Cross DJ Video Suggestions

Suggest features and improvements

Cross DJ Video Suggestions

Postby djdpuk on 22 Sep 2016, 14:32

I am aiming to use Cross DJ for video mixing but have come across various problems, here are my suggestions to make it better :-)

1. Better stability. Currently it crashes every time I close down after use (Cross quit unexpectedly), sometimes there is a 'Ghost Track' still playing when switch from separate screen but goes off when you shrink the screen even had a Full audio drop out a few times.

2. Beat grid analysis needs to be more accurate and a more friendly user interface for fine tuning. Various times I fine tune my track and when I reloaded it later, the settings have reset back to the original.

3. The Sample decks syncing to the master is very un-reliable. If you click sync twice or more it doesn't work full stop.

4. You should be able to turn off the master option on the sample decks.

5. MIDI mapping keeps disappearing and very unstable. I amending one of my mapping the other day and made a mistake, so I deleted it with in Cross and it delete the main MIDI file. I had to start again from scratch!!!

6. The Sample decks should be able to be assigned to their own output channel. At the moment decks C & D (The sample decks) are coming out same channel on DJM as main decks 1 & 2, even when in simple stereo mode.

7. An option for you can get the Cross fader to do both audio and video in external mixer routing mode in audio settings, it is currently Video transition only.

8. A option to Play / pause in the sampler.

9. The ability to eject a track from the deck.

10. The ability to be able to Hide the mixing waveform at top

11. A Vertical waveform option.

12. An option to be able to reduce the height of the deck waveforms

Other than the above, its perfect!!! :lol:

I really like the program, but as it hasn't been developed in any way for years it is getting left behind and probably loosing a lot of faithful customers..

Cheers

Dan
djdpuk

Re: Cross DJ Video Suggestions

Postby RoJeC on 23 Sep 2016, 10:01

djdpuk wrote:I am aiming to use Cross DJ for video mixing but have come across various problems, here are my suggestions to make it better :-)

1. Better stability. Currently it crashes every time I close down after use (Cross quit unexpectedly)'.

Please use version 3.3.11(if you don't...)
It's a known problem for Mac users. Will be fixed in next release. Workaround would be to disable track security.

sometimes there is a 'Ghost Track' still playing when switch from separate screen but goes off when you shrink the screen even had a Full audio drop out a few times.

Not sure what you mean. Please explain which track is the ghost.
Audio drop outs mean your latency is to low. Be aware that for video much more CPU is needed, so some more audio buffering will solve this (be sure to use ASIO driver)

2. Beat grid analysis needs to be more accurate and a more friendly user interface for fine tuning. Various times I fine tune my track and when I reloaded it later, the settings have reset back to the original.

There are limitations to beat grid analyses, especially with drifting beats.
Grid modifications are supposed to be saved. If you're using an older Cross version you might have the problem that analyses is started for tracks already analyzed, resulting in the grid being reset. If you're using the latest version it might be you don't have full r/w access to tracks and/or analyses folder.
3. The Sample decks syncing to the master is very un-reliable. If you click sync twice or more it doesn't work full stop.

?? If you click twice it's disabled. If you click 3 times it's synced to the master again (which means it's the same unless you changed master)

Select an other as master??

5. MIDI mapping keeps disappearing and very unstable. I amending one of my mapping the other day and made a mistake, so I deleted it with in Cross and it delete the main MIDI file. I had to start again from scratch!!!

Every MIDI mapping made by a user is a seperate file. If you want a backup, just make a copy (or more like a backup: export).
6. The Sample decks should be able to be assigned to their own output channel. At the moment decks C & D (The sample decks) are coming out same channel on DJM as main decks 1 & 2, even when in simple stereo mode.

If you have 4 outputs you can use external mixer mode for this. Simple (and dual) stereo by definition can't provide more channels..
7. An option for you can get the Cross fader to do both audio and video in external mixer routing mode in audio settings, it is currently Video transition only.

Preferences > Video 'Link Audio/volume faders'

Play>pause can be done in loop and hold mode.
In single shot the alternative is to disable speaker.
Pause > play can't be done. This has to do with the way Cross syncs the samples

Alt Shift L/R arrow (or any keyboard or MIDI command you map)

Menu > View > Beatmatcher

Please provide some motivation/explanation on the how and why

This would also effect the pitch sliders (assuming you don't want more black). You can however set to mini players (showing larger collection list)

I really like the program, but as it hasn't been developed in any way for years it is getting left behind and probably loosing a lot of faithful customers..

Cheers

Dan

Great to see that several of your suggestion are already there for years. Last update of Cross is just over one year, which was a major change to prepare for the future. The code has been rewritten to be true 64-bit (and not compiled 32 bit). This opened up the route for major changes like more complicated FX's and video handling (including options to use 4k vid in future) ... There's being worked on the next release with some delay as despite the years of presence 64bit isn't to common yet in gathering components to be used. Also both MS as Apple make it harder to use audio by reducing options at OS level, so new standards are to be explored.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby djdpuk on 24 Sep 2016, 01:15

Thanks for the reply Ronald, see attached my further comments.. :-)

1. Better stability. Currently it crashes every time I close down after use (Cross quit unexpectedly)'

Please use version 3.3.11(if you don't...)
It's a known problem for Mac users. Will be fixed in next release. Workaround would be to disable track security.

