Some practically suggestions

Suggest features and improvements

Some practically suggestions

Postby dj_nordisch on 22 Dec 2015, 00:22

First I want to say that I'm very glad with Cross DJ! Chapeau to you Developers for the effort!

Here're some suggestions:

1. Show everything in nested folders

Most of us have nested playlists with a main genre and sub-folders/playlists with more special distinctions.

It would be great to see EVERYTHING that's included in summary of ALL of the next-level sub-folders/playlists when clicking at the superior playlist/folder!

This doesn't work in the Collection as well as in the iTunes panel...

2. Match songs by actual tempo and genre/playlist

Sometimes I play a song at several bpm faster and would like to see a updated view for matching songs with the actual tempo.

Or I really want to see song suggestions just for a specific genre or of a designated playlist.

3. Import hierarchy of iTunes Playlists

Speaking of nested Playlists I really would like to see a possibility to import a nested playlist with sub-playlists from iTunes with one click instead of clicking several times and rebuild their hierarchy in the collection...

4. Waveform Performance during scrolling

Since Mac OS X El Capitan the waveforms freezes during scrolling thru the library so much I always pray Cross doesn't crash on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2014, 8GB Ram)

5. Recall knobs and settings of the attached Controller at start-up

I always have to rotate and move every knobs and faders on my DDJ-SX MK1 after Cross 3.3.11 has started to bring the software in line with the real controller settings. This is very annoying and I would like to see a recall at start.

6. Shifted cue points (!)

I don't know why this happens in Cross, but I had several issues with shifted / moved cue points after restarting Cross.

I set them very accurate (with Quantize and Snap turned off) and recognized that they are shifted some milliseconds to either left or right of where I set them in the previous session.

Very, very strange ;-)

7. Sound

In accordance to Serato or Traktor the sound isn't as much good as it can be. I tried every EQ simulation but it still lacks some "WHAM!!!" in the output. Yes I know, that may be an individual audition ;-)

Okay, that's all folks. Hopefully you can use some of this as an input to make Cross DJ even better. Serato, VDJ and Traktor are no alternatives for me...
dj_nordisch

Re: Some practically suggestions

Postby DJ Vintage on 23 Dec 2015, 16:08

dj_nordisch wrote:1. Show everything in nested folders

Most of us have nested playlists with a main genre and sub-folders/playlists with more special distinctions.

It would be great to see EVERYTHING that's included in summary of ALL of the next-level sub-folders/playlists when clicking at the superior playlist/folder!

This doesn't work in the Collection as well as in the iTunes panel...

"Most of us" ... sorry m8 but you have to speak for yourself here. Every DJ has his/her own workflow, including the way we work with playlists. So there is no most of us here.
I for one do not have genre based "root-folders" with subfolders/playlists.

However, I can see how it COULD be on some peoples wishlist to see all tracks in a certain folder, regardless of what playlist they are in. Rather than have that as standard, I would suggest to make this an optional setting.
It is also the standard way iTunes behaves. Click the folder and get all tracks in that folder.

2. Match songs by actual tempo and genre/playlist

Sometimes I play a song at several bpm faster and would like to see a updated view for matching songs with the actual tempo.

Or I really want to see song suggestions just for a specific genre or of a designated playlist.

Personally I think that Match is a nice "get out of jail free" option when you are stuck. Much more sense is having a correctly sized collection, a smaller subset which you take to a gig (about twice the amount of tracks needed for that gig), and knowing all your tracks intimately. That eliminates the need for a computer to tell you what track would fit next based on bpm, musical key and genre for example. The most important thing in DJ-ing (imho) is the skill to know "what must come next". Leaving that up to a computer, what do you need a DJ for anymore?

3. Import hierarchy of iTunes Playlists

Speaking of nested Playlists I really would like to see a possibility to import a nested playlist with sub-playlists from iTunes with one click instead of clicking several times and rebuild their hierarchy in the collection...

I created a test folder in iTunes, added two playlists to it. Dragged the test folder to the collection icon in Cross. The tracks all showed in collection AND under playlists was the test folder under which the two playlists. Seems like Cross already has this covered for you!.

4. Waveform Performance during scrolling

Since Mac OS X El Capitan the waveforms freezes during scrolling thru the library so much I always pray Cross doesn't crash on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2014, 8GB Ram)

How big is your collection? I don't recall having that problem (mid 2013, 16GB Ram). Not that I am worried about that happening if it did. After all, what do you need the waveforms for other than at moments you want to "do" something like FX, Loops, Transitions. At which point you are not browsing tracks anyway, right?

5. Recall knobs and settings of the attached Controller at start-up

I always have to rotate and move every knobs and faders on my DDJ-SX MK1 after Cross 3.3.11 has started to bring the software in line with the real controller settings. This is very annoying and I would like to see a recall at start.

I seem to have had that with the volume faders at some point. But that was fixed a few updates ago. Now it just recalls and works as expected.

7. Sound

In accordance to Serato or Traktor the sound isn't as much good as it can be. I tried every EQ simulation but it still lacks some "WHAM!!!" in the output. Yes I know, that may be an individual audition ;-)

I have been using Cross for paying gigs for the better part of 3 or 4 years now I think and have never found anything at fault with the sound quality of the program. I have compared A/B with Serato (full version) and recently RekordBox DJ. And no discernable differences. Source track quality, PA quality, sound card (controller) quality are all factors that I believe have a much bigger impact on sound quality overall.

I agree with Cross being a great program and even with Serato and RB DJ being viable alternatives now that I have a supported controller I am nowhere near switching to either of them.
DJ Vintage

Return to Suggestions