A Few Suggestions/ Ideas.

Suggest features and improvements

A Few Suggestions/ Ideas.

Postby HawnSolo on 03 Jun 2014, 22:23

After using Cross extensively at home for the last year and having my first gig out with Cross this weekend (everything went great, not a single issue with the software!).

However I have been thinking about the future and have come up with a few suggestions, some that might be easy to implement and others are more just dreams for the future of Cross. Here they are….

1. Save names on locators:

Renaming locators is great, however not very useful for me as they do not save after unloading the track and reloading it.

2. Search key/MIDI command (instead of/in addition to perform secondary action on active browsable):

I currently use the perform secondary action on active browsable command as my search command. For the most part it works well, however when I select anywhere outside of the tracks browser the command no longer functions. I would like to see a command that will search no mater where I last clicked.

3. Edit multiple track tags at once:

Sometime’s when I am doing prep it would be useful to edit multiple tags with the same info.

4. Save audio settings as presets (like key and MIDI presets)

I often use different soundcards with Cross depending on the situation. I think it would be very useful to be able to save the audio settings in the same way I can save a keyboard or MIDI map, that way I don't have to check to make sure everything is routed correctly every time I switch soundcards.

5. Timecode sync link issues:

I have found sync link to be mostly unreliable when using timecode. I almost always have to manually change the master deck.

This is very important to me, as I always try to mix in key and if the master deck isn’t properly displayed I may not get the right key feedback in the browser.

6. Speed pitch mode key feedback:

When using Speed mode on a deck the key becomes greyed out. My idea is to provide key feedback based on the pitch fader. 1 semitone is about 6% of movement on the pitch fader.

7. Loop recorder :

I mainly want this so I can record live played one shot samples and then drop them into an empty sampler slot.

8. Show video FX names when video FX only are enabled:

Not a major deal, but it would be nice if when you are only using video FX, the GUI would display only the video FX names.

9. Video EQ FX & channel fader transitions FX:

This is probably my most complicated suggestion.
What I would like are some sort of Video filters that would be linked to the EQ when mixing internally, or could be MIDI mapped if mixing externally.

It could be something as simple as color filters connected to each frequency band (Highs = Yellow, Mids = Blue, Lows = Red). Basically I want to be mixing the video in the same way I mix audio and not have to even think about it.

Also adding transition FX to the channel faders in a similar fashion, would provide more video mixing possibilities but in a way that any DJ should be comfortable with.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see what the future brings for Mixvibes and Cross! :cool:

-Hawn Solo
HawnSolo

Re: A Few Suggestions/ Ideas.

Postby RoJeC on 03 Jun 2014, 23:19

Nice suggestions.
Some remarks as I think some of what you mention is already there.

1. Locatorsnames not saved is a bug. Used to work.
3. Select multiple tracks. Click Info at right pane. Edit. Apply changes...
4. Previous soundcard is selected on 'number' in list of soundcards presented by the OS at the moment of startup. If you e.g. add a soundcard while playing and the soundcard is sorted by the OS before the selected, the soundcard will change.
6. Pitch is for dynamic use with different ranges as option. Also key can be changed. The sound can be alike, but is way different in method.
7. You can add samples on the fly from deck to sample pad?? Or do you mean something else.
8 +1
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby HawnSolo on 04 Jun 2014, 03:22

Thanks for the info RoJeC!
Being able to edit multiple tags at once will save me quite a bit of time! And it makes sense about the Locator name issue being a bug and I am sure the fix will come soon enough.

In regards to # 4, I use my DJM 850 most of the time. Which has phono inputs on inputs 1/2 and 7/8 (so I use those for timecode input), I use input 3/4 (set to Record Output in the DJM 850 settings) as my aux input in Cross, so I can record my mixes.
I do not use input 5/6.
Then for my output I route deck A to out 1/2 on the 850, and deck B to 7/8. If I am using the C & D decks I route them to 3/4 & 5/6 (therefore my mixer goes ACDB). After the initial set up everything only stays routed correctly if I have my 850 connected before starting Cross.

My issue is that if I am preparing tracks with my internal sound card and then connect my mixer I have to re-route everything to my preferred layout, and reset the buffer. Not a big deal but if it is at all possible for Cross to remember the settings for my DJM 850 it would save me a little bit of time when setting up at a gig or going between prep and practice.

6. I have made a short video and mockup screenshot to demonstrate what I was trying to say about speed pitch mode. I want the key on the deck that is greyed out when a deck is set to speed mode to change as I move the tempo/pitch fader in increments of 6%.
phpBB [video]

Pitch Mode Mockup.png

7. What I want to be able to do is have a sample deck pre loaded with one-shot samples (i.e. a drum kit) and then play a beat or pattern live, record that as a loop and then be able to drop that loop into an empty deck or sample slot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HawnSolo

Postby RoJeC on 04 Jun 2014, 10:34

HawnSolo wrote:Thanks for the info RoJeC!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In regards to # 4, I use my DJM 850 most of the time. Which has phono inputs on inputs 1/2 and 7/8 (so I use those for timecode input), I use input 3/4 (set to Record Output in the DJM 850 settings) as my aux input in Cross, so I can record my mixes.
I do not use input 5/6.
Then for my output I route deck A to out 1/2 on the 850, and deck B to 7/8. If I am using the C & D decks I route them to 3/4 & 5/6 (therefore my mixer goes ACDB). After the initial set up everything only stays routed correctly if I have my 850 connected before starting Cross.

My issue is that if I am preparing tracks with my internal sound card and then connect my mixer I have to re-route everything to my preferred layout, and reset the buffer. Not a big deal but if it is at all possible for Cross to remember the settings for my DJM 850 it would save me a little bit of time when setting up at a gig or going between prep and practice.

I understand your issue. I am not convinced that the solution you propose will be working in real life. Not meaning anything wrong, but if anything is hooked up different than before (swapped channel, other USB, whatever) you (meaning 'others') might get lost in the basics of routing. Maybe within a Cross session it might be easier to do.
6. I have made a short video and mockup screenshot to demonstrate what I was trying to say about speed pitch mode. I want the key on the deck that is greyed out when a deck is set to speed mode to change as I move the tempo/pitch fader in increments of 6%.

I think I understand, but don't think key should be related to speed (as in showing this). Speed you use for the effect of speed with key as a 'side effect'. If you need it for key you could modify key and pitch master tempo.
This is just my opinion on it...
7. What I want to be able to do is have a sample deck pre loaded with one-shot samples (i.e. a drum kit) and then play a beat or pattern live, record that as a loop and then be able to drop that loop into an empty deck or sample slot.

What is holding you from doing this. Record. Goto All Recordings, drag to pad or deck??? Am I missing something in your request??
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Return to Suggestions