solved already
* Write in concise and precise ENGLISH Thank you.

Upgrading from U46 MK2 to U-Mix Control Pro 2:Pros and Cons

Postby rhopkins on 04 Nov 2011, 15:35

I have got to a point where I have saved some funds and I'm looking to improve my experience with Mixvibes and my whole DJing hobby. I've been practicing with Cross 1.7 and really like the new additions.

My current setup is that I have two decks and a mixer, plus a U46-Mk2. From the back of my mixer I have a cable that plugs into my laptops microphone port - I then use the "stereo mix" device in Windows 7 to play out the mix through my (pretty decent) PC speakers. I do this purely for space reasons - I don't have room for another amp and speaker set.

Some of you will be aware of my problems with my laptop as it is an icore 3 sandybridge. Recently, for whatever reason, these issues have been occurring more often. It is actually stopping me from practicing because each time it is a battle to work out how to get my signal strength up from my decks. (it usually involves restarting my Windows 7 laptop several times, unplugging the U46 until eventually it works). Sometimes signal strength will just suddenly drop through the floor after 20 minutes. Right now it just isn't as fun as it should be. I deal with technical IT issues at work, I don't want to be doing it at home.

So I've been looking at the U-Mix Control Pro 2 and really like the idea of being able to acccess all controls in Cross on it as opposed to moving my laptop mouse etc. I want to keep my decks and use timecode vinyl still but if I got good it would be useful to have the U-Mix Control Pro 2 to just pick up and take to parties etc.

Before I took the plunge, I wondered what you guys thought? Would I notice a difference in performance? Is the U-Mix Control Pro 2 more reliable? I would sell my U46 and my current mixer - as far as I can see I'd have no use for it anymore?

What do you guys think - go for it or save my cash?
MacBook Pro - 15" (Mid 2014)
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Re: Upgrading from U46 MK2 to U-Mix Control Pro 2:Pros and Cons

Postby Blackbrook on 04 Nov 2011, 18:21

rhopkins wrote:I wondered what you guys thought?

Sounds like a good idea!

rhopkins wrote:Would I notice a difference in performance? Is the U-Mix Control Pro 2 more reliable?

With my machine it does not matter if I use timecodes or a controller, both returns the same values in the dpc latency checker. I am in the same position as you are: we share (almost) the same equipment and we both like playing with decks and/or controllers. Just a sidenote: support@mixvibes wrote that there will be improvements in future Cross updates for i-Core users. I am looking forward to this as you definitely do ;) Another hint for more stability: Exchanging the ATI or NVIDIA graphic driver with the windows 7 default graphic driver brought a HUGE improvement for me according latency and drop outs. Latency checker returned values below 150µs.

rhopkins wrote:I would sell my U46 and my current mixer - as far as I can see I'd have no use for it anymore?

Bad idea! UMC2 does not have an internal audio interface. You need the U46 then. If you decide for the U-Mix Control Pro you get a 4In/4Out audio interface.

rhopkins wrote:What do you guys think - go for it or save my cash?

Hard to say. I can only say that it was worth getting the U-Mix Control Pro. Maybe you want to check it and give it back if it is not what you expected it to be?! Check your store ;)

Cheers,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby rhopkins on 04 Nov 2011, 18:31

Blackbrook wrote:Just a sidenote: support@mixvibes wrote that there will be improvements in future Cross updates for i-Core users. I am looking forward to this as you definitely do ;)

Wow, big news. That would be amazing. Any idea how long a wait we're looking at? (dumb question, but have to ask).

Blackbrook wrote:Another hint for more stability: Exchanging the ATI or NVIDIA graphic driver with the windows 7 default graphic driver brought a HUGE improvement for me according latency and drop outs. Latency checker returned values below 150µs.

Another big piece of information. How on earth is it related?!

rhopkins wrote:I would sell my U46 and my current mixer - as far as I can see I'd have no use for it anymore?

Blackbrook wrote:Bad idea! UMC2 does not have an internal audio interface. You need the U46 then. If you decide for the U-Mix Control Pro you get a 4In/4Out audio interface.

This has confused me. I am talking about getting this http://www.mixvibes.com/content/u-mix-control-pro - I'd still need my U46 with this? Wouldn't this recognise timecode? I think I need a diagram....!

EDIT: Looking at the images - there's no output to external speakers on the U-Mix Control Pro? So how would I get sound to external speakers?

Blackbrook wrote:Check your store ;)

I wish I knew somewhere locally that stocked it. :(
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Postby Blackbrook on 04 Nov 2011, 19:17

rhopkins wrote:
Blackbrook wrote:Just a sidenote: support@mixvibes wrote that there will be improvements in future Cross updates for i-Core users. I am looking forward to this as you definitely do ;)

Wow, big news. That would be amazing. Any idea how long a wait we're looking at? (dumb question, but have to ask).

No, sorry. I am waiting for it too, patience is a gift ;)

rhopkins wrote:
Blackbrook wrote:Another hint for more stability: Exchanging the ATI or NVIDIA graphic driver with the windows 7 default graphic driver brought a HUGE improvement for me according latency and drop outs. Latency checker returned values below 150µs.

Another big piece of information. How on earth is it related?!

I really don't know. I have tested it and it is true for me. Addiotnally deleting all covers boosted my performance. It seems as if there is some graphic related that does not work perfectly?! The dev says it will be fixed very soon ;)

rhopkins wrote:

Blackbrook wrote:Bad idea! UMC2 does not have an internal audio interface. You need the U46 then. If you decide for the U-Mix Control Pro you get a 4In/4Out audio interface.

This has confused me. I am talking about getting this http://www.mixvibes.com/content/u-mix-control-pro - I'd still need my U46 with this? Wouldn't this recognise timecode? I think I need a diagram....!