I am currently using 3.3.11. Can you advise when the next update will be available please? Or if not, advise on the fixes so I can decide whether to continue with Cross or find a more suitable / stable option.

sometimes there is a 'Ghost Track' still playing when switch from separate screen but goes off when you shrink the screen even had a Full audio drop out a few times.

Not sure what you mean. Please explain which track is the ghost.
Audio drop outs mean your latency is to low. Be aware that for video much more CPU is needed, so some more audio buffering will solve this (be sure to use ASIO driver)

Thanks, I will try changing the latency and see how it goes. What settings would you recommend?

On the Ghost track. I am using two monitors, one with toggle external display turned on (so the full mixed video is showing) and if turn off the external display, it sometimes leaves the track playing when both decks are stopped..

There are limitations to beat grid analyses, especially with drifting beats.
Grid modifications are supposed to be saved. If you're using an older Cross version you might have the problem that analyses is started for tracks already analyzed, resulting in the grid being reset. If you're using the latest version it might be you don't have full r/w access to tracks and/or analyses folder.

As mentioned previously, I'm on the latest version but can you advise on how I check and change the r/w access? Also, Is there any way to type the BPM in manually? The reason this problem has been brought to my attention was because I purchased a batch of sample which all have a BPM of exactly 125 and when Cross has analysed them, they range from 119.68 up to 199.71!! I am having to manually tap the beat to as close as I can and then fine tune them, but they keep reverting back. Is there are save button I am missing somewhere? Or should they autosave when you come out of the Beatgrid editor?

?? If you click twice it's disabled. If you click 3 times it's synced to the master again (which means it's the same unless you changed master)

The problem is when I click it the 3rd time (or 5th, or 7th, etc..), It doesn't sync. I have to stopped the sample and re-start it to get it to sync again. Am I doing something wrong?

Select an other as master??

I understand this and have been doing this, but it keeps reverting to the sample deck as the master which is gets very annoying but was thinking that removing the Master option on the sample decks would be a simple and very welcome upgrade.

Every MIDI mapping made by a user is a seperate file. If you want a backup, just make a copy (or more like a backup: export).

I have staring doing that every time I amend it now, but I have deleted MIDI mappings from within Cross before and it never deleted the main MIDI file. Am I doing something wrong? Does this revert back to the r/w access options?

If you have 4 outputs you can use external mixer mode for this. Simple (and dual) stereo by definition can't provide more channels..

You are right, this works in External Mixer mode but the Cross fader only shows 'VIDEO' on it in this mode even when I have 'Link Audio/Video Volume Faders' ticked. Also, how do I get Cross to record the audio when I do a video mix? I have 'Keep audio recording' ticked in the Video / General section but they all have no sound!!

Preferences > Video 'Link Audio/volume faders'

As mentioned above, this doesn't seem to work in External mixer mode. When you switch to Simple Stereo mode, the Cross fader can be split, top audio & bottom video and this seems to work. Is this possible in External Mixer mode?

Play>pause can be done in loop and hold mode.
In single shot the alternative is to disable speaker.
Pause > play can't be done. This has to do with the way Cross syncs the samples

I don't know what you mean by 'loop and hold mode', can you explain further please?

Alt Shift L/R arrow (or any keyboard or MIDI command you map)

Okay thanks.. How do I get my CDJ-2000nxs to eject them?

Menu > View > Beatmatcher

Please provide some motivation/explanation on the how and why

I mean just for the beatmatching ones.. The reason is because I am struggling for space in height on my screen (as I currently have the header bars, Horizontal beatmatching, The video screens, 2 decks, 2 sample decks and a little section for the track list. If Vertical beatmtaching waveforms were an option, everything else wouldn't seem so squashed.. Maybe if you go Toggle the external display, the other two video screens could be shown instead of the track covers on the decks??

This would also effect the pitch sliders (assuming you don't want more black). You can however set to mini players (showing larger collection list)

Noted. Maybe if the track description / BPM at the top was put on to one line instead of two or you were able to adjust the text size. The Master button, Pitch Range, Pitch Mode buttons and Locator drop down button could all be moved above/below the deck waveform. The Pitch slider would have more room and thus the height of the wave forms could be reduced??

Cheers

Dan

Great to see that several of your suggestion are already there for years. Last update of Cross is just over one year, which was a major change to prepare for the future. The code has been rewritten to be true 64-bit (and not compiled 32 bit). This opened up the route for major changes like more complicated FX's and video handling (including options to use 4k vid in future) ... There's being worked on the next release with some delay as despite the years of presence 64bit isn't to common yet in gathering components to be used. Also both MS as Apple make it harder to use audio by reducing options at OS level, so new standards are to be explored.

