CUE point + AUTO play = BAD

Suggest features and improvements

CUE point + AUTO play = BAD

Postby DjPalo on 04 Sep 2014, 05:50

Hi Cross DJ support forum !

I am a Traktor user, and I recently tried the Demo version of CrossDJ, I have to say I was really impressed by the clean and intuitive interface, and just love the management of files and playlists (just as well I hate it in Traktor).

However, I found two major issues that are preventing me from adopting CrossDJ in place of Traktor.
1) Uploading a track, as well as using the CUE button, I am not placed at the beginning of the track (time 0) but somewhere a bit after. This is annoying and it is a totally different behavior from Traktor

2) Auto play (or automix) has a weird design, using a dedicated folder for the purpose. What is worse, it does not allow to finish the track currently playing before autoplaying the following track. That means that you only have the choice to trunk the song in the middle (that is unacceptable for many types of musics) or you have to wait for the end of the track before starting the automix (that in large part defeat the the very purpose of the automix itself, that is leaving safely the deck whenever you need it)

3) The above issues, combined together, have the big inconvenience that there is no way to automix without clipping the start of each song, since when autoplay is active it is cross-fading from the cue point, that is not at the beginning of the song!

I can see why this is not a problem for many DJs, but sure it is a deal breaker for many others. I dont know Serato, but two "Bigs" like Traktor and VDJ are just perfect in these aspects. I was surprised to find out that a gem like CrossDJ is ruined by the poor implementation of such consolidated and indispensable features.

I really hope the developers will change their mind and fix the above problems. Come on guys, please maintain what is good and consolidated in best selling softwares ! The purpose is doing a better piece of software, not just a different one!
DjPalo

Re: CUE point + AUTO play = BAD

Postby RoJeC on 04 Sep 2014, 08:32

Thanks for trying Cross.

You did find some strong advantages of Cross. By default Cross puts the at the first beat of the beat cycle. For mixing this generally is very convenient.
You can easily put the cue to an earlier position, which may be 0 but often isn't exactly that. Other methods of putting the default cue have been used but arose other imperfections in setting the best cue, just like the other software you mention.

In autoplay any fade time is possible. From 0 to very long. If you adjust the cue for those tracks that don't fit you only have to do that once ever.

As you noticed Cross is different. So please give it some time to get familiar and you likely find it easier to use. You can set cue while playing by using shift-c.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby sweek on 12 Nov 2014, 21:42

This is exactly the function I'm looking for as well. When I was trialing Cross DJ I hadn't analysed my songs yet, and therefore this wasn't an issue. But now it certainly is. It must be a really simple option to add. Do you think you might do this soon?
sweek

Postby RoJeC on 13 Nov 2014, 01:08

All kinds of methods have been used over time. Your suggestion only works if tracks start at the beginning with some volume.

In my opinion the autoplay function shows the benefit of this method as it delivers a constant energy and smooth transition of the beat.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby sweek on 15 Nov 2014, 16:02

RoJeC wrote:All kinds of methods have been used over time. Your suggestion only works if tracks start at the beginning with some volume.

In my opinion the autoplay function shows the benefit of this method as it delivers a constant energy and smooth transition of the beat.

It really depends on the type of DJ'ing you're doing.

I'm mostly working with blues, tango and jazz and playing for dancers. In these genres songs have clear starts and endings, and a little break between different songs is actually very welcome because you want to say thank you and find a new dance partner.

Which is totally different from what 90% of you are doing, but there are quite a few of us and I can think of many others who really like the look of Cross (over say, DJay, which does support this but their support is lacking) It seems like it would be an easy option to add?
sweek

Postby RoJeC on 15 Nov 2014, 16:27

I see where you come from.
The issue however isn't if it can be put back in.

Cross is about generating a smooth and constant flow of music (and video). Features that do not support this by itself are no (longer) present. This avoids, for most users, creating silence or bad transitions.

The good thing is that it supports manual overrule of this and saves your value of choice in the collection.

In the end the devteam decides what comes in, so don't hesitate to ask as if you don't ask it likely won't be changed.
Ronald

RoJeC

Postby sweek on 16 Nov 2014, 02:54

Well I assumed that I had just asked by posting in here - is there another way I should be doing that?
sweek

Postby RoJeC on 16 Nov 2014, 09:53

Just now noticed that the how to isn't mentioned in this post.

When no playback set to the right position and press C or Cue button.
When playing you can use Shift C.
Ronald

RoJeC

Postby kl1172 on 01 Apr 2015, 12:17

Just want to express my support to this thread, I also would like to see the option of making tracks start at the beginning. Rojec, you sound as if this option is very bad for the software.
"It's not good for the flow", I'm sorry but I don't really think that's a good argument If you only should change some kind of setting for autocue from 'on' to 'off'.
Put it in a settingstab, so it can't be clicked on by accident. Default can be automatic cue point as "flow" is the target for this software, but at least give the possibility in one of the settingstabs to make tracks start at the very beginning automaticly.

Or is it that difficult to implement so the software will go haywire (which I don't think it will as others seem to be able to impliment it or even the simplest of audioplayer can handle it flawlessly).

I would like to use mixvibes (because it has a nice iTunes integration and plays most of apples audiofiles) in a rock / metal setting, so for a great part the songs start off at their best at 0:00 and sometimes an intro with low volume can really make that first drum- or guitarriff blast out and make you go "Ah yeah!". It's a different kind of "flow" you see.

That was my 2 cents on this subject, I really think it would add to the software.
kl1172

Postby Maurillo1960 on 01 Apr 2015, 12:49

Hi,

i totally agree with others users about an option to disable auto-Cue function. Every DJ software is written to give an uninterrupted and smooth flow of overlapped music, but many of us deal with other kind of music (i'm a tango DJ) that need to be played from beginnig.
i think you could easy implement an option in settings that totally disable auto-Cue function or set the first Cue point to 0:00.
Maybe you could expand your customers also to Tango DJ.

;)

many thanks

Mauro
Maurillo1960

Next

Return to Suggestions