analysis files

Suggest features and improvements

analysis files

Postby savedev on 27 Jul 2015, 14:49

Dear all,
is it possible in the Windows version inhibit the creation of analysis files ?

I've a lot of songs and these analysis files are more of 300kb each one !! :eek:

I use the android app Pro version and it's fantastic, i would use also the windows program but these files are unpleasant on PC/tablets with small disk space.

thanks in advance

Save
savedev

Re: analysis files

Postby RoJeC on 27 Jul 2015, 23:50

The windows/mac version has more options due to more CPU power and diskspace. This allows for better/more performance.
Android has less features within the OS on audio than win/osx have, so less analysis details are needed.
Also fast access is required as the analysis files are need in the milliseconds a track is loaded, so compressing isn't an option.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby savedev on 28 Jul 2015, 11:37

RoJeC wrote:The windows/mac version has more options due to more CPU power and diskspace. This allows for better/more performance.
Android has less features within the OS on audio than win/osx have, so less analysis details are needed.
Also fast access is required as the analysis files are need in the milliseconds a track is loaded, so compressing isn't an option.

Thanks RoJeC,
but why the other DJing programs have not this requirement ?
350kb each song is too much
savedev

Postby DJ Vintage on 28 Jul 2015, 16:43

Sorry to disappoint you, but (for example) Traktor has analysis files (called Stripes) that are about 260kB. It just takes a certain amount of disk space to save all the beatgrid and other information. I think the beatgrid info takes the most space.

Obviously you can choose not to analyse tracks upon import into Cross, but it will do an analysis when you load the track.

You COULD theoretically set the folder with the analysis files to read-only, but then every track would re-analyze upon loading into a deck. I had that happens once to me (the folder was read-only without my knowing it) and it was no fun.

Having said that, let's say your average MP3 is 7 MB, with it comes a 250kB analysis file (most of my Peak Files are between 220 and 300 kB. This is roughly 3,5% of the size of the music file.

Let's say a serious DJ Collection is about 2.000 tracks. That's about 14GB, Peak Files will be about 3.5% of that, i.e. somewhere in the region of 0.5GB for a total of 14.5 GB.

Even the lamest laptop these days (of which you have to wonder if it is suitable for DJ-ing) has a minimum of 350GB hard drive. Let's take away the OS and other programs space and say, conservatively, you have 250GB left. That is good enough for almost 35.000 tracks, a ridiculous amount of tracks for anything but the most seasoned mobile DJ and then a smart one will split his tracks into a core collection and his "request" collection.

In my personal and very humble opinion you are spending energy on an issue that really is a non-issue.

If having a 3.5% overhead on your MP3 tracks is reason to have a problem, you definitely need to upgrade your laptop for example.

Finally, in the old days it was impossible to carry around 2.000 tracks to a gig (on CD's, let alone on vinyl), so we are already very very lucky/spoiled by modern technology.

Hope that helps to get another view on matters and not to worry about pennies but focus on pounds.
DJ Vintage

Postby savedev on 28 Jul 2015, 19:05

DJ Vintage wrote:Sorry to disappoint you, but (for example) Traktor has analysis files (called Stripes) that are about 260kB. It just takes a certain amount of disk space to save all the beatgrid and other information. I think the beatgrid info takes the most space.

Obviously you can choose not to analyse tracks upon import into Cross, but it will do an analysis when you load the track.

You COULD theoretically set the folder with the analysis files to read-only, but then every track would re-analyze upon loading into a deck. I had that happens once to me (the folder was read-only without my knowing it) and it was no fun.

Having said that, let's say your average MP3 is 7 MB, with it comes a 250kB analysis file (most of my Peak Files are between 220 and 300 kB. This is roughly 3,5% of the size of the music file.

Let's say a serious DJ Collection is about 2.000 tracks. That's about 14GB, Peak Files will be about 3.5% of that, i.e. somewhere in the region of 0.5GB for a total of 14.5 GB.

Even the lamest laptop these days (of which you have to wonder if it is suitable for DJ-ing) has a minimum of 350GB hard drive. Let's take away the OS and other programs space and say, conservatively, you have 250GB left. That is good enough for almost 35.000 tracks, a ridiculous amount of tracks for anything but the most seasoned mobile DJ and then a smart one will split his tracks into a core collection and his "request" collection.

In my personal and very humble opinion you are spending energy on an issue that really is a non-issue.

If having a 3.5% overhead on your MP3 tracks is reason to have a problem, you definitely need to upgrade your laptop for example.

Finally, in the old days it was impossible to carry around 2.000 tracks to a gig (on CD's, let alone on vinyl), so we are already very very lucky/spoiled by modern technology.

Hope that helps to get another view on matters and not to worry about pennies but focus on pounds.

Thanks for your vision but with a Tablet this problem exists.
Why VirtualDJ doesn't have analysis files ? How it works ?
savedev

Postby DJ Vintage on 01 Aug 2015, 17:03

I didn't know VDJ actually had a tablet version. I stopped
using VDJ around version 4 or so (many, many years ago) so can't say anything about the current 7/8 versions.

At the end of the every DJ software has to store that info somewhere. Perhaps VDJ sticks it in one database file instead of in seperate files. I doubt they write it straight into the MP3, so that seems out of the question.

Its a good question. Any VDJ knowledgeable person care to shed a light on this one?
DJ Vintage

Return to Suggestions