On-Screen Visial Representation when limiter kicking in

Suggest features and improvements

On-Screen Visial Representation when limiter kicking in

Postby elationdjs on 28 Jun 2014, 02:39

Pretty self explanatory - can a 'red light' or whatever be shown on the top panel by the VU Meters to show when the limiter is actually limiting and by how much % wise.
elationdjs

Re: On-Screen Visial Representation when limiter kicking in

Postby RoJeC on 28 Jun 2014, 08:40

prewarnings: Quite some volume and red leds in the faders.. It is a protection which should not kick in normally as you'd better use an amplifier to power the signal.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby daniel clark on 28 Jun 2014, 10:05

:cool: not shure exactly why you would want to see this ,, in essence its a safety net ,,
on the U-Mix Control Pro there is a little red led that blinks when you get the gain out of bounds ,, kinda the visual you are looking for ,,
not shure how subtle this feature is ,, try this to see the how it works ,,take a track with auto gain adjusted in one player and a track with the gain level jacked up,, mind you keeping a concern for your sound system ,, play and mix then with limiter on and then do the same with limiter off,, notation the gui visual action of the peak meter leds
with the tracks anylised for gain by the software the levels should be close ,,exceptions being tracks that have extreme level peaks in small areas,,this is where the safety net comes in to play,,,
suggestions as to how you would envision this repensation being set up in the gui :eek: :idea:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby FigDJ on 28 Jun 2014, 13:05

Not sure if you are looking for this indicator in the computer screen or if you use a controller you are looking for the indicator there.

As Daniel mentioned the U-Mix Control Pro 2 has such indicator and it is a mapped indication. What I mean is that if you are using a controller, Cross provides the indicator as a MIDI output and it can be map to any LED in a controller.
FigDJ

Postby BoldFaceType on 30 Jun 2014, 05:00

Sounds like you want an on-screen indicator for when your clipping. IMO what you're asking for is redundant. Yeah, it can be done, but you're ignoring the tools already in place to do this very thing. **Use your ears and the VU meters**. In general *trust your ears* (you'll know it when your clipping), and *don't bang in the red of your VU meters* (don't forget your main VU in upper right next to the "main" gain).

Learn the "old-fashion" way and you'll never have to worry about clipping, in addition to having the ability to adjust your levels correctly in any DJ situation.

Here's another jedi mind trick: tweak the settings on your laptop to "do nothing" when the lid is closed. Close the lid. Now mix your tracks. I know what you're gonna say, and all I can say is: "Luke, trust your feelings."
-BFT
Lenovo ThinkPad T510
- 240GB SSD
- Windows 10 Pro
- SP1 Intel Core i5 m520 @ 2.40GHz,
- 8.00 GB (3.86 GB usable), 64-bit os

Pioneer XDJ-R1
American Audio 14MXR
Technics SL1200 MK2 (Shure M44-7)

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8013)
Apple iPhone 6
U-Mix Control Pro 2 (semi-retired)
BoldFaceType

Postby elationdjs on 01 Jul 2014, 11:15

Hi Guys,

Sorry should have pointed out - This was not for me, just an observation. I was showing another DJ who uses Serato DJ at the moment he was impressed compairing with the current Serato DJ build but his question was does it have a built in limiter, I said yes and that it can be turned off if wanted although not advised. I run a hire company so know all about distortion and peaks but a lot don't. When trying to explain that a PC Sound card is not capable of going over 0DB without producing distortion this fell on deaf ears. I am very happy with how the current situation works it was just an idea based upon what he had said.

Cheers for all the responses though.

John
elationdjs

Return to Suggestions