3.1.0 Waveforms usability

Suggest features and improvements

3.1.0 Waveforms usability

Postby FigDJ on 26 Mar 2014, 15:20

For now I am stuck in between 2.6 and 3.0/3.1.

I have made several suggestions in regard to the waveform in 3 different ways:
While in Beta, While in RC and as a released version.

According to the RC rules I should not post my suggestions there as the RC is just for bug related post so I am posting here.

I seem to get aknowledgement on my post but yet little to no action and I hate to post negative views but now I have no choice.
But lets start with the positive 1st.

I commented on the waythe deck waveform looks regarding locator markers, the triangle shade for loops, and the waveform vertical size.

On the locator markers
Very visible good job. can't recall right now if they are vertically staggered. If they are not, they really need to be vertically staggered. Overall I think their visibility (which leads to improved usability) is very good to excellent.

The triangle shade for loops
I have commented about this before and I must say that it is now excellent. great job guys.

Now for the negative
The pane used to render the deck waveform was vertically reduced in size from version 2.6 to 3.0 and now 3.1.

Either the pane got reduce and/or the waveform itsefl.
let me be clear..........It is too small...........

The deck waveform looks encroached and too busy. I find myself working in 2.6 for beatgriding shores and then making a copy of the peak file into the analysis directory to get analized for color.

And no, the legacy colored waveform is not a solution. Bottom line the vertical space used to render the deck waveform needs to increase vertically and perhaps the waveform itself.

The beatmatcher

In 2.6 the beatmatcher was very clear. The markers helped delineate the bars, down beats and they even have color highlights at the 16 beat cycle down beat. All that is gone in 3.0 and 3.1 which is a step backwards and renders the beatmacher useless. (This was one of the most important selling points for me.)

The beatmacher went from providing a clear marking for the beats to something that is too busy and small. The spectrum colors being used in the beatmacher are a distraction not an aid.
I don't think that legacy color rendering of the beatmacher is a solution. As the preference in settings changes both the deck and the beatmacher. Perhaps a partial solution would be to render the decks with the choices as they are now (spectrum, legacy, and nexus) but also add the options to render the beatmacher separately with the mentioned options also. Also the markers need to be brighter.

Lastly the beatmacher is now the upper halve of the waveform, zoomed in a little and then rendered across the screen. What is the point? You might as well display the full waveform (upper and lower parts) across the screen to serve as deck waveform and beatmacher at the same time. In my oppinion Serato got that one right, you had a leg up with the beatmacher being simple and clear but now the beatmacher is less relevant.

Just in case, I must mention that I am not color blind or have any visual impediments. I am just stating what in my humble opinion is a problem and hope that Mixvibes fixes what seems to be a step in the wrong direction regarding the waveforms and beatmacher.

Finally, I have seen suggestions to provide a bigger standalone deck with a big waveform to use only for beatgriding. That would be a solution for the beatgriding using deck waveforms.

By the way I illustrated these issues with posted pictures before in the Beta testing section of the forum. Those pictures are now gone. perhaps it happenned with the server upgrade.

Edi: I found the pictures

Deck26v31.JPG

beat26v3.1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FigDJ

Re: 3.1.0 Waveforms usability

Postby versatilebeats on 29 Mar 2014, 19:15

I would love a larger Beatmatcher perhaps a option for max beatmacher that is similar to max playlist but with a large beatmatcher on top of the loading decks.
versatilebeats

Postby FigDJ on 31 Mar 2014, 16:45

I am adding my previous comment that match the number with some edits to reflect the current state.

1. The interface is too busy
- As the vertical size of the waveform strip was reduced the interface icons are now too close together.

2. The locator position
- Great job in providing the option for colored locators they actually look much better in 3.1 than in 2.6. However, they do need to be staggered vertically because if you get them too close together they can’t be seen very well.

3. The reduction in vertical size of the waveform strip/ loop transparency
- Now the beatgrid icons are interfering with the waveform itself. Perhaps the icons interfered a little bit in 2.6 but not as much as they do in 3.1.
- Thank you so much for providing the option for the triangle display on loops. It just need a little adjustment in transparency to be just as good as 2.6.
UPDATE: The transparency of the triangle loop in 3.1.0 RC 2 is perfect.

4. Downbeat and cycle markers not very visible.
- The downbeat and cycle markers in 2.6 were much more visible than they are in 3.1.
- Notice that the end of the loop does not interfere with the downbeat marker being displayed.
- Notice that when a locator is in the same position as a cycle marker or downbeat marker the locator flag now covers the marker.

5. Vertical reduction of waveform strip.
- It has been said that the waveform did not go down in vertical size. That perhaps is true as they are too close to compare. However, the display strip for the waveform did get reduced vertically which makes everything much closer together and encroaching upon the waveform itself. This renders the waveform less usable that the way it was in 2.6.
Notice the space above and below the artwork in 2.6. That space was good enough in fact perfect to keep visibility for the waveform and make it very useful.

This is why I think you have been getting request for a big player for beatgriding. I find myself beatgriding in 2.6 and then copying the peak file to the 3.0 Analyses directory.

The new deck waveform size takes less space on screen but it only amounts to about one and half records in the collection while it makes the waveform (other than color) less effective than in 2.6.
The screen real state gained is minimal and it only amount to about a record and a half (line) for the collection.
FigDJ

Postby djreff on 04 Apr 2014, 17:50

versatilebeats wrote:I would love a larger Beatmatcher perhaps a option for max beatmacher that is similar to max playlist but with a large beatmatcher on top of the loading decks.

please
DJ reff
PC intel PC intel i7 3770k cpu @3.50ghz 8 gig ram mix vibe cross- denon MCX 8000 controller, with more than 40000dance tracks
djreff

Postby FigDJ on 02 Jun 2014, 23:44

No feedback or acknowledgement of any kind from Mixvibes?
FigDJ

Return to Suggestions