You wrote about UMC2 but meant the U-Mix Control Pro, all is fine. If you buy the U-Mix Control Pro you do not need the U46!

rhopkins wrote:
Blackbrook wrote:Check your store ;)

I wish I knew somewhere locally that stocked it. :(

A damn :-/ Otherwise there are lots of resellers that offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Ask JimB, he has ordered at Thomann, a german based music store which offers it. I am a happy customer of this store since years, but I am located in germany ;) You should ask Jim what he can say about the transaction.

Cheers,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby Hannes on 04 Nov 2011, 19:22

just to add my 2 cents:

Never sell anything, if you don't have to, you never know when it might come in handy again.

And also never change a running system,
but you can always setup a second one ;)
June 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

https://soundcloud.com/han-nes-10/fridaybeatdown2ndedition
no support by pm

beta troll

Macbook Pro 13, late 2011, 6GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500
Thudrumble TR-1S, Vestax VFX-1, ESI Maya USB+, Rane SL2
Hannes

Postby rhopkins on 04 Nov 2011, 19:24

Looking at page 22 here, I am still a little confused with how my setup will work in terms of output to speakers.

So I will plug a deck into input 1/2 and a deck into input 3/4.

There are 1/2 and 3/4 outputs....where do they go? Anywhere?

Remember, I am using speakers plugged into the headphone socket on the laptop. Will that just work with this setup? At the moment I have a cable running from my external mixer into the microphone port and then use the "Stereo Mix" device in Windows.

@j-kut. Appreciate your comment, but although it is running I am just not enjoying it at the moment. Out of 2 hours practicing time I spend usually at least an hour trying to get things to work each time, before it fails on me 20 minutes in. It is painful and does not help when learning a hobby!
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Postby Blackbrook on 04 Nov 2011, 21:11

How do you spin at the moment? With timecodes? If so you have plugged in your decks at Input 1/2 and 3/4, right? The Outputs 1/2 and 3/4 are conected to you mixer? If so it is the same connection while using the U-Mix Control Pro in timecode mode with the "External Mixer" routing mode. If you play with the MIDI controller only you can use the routing mode "Dual Stereo" and plug the cable that is connected to your computer now into the output 1/2. Have a look into the Cross routing modes, this will bring light into the dark I think ;)

Cheers,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby rhopkins on 04 Nov 2011, 21:24

Blackbrook wrote:How do you spin at the moment? With timecodes? If so you have plugged in your decks at Input 1/2 and 3/4, right? The Outputs 1/2 and 3/4 are conected to you mixer? If so it is the same connection while using the U-Mix Control Pro in timecode mode with the "External Mixer" routing mode. If you play with the MIDI controller only you can use the routing mode "Dual Stereo" and plug the cable that is connected to your computer now into the output 1/2. Have a look into the Cross routing modes, this will bring light into the dark I think ;)

Cheers,

Steve

Ive read it a few times, but no diagram shows exactly what I'm thinking. For some reason, because the pro is an internal mixer I thought I wouldn't need my external one anymore? The above makes it sound like I would?

That's a problem as I don't have enough space for my current mixer and the pro :(
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Postby Jim B on 04 Nov 2011, 21:44

rhopkins wrote:I wish I knew somewhere locally that stocked it. :(

Here you go mate.

MSL PROFESSIONAL
Studio 5, Power Road Studios, 114 Power Road - London W4 5PY
http://www.mslprofessional.co.uk
0044 207 118 0133

They are the UK Distrubuties for MixVibes. I meet 2 lads from the company, (nice guys btw) while I was helping out at the MixVibes Booth at BPM.

I see by your profile that you are from London, so hopefully if it is not to far away, you can go and have a look at one and you never know you might get a cracking deal ;)

If you buy the U-Mix Control Pro then you wouldn't need a external mixer. The U-Mix Control Pro can be used as the mixer, with the extra benefit of MIDI.

Your Turntables/CDJ will connect to inputs 1&2, 3&4. Then all you would need is small active speakers and connect them to Output 1&2 and away you go.

And btw, Steve is correct, Thomann is a good online store. I ordered a Hecules 4-Mx from them and I recieved it in 4 days, not bad at all.
Jim B

Postby rhopkins on 04 Nov 2011, 22:09

Jim B wrote:
rhopkins wrote:I wish I knew somewhere locally that stocked it. :(

Here you go mate.

MSL PROFESSIONAL
Studio 5, Power Road Studios, 114 Power Road - London W4 5PY
http://www.mslprofessional.co.uk
0044 207 118 0133

They are the UK Distrubuties for MixVibes. I meet 2 lads from the company, (nice guys btw) while I was helping out at the MixVibes Booth at BPM.

I see by your profile that you are from London, so hopefully if it is not to far away, you can go and have a look at one and you never know you might get a cracking deal ;)

If you buy the U-Mix Control Pro then you wouldn't need a external mixer. The U-Mix Control Pro can be used as the mixer, with the extra benefit of MIDI.

Your Turntables/CDJ will connect to inputs 1&2, 3&4. Then all you would need is small active speakers and connect them to Output 1&2 and away you go.

And btw, Steve is correct, Thomann is a good online store. I ordered a Hecules 4-Mx from them and I recieved it in 4 days, not bad at all.

That is quite some way from me, but maybe worth a trip there.

I think I am getting this now. Because my speakers are plugged into my laptop, I would simply use the cable that goes from my external mixer to the microphone port, but go from the output 1/2 of the pro instead.

And because I'd set the inputs on the pro to line they'd recognise the timecode?

EDIT: Argh, this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... es8#t=263s - contradicts what we were saying about timecode, the pro and an external mixer.
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Next

Return to Technical support