Key tagging and matched track tagging

Suggest features and improvements

Key tagging and matched track tagging

Postby SoulWhiteMan on 03 Aug 2015, 04:52

Hello all

I am writing for a suggestion (hopefully I am doing something wrong and this feature exists)

Te harmonic key analysis is fantastic; however it appears the key information is not written to the track ID3 tags and not showing in Rekordbox or their CDJ players, unlike Traktors open key format.

It would be great if Cross did this automatically. I have selected "tag tracks" in my preferences in Cross.

As some one else has mentioned the matched track information would be great as well.

I use Cross primarily at home with my Numark 4trak controller and play on CDJs at gigs- I moved from traktor to Cross a month ago as it worked better with rekordbox for playlists etc; however the lack of key information in the track really stood out when I exported from rekordbox to usb.

As you guys are aware rekordbox came out with a performance beta; if they have harmonic key detention they could be trying to get into the space I thought you were doing a great job at: use Cross at home, use rekordbox and CDJs at the club.

Matched tracks and keys need to move a Cross to rekordbox please... Then you will be ahead of rekordbox performance version.

Keep up the good work...
SoulWhiteMan

Re: Key tagging and matched track tagging

Postby RoJeC on 03 Aug 2015, 12:39

Not sure if this will help ..
Make sure your files aren't read only.

Please register your software in your user profile.

Do you use the sync to RecordBox feature in Cross?

Matched tracks ain't a simple thing to export as it depends on the indexing method of either program.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby SoulWhiteMan on 03 Aug 2015, 14:43

Hi Roland

Thank you for your response. I have updated my user profile.

I had noticed that the Traktor open key tags were appearing in rekordbox. Classic notation came up in rekordbox for any files that were analysed by Rekordbox and not Traktor which made it a little annoying when I exported everything to USB.

I had Traktor Pro 2.8 and used it to remove the tag data from all of my MP3 files prior to uninstalling it.

My idea for getting Cross was that it was a more efficient use of time and I loved the harmonic Camelot key notation as well, as opposed to the open key format in Traktor.

I sync to rekordbox through Cross and have followed the instructions - everything transposes across - the playlists and cues, but not the 5A, 5B notation.

Just a few moments ago I did a test run and set up a playlist in Cross called 'test keys' and put 4 tracks in it.

It works like a charm in Cross - BPM and harmonic keys appear. They appear in the Info pane on the file too

In Rekordbox, the key detection and tag writing is disbled. However, once I open the 'test keys' playlist, everything is appearing as classic notation.

Is the 5A, 5B harmonic key tagging supposed to move from Cross to Rekordbox?
SoulWhiteMan

Postby discopex on 03 Aug 2015, 17:55

SoulWhiteMan wrote:Hi Roland

Thank you for your response. I have updated my user profile.

I had noticed that the Traktor open key tags were appearing in rekordbox. Classic notation came up in rekordbox for any files that were analysed by Rekordbox and not Traktor which made it a little annoying when I exported everything to USB.

I had Traktor Pro 2.8 and used it to remove the tag data from all of my MP3 files prior to uninstalling it.

My idea for getting Cross was that it was a more efficient use of time and I loved the harmonic Camelot key notation as well, as opposed to the open key format in Traktor.

I sync to rekordbox through Cross and have followed the instructions - everything transposes across - the playlists and cues, but not the 5A, 5B notation.

Just a few moments ago I did a test run and set up a playlist in Cross called 'test keys' and put 4 tracks in it.

It works like a charm in Cross - BPM and harmonic keys appear. They appear in the Info pane on the file too

In Rekordbox, the key detection and tag writing is disbled. However, once I open the 'test keys' playlist, everything is appearing as classic notation.

Is the 5A, 5B harmonic key tagging supposed to move from Cross to Rekordbox?

Rekordbox uses only the 'musical' key tagging system. :(
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby superdj4life on 03 Aug 2015, 20:43

Rekordbox doesn't use the Camelot notation (1A, 12B etc.) it's copyrighted by Mixed in Key, Pioneer would probably have to pay to license fee to include it in their program.

you can use a program like Mp3tag to write the Key field to field you don't use (I use the comments section) You'll end up with proper keys in the key field and Camelot notation somewhere else.

this way you'll have both, and when you play on CDJ's you can set them to show the comments in the display as you scroll song titles.

http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/CommercialLicensing.aspx

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
M4500 Quad Core i5 3ghz (Windows 8 Ent x64)
8Gb DDR3 MEM 320Gb HDD
2x Stanton STR8-100 Vinyl Turntables
2x Stanton CMP-800 CD Turntables
Behringer DDM4000
Novation Dicer
Numark IDJ3
superdj4life

Postby SoulWhiteMan on 03 Aug 2015, 22:29

Thanks for the response, I was heading down the manual tag route and wanted to see if it could be done by Cross the same eatTtaktor writes their open key format.

My suggestion then for future releases is to have this written by the DJ software itself.
SoulWhiteMan

Postby SoulWhiteMan on 04 Aug 2015, 13:39

Hi guys

Just a quick update, the key information is stored in the Initial Key field in the MP3 Tag, so Cross is doing it's job.

Rekordbox is, for some reason, using it's own key system (even when auto key analysis/write to ID3 tags is not selected).

I will batch convert these using a 3rd party software like 1d3-tag etc to put the key into the Comments field of the tag, like Mixed in Key does.

SUGGESTION: Please have this done automatically in future versions of Cross

Thanks
SoulWhiteMan

Postby discopex on 04 Aug 2015, 15:45

SoulWhiteMan wrote:Hi guys

Just a quick update, the key information is stored in the Initial Key field in the MP3 Tag, so Cross is doing it's job.

Rekordbox is, for some reason, using it's own key system (even when auto key analysis/write to ID3 tags is not selected).

I will batch convert these using a 3rd party software like 1d3-tag etc to put the key into the Comments field of the tag, like Mixed in Key does.

SUGGESTION: Please have this done automatically in future versions of Cross

Thanks

Such batch conversion is probably quite easy to script in MP3Tag as well.
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Return to Suggestions