I hope my comments don't come across as being negative or too critical. I understand these things take time but waiting for over a year for any software update is un-acceptable in this day and age!! Pioneer have raised the bar when it comes to DJ software with the release of Rekordbox DJ, with updates being currently about every month (and I understand they have loads of money, resources, etc..) but Cross has been overtaken in most areas my them already.. I hope for mixvibes sake, you pull your socks up and get a good stable update released very soon that blows all the others out the water!! :-)

Thanks again

Dan
djdpuk

Postby RoJeC on 24 Sep 2016, 21:38

djdpuk wrote:I am currently using 3.3.11. Can you advise when the next update will be available please?

The devteam decides on updates. This bug has to little impact to justify a full release cycle. If you have other crashes, don't hesitate to provide them to the devteam.

Thanks, I will try changing the latency and see how it goes. What settings would you recommend?

As low as possible without dropouts. Depends on your hardware. Higher latency means less responsive, so the judgement is to you.

On the Ghost track. I am using two monitors, one with toggle external display turned on (so the full mixed video is showing) and if turn off the external display, it sometimes leaves the track playing when both decks are stopped..

Don't recall to ever have seen someone report this. How do you turn of external screen and how are your players stopped. The way you describe it would mean that the deck is restarted. Or would it be the Preview mode that you hear.

As mentioned previously, I'm on the latest version but can you advise on how I check and change the r/w access? Also, Is there any way to type the BPM in manually? The reason this problem has been brought to my attention was because I purchased a batch of sample which all have a BPM of exactly 125 and when Cross has analysed them, they range from 119.68 up to 199.71!! I am having to manually tap the beat to as close as I can and then fine tune them, but they keep reverting back. Is there are save button I am missing somewhere? Or should they autosave when you come out of the Beatgrid editor?

File rights: check if the track has read only rights in your file system.
You can fill the BPM manually in the collection grid. saved immediately.
One of the concepts of Cross is that it uses the BPM analyses to do the sync, set locators, loops, etc.
For samples (tracks) with a lot of silence Cross can be pretty off, also with track volume.
You may (if close) better use the BPM of Cross, so it can be synced by Cross (but manually do it may be required as you determined)

The problem is when I click it the 3rd time (or 5th, or 7th, etc..), It doesn't sync. I have to stopped the sample and re-start it to get it to sync again. Am I doing something wrong?

You sync the deck to the master. If the master didn't change nothing will change. So it may be that you have something else going on?

was thinking that removing the Master option on the sample decks would be a simple and very welcome upgrade.

What if you want to sync your tracks to 125 BPM's of sampler?

I have staring doing that every time I amend it now, but I have deleted MIDI mappings from within Cross before and it never deleted the main MIDI file. Am I doing something wrong? Does this revert back to the r/w access options?

You cannot delete the default Cross MIDI mappings. It's build in the software.

You are right, this works in External Mixer mode but the Cross fader only shows 'VIDEO' on it in this mode even when I have 'Link Audio/Video Volume Faders' ticked. Also, how do I get Cross to record the audio when I do a video mix? I have 'Keep audio recording' ticked in the Video / General section but they all have no sound!!

In external mixer Cross sends all audio at line level to your mixer. You don't mix audio with Cross in this mode, so the audio isn't linked to the video, nor would it make sense to record the Cross audio.
If you want to save your mix you have to use an output of your mixer and send this to your PC/mac. In Cross the Aux input can be used for this as well as for recording.

As mentioned above, this doesn't seem to work in External mixer mode. When you switch to Simple Stereo mode, the Cross fader can be split, top audio & bottom video and this seems to work. Is this possible in External Mixer mode?

see previous

I don't know what you mean by 'loop and hold mode', can you explain further please?

bottom left of each sample pad you set the sample behaviour. Loop, single shot or hold (hold button to be active)

9. Okay thanks.. How do I get my CDJ-2000nxs to eject them?

No, don't know.

Use a different monitor :lol:

Maybe if you go Toggle the external display, the other two video screens could be shown instead of the track covers on the decks??

Any design will have pro's and cons and may work in one view but not in an other. So thanks for the explanation.

Noted. Maybe if the track description / BPM at the top was put on to one line instead of two or you were able to adjust the text size. The Master button, Pitch Range, Pitch Mode buttons and Locator drop down button could all be moved above/below the deck waveform. The Pitch slider would have more room and thus the height of the wave forms could be reduced??

See previous... many dependencies, also various screen sizes/ratios are to be considered.

I hope my comments don't come across as being negative or too critical. I understand these things take time but waiting for over a year for any software update is un-acceptable in this day and age!! Pioneer have raised the bar when it comes to DJ software with the release of Rekordbox DJ, with updates being currently about every month (and I understand they have loads of money, resources, etc..) but Cross has been overtaken in most areas my them already.. I hope for mixvibes sake, you pull your socks up and get a good stable update released very soon that blows all the others out the water!! :-)

Thanks again

Dan

Motivated suggestions are always welcome. Recordbox indeed is getting closer. And certainly puts in in many resources. Mixvibes is pretty aware of RB if only because the initial versions are build by mixvibes.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Return to Suggestions