Channel compression, master EQ, dual mono output

Suggest features and improvements

Channel compression, master EQ, dual mono output

Postby mangoman on 22 Jan 2014, 02:56

Hi guys

1. I would love to have a graphic EQ on the master channel in Cross - something similar to the one in iTunes. It could be a tab in the preferences, with options to enable, reset, pan and save settings.

I know, ideally this should be done using outboard gear, but not every gig is ideal. There's nothing worse than trying to compensate for bad speakers/bad acoustics using the three-band EQs on each channel. It happens more than we'd like to admit, and it sucks.

2. Another thing I think would be handy (but less important) is per-channel compression. Torq 2 had a compressor effect that you could load onto each channel. It was applied pre-fader, and thanks to auto-gain, the amount of compression never seemed to vary too much between different songs. I found it particularly useful was doing live broadcasts.

3. I would love to be able to manually "wire" the audio diagram in the preference pane. For example, I've had a couple of situations where I wanted my master output to be mono (the same identical signal going to two or more speakers), but also wanted my cue channel to have its own stereo output. Some clubs are set up like this, and it would be nice to have the option without needing a splitter cable.

Thanks again for version 3! ALAC support in particular is a big deal for me :).
mangoman

Re: Channel compression, master EQ, dual mono output

Postby RoJeC on 22 Jan 2014, 10:31

I understand most of your issues, but do not think Cross should become an audio studio. Especially working with compressors is a nightmare to many people (once wrong settings).

Whenever I have a setup that does not give the proper sound I put a mini-laptop in between the sound and have an application work on the sound to adjust. I use EnergyXt, running VST plugins that do the jobs you ask for.
My most used are VST plugins of Sir Elliot: 11, 18 or 31band EQ, and compressors(/amplifiers) for various purposes with clear differences and of course all clear sound by low CPU usage.

With the physical routing I would suggest to rely on your splitter cable. Channeling the inside of PC/laptop is not just handled by Cross; even if they create it the way you ask it might be handled different by the OS or driver (or some userfriendly service that does the internal mixing). By splitter cable you are always sure to have split sound independent of your hardware.

Just my thoughts. :confused:
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Re: Channel compression, master EQ, dual mono output

Postby mangoman on 23 Jan 2014, 11:45

Thanks Ronald, you bring up very valid points. I used to rewire Torq into Reaper for that sort of thing. A netbook is a good idea too. Maybe I can find a hardware EQ for a similar price though - preferably something portable I can stick in my bag. The compression isn't a big deal - I can process the signal on my PC at home if I do a broadcast again.

As I say, these are not high priority suggestions - just things I thought DJs would appreciate. I don't think we should dumb software down just because they're for DJs. Digital DJs have a bad wrap as it is.

Thanks for your feedback :)
mangoman

Return to Suggestions