Duplicates when changing letter case in iTunes

Suggest features and improvements

Duplicates when changing letter case in iTunes

Postby bungholio on 29 May 2015, 21:00

Hi,

I manage my Music via iTunes. I also add new tracks via iTunes. To also make the delta available in Cross DJ, I import the iTunes Music folder. This works fine so far. When I change the name of a track, it creates a new entry and changes the old one to an orphan entry. That is fine so far.
However, when I changed letter case (e.g. from p to P or from u to ΓΌ), Cross creates 2 entries, one for the old writing and one for the new writing.
Please fix this (to either update the entry correctly or recognize the old writing as orphan).
Regards, Peter
bungholio

Re: Duplicates when changing letter case in iTunes

Postby RoJeC on 03 Jun 2015, 16:17

Cross uses the filename as an exclusive identifier.

If you make any change to the filename after adding it to the collection it will considered a new file.

The change you suggest will be impossible to do by nature (as defined in ISO standards).
It would mean that if any 'accent' is removed it should be recognized, whereas this could easily create conflicts with similar named files with a different accent.
At technical level the accent is a 2nd character in the 'real' string value, which is graphically represented as an overlay for the preceding character.

I would recommend to use e.g. MP3TAG to have your tags and filename set before adding to Cross (or iTunes). This program works with many common file types.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby bungholio on 03 Jun 2015, 21:20

Hi Ronald,

thank you for your answer.
I guess there is a misunderstanding. I absolutely agree with you and I understand that the file name is used.
As the name is used as a unique key, it should from my point be unique. In my case it is not!

When I change the name (in iTunes) from "solid rock" to "Solid Rock" iTunes also changes the file name of the MP3 file. Cross DJ creates 2 entries pointing to the same mp3 file. So it is not unique - this is my problem.

From my point of view, when importing the mp3 again, it should create an additional entry "Solid Rock". So I would have one with "solid rock" and one with "Solid Rock".
The entry "solid rock" I would then clean with Cross DJ option "Assign tracks that were not found".
bungholio

Postby bungholio on 10 Aug 2015, 15:51

Hello Ronald,
have you been able to have a look at my comment above?
Please let me know what you think.
Kind regards,
Peter
bungholio

Return to Suggestions