DJ Techtools Wrote This !

Suggest features and improvements

DJ Techtools Wrote This !

Postby VDj Sean T on 11 Feb 2014, 20:45

PERFORMANCE - Cross 3

I tested Cross 3 on a MacBook Pro with a 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, and OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion). That machine is less than a year and a half old and comfortably exceeds the minimum system requirements for Cross. The good news is that Cross 3 didn’t exhibit any of the occasional glitches that occurred when using a certain cue point and loop in Cross 2.3. However, using the full extent of Cross 3’s video features can get very processor intensive, so I encourage you to find what your machine can handle with extensive practice before taking it to a show.

During the heaviest use, I had two decks playing videos with separate audio tracks in the same deck, both FX decks playing audio/video effects, a crossfader transition, a titling effect and active sampler decks. A few other programs were also open: Mixed in Key 6, a word processor for this review and Evernote. On one occasion Mixvibes crashed outright, and on another occasion, the software experienced a couple of audio hiccups in succession as I dragged a file from the browser to a deck.

Such occasional problems are no big deal for most software, yet are some cause for concern with a live performance tool. However, I wouldn’t recommend writing off such a good program so quickly. If you’re not using video and want the peace of mind, just go to Video Preference and un-check “Activate Video.” You’ll have the same low processor load as previous versions. And after all, I was testing the 3.0.0 version. Often after a major update there are quick incremental updates for stability, so keep an eye out for that if you’re interested in Cross 3.

I remember telling MV about these things almost 2 Yrs ago & this is the reason i kept pushing MV to change a few things on the software, because i know that someone will eventually write it on a pro DJ website.

Regards,
Sean
VDj Sean T

Re: DJ Techtools Wrote This !

Postby Hannes on 11 Feb 2014, 21:37

I do agree with your point of glitches being no acceptable. period.

But reading the "review" on DJtechtools brings one thing to my mind:

Evernote is an online tool, it is most likely the cause of the glitches.
a review based on "several programs open" shouldn't matter to any live-perfomer or any thinking reader....

Seriously, how can you judge one thing while using 5 others?
June 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

https://soundcloud.com/han-nes-10/fridaybeatdown2ndedition
no support by pm

beta troll

Macbook Pro 13, late 2011, 6GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500
Thudrumble TR-1S, Vestax VFX-1, ESI Maya USB+, Rane SL2
Hannes

Postby VDj Sean T on 11 Feb 2014, 21:52

Hannes wrote:Seriously, how can you judge one thing while using 5 others?

Hannes,

I just copy, pasted what DJ Techtools wrote. But while I perform I have nothing running except Cross DJ and it has crashed on me several times.

1. When I have attempted to run A+V effects on both my decks
2. A lag happens with the waveforms and drop when I load a new track to the deck
3. I know while performing even if I attempt to loop+effect+sample+transition, I have experienced crashes.

I have sent several crash reports also to the team.

I really don't care being bashed. I only wish Mixvibes to be the best.. I want to be loyal to Mixvibes only but sometimes I am tempted to buy Serato due to its less strain on the CPU.

Kindly view all my previous posts, most of which will be due to frustration cause I sometimes had to pack up during live performances and it is embarrassing and humiliating being experienced in the business for 10+ years and having your equipments fail you.

My topmost request to Mixvibes is Re-write your engine to put less strain on the CPU. I have noticed a significant change in CrossDJ 3. I love it. But can't avoid the feeling to expect more from Mixvibes.

Regards,

VDj Sean T
VDj Sean T

Postby UncleVibes on 11 Feb 2014, 21:57

It's a long road but we are still riding on it...
UncleVibes

Postby Jim B on 11 Feb 2014, 22:33

Hannes wrote:Seriously, how can you judge one thing while using 5 others?

Exactly.

VDj Sean T wrote:My topmost request to MixVibes is Re-write your engine to put less strain on the CPU.

Here we go again....
Jim B

Postby RoJeC on 11 Feb 2014, 22:46

It's great he (the author) put it in. Would be worse if he had the issues not using other apps.
Likely every somewhat experienced DJ, oops, VJ (sorry Sean) knows that it is a bad thing to run multiple apps; especially if complementary.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby VDj Sean T on 11 Feb 2014, 23:13

Looks like no one bothered to read thru my full explanation.

DJ TECHTOOLS Had his issues while running multiple apps simultaneously whereas I HAD CRASHING ISSUES when I ran Cross DJ ONLY….

Don't mind me using CAPITALS on certain words… I JUST FEEL LIKE SCREAMING IT INTO THE EARS OF PEOPLE WHO CONVENIENTLY CHOOSE TO IGNORE WHAT I ACTUALLY MEAN!!!!

I FACE THE SAME ISSUES WITHOUT RUNNING ANY ADDITIONAL APPS!!!

* JUST PUT A CPU & GPU METER IN THE SOFTWARE TO SHOW THE RESULTS, then we can all come to a conclusion!! RUN ONLY Cross WITH A+V EFFECTS ON BOTH DECKS, SAMPLES, LOOPS & TRANSITION!!!
VDj Sean T

Postby djphaidon on 12 Feb 2014, 00:16

I read it. Caps don't help your case though.

CPU/GPU meters are always crap in software, cause they (NI et al.) give false CPU readings, or inaccurate readings.

I have had less crashing in Cross than any other program I've used, so I'm not going to jump up and down when it crashes a few times less than what I used to have. I'm going to help fix the problem, and be patient when doing it.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0
A&H Xone:DB4 / A&H Xone:K2 / QuNeo / iPad Lemur
15' MacBook Pro / 16Gb RAM

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Postby VDj Sean T on 12 Feb 2014, 06:05

djphaidon wrote: I have had less crashing in Cross than any other program I've used, so I'm not going to jump up and down when it crashes a few times less than what I used to have.

DJ Phaidon : you might experience "less" crashing and be satisfied but Less is not that great when you are live in front of an audience and not in your home PC trying to prepare or fool around…

well as for the sake of the capitals it is intended for one person who selectively chose one point over the major issue….

IDK about the CPU/GPU meter. Only thought it would make sense to see the levels… in layman's terms…

And thank you for taking the initiative to solve this problem.
VDj Sean T

Postby djphaidon on 12 Feb 2014, 08:26

Just last Friday I had a crash in front of a few hundred people at the club I'm a resident at, so I wouldn't go assuming that my crashes are any less turbulent than your crashes. Any crash sucks, I wasn't trying to downplay them. I was merely saying that, of the software I have used, I have had less issues and crashes with Cross, therefor I am putting on a better show because of it. Doesn't mean crap doesn't happen, and I didn't say I was satisfied with a crash either. We just seem to deal with it differently.

Crashes happen. They happen to international touring DJ's. They happen to "Invincible" CDJ's. And albeit the name, a turntable can take a dump as well. So I'm not going to get all worked up because something that does happen, does.

Here's a difference between Cross and other softwares for you though. Within a day of a submitted crash report, I received the reason. I'm not going to hold MixVibes to that type of timeline, cause it was ridiculous how fast they solved it. However, what I do know is that the developers are working on any crash report and any bug that is found as fast as they can possibly get to it. That's all that can be expected from software, if you take a step back and look at it. I work in software/hardware, and if the average person understood or even had any idea what it takes to get most of the products that they complain about to market, let alone serviced after production, they would probably not complain anymore. Not an excuse, just the complete truth. There is no such thing as a perfect piece of software, so please have come patience with the MixVibes stellar team of developers, cause they are pumping out great things.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0
A&H Xone:DB4 / A&H Xone:K2 / QuNeo / iPad Lemur
15' MacBook Pro / 16Gb RAM

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Next

Return to Suggestions