BEAT GRIDS - Suggestion

Suggest features and improvements

BEAT GRIDS - Suggestion

Postby VDj Sean T on 28 Aug 2014, 10:15

Hi,

I have noticed that if we select a start point to beat grid the track , it only does the 4 by 4 beat grids…. but if the MV team can work in such a way that it chooses the grids automatically for every beat, this would help in tracks that have downbeats etc… Why waste time clicking on each off or down beat, when we can have Cross choose all the beats automatically with a more bold look on the 4th bar… so we can do this on the fly while playing:). It saves the DJ time & we can throw in tracks knowing that all beat grids r covered.

Thanks,
Sean T
VDj Sean T

Re: BEAT GRIDS - Suggestion

Postby FigDJ on 28 Aug 2014, 12:15

Could you post a picture illustrating what you mean? Because when you enable beatgriding all the beats seem to be clearly marked in the deck waveform. Not so much in the beat marker and I agree that stronger markers are needed but at least for the deck waveform they are visible to me.

A picture will go a long way to describe what you would like to see.
FigDJ

Postby VDj Sean T on 28 Aug 2014, 21:17

FigDJ wrote:Could you post a picture illustrating what you mean? Because when you enable beatgriding all the beats seem to be clearly marked in the deck waveform. Not so much in the beat marker and I agree that stronger markers are needed but at least for the deck waveform they are visible to me.

A picture will go a long way to describe what you would like to see.

Hi,

If u take Traktor & choose a start point for beat grids to align for the track, it will mark all the beats ..including the the off beats ( for e.g.. some tracks fall into a dub step in the middle ( which is not the BPM of the track & hence the beatgrids go out of line. But if it could align correctly in front of the beat, we don't need to beatgrid that separately. Basically every beat on the track should mark up perfectly. Take Retro tracks. . . they are not perfect in the grids buy if the software analysis is good, it can do the job perfectly, even if the track is not a perfect 4 by 4.
VDj Sean T

Postby discopex on 29 Aug 2014, 12:26

Sounds similar to beatwarping in Ableton Live right? even that one doesn't usually get it right automatically though (even on straight 4/4) and you need manually edit the warp points.
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby VDj Sean T on 29 Aug 2014, 22:19

discopex wrote:Sounds similar to beatwarping in Ableton Live right? even that one doesn't usually get it right automatically though (even on straight 4/4) and you need manually edit the warp points.

Yep! You got it right :)
VDj Sean T

Postby Stormcaller on 07 Oct 2014, 13:25

Could I add asking for support for time signatures other than 4/4? Some of my music is in 3/4 or compound time, and as well as dealing with drifting tempos in older tracks that predate the use of click tracks. At the moment I ignore the beatgrid completely for tracks like that and just use it to give me a rough guide to BPM but it would be nice to use it.
Stormcaller

Postby discopex on 07 Oct 2014, 13:38

Stormcaller wrote:Could I add asking for support for time signatures other than 4/4? Some of my music is in 3/4 or compound time, and as well as dealing with drifting tempos in older tracks that predate the use of click tracks. At the moment I ignore the beatgrid completely for tracks like that and just use it to give me a rough guide to BPM but it would be nice to use it.

For tempo drifting tracks (disco, funk etc) I add new beatgrids and align them for the parts I need to loop for mixing in/out. :cool:
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Return to Suggestions