File auto-update

Suggest features and improvements

File auto-update

Postby djphaidon on 10 Nov 2013, 07:17

Hey guys,

So, I have been experimenting with BitTorrent Sync, and I have noticed that the program is really low overhead and very fast to update only those files that have changed. For and example, I went through roughly 500 of my song files, changed the tags, and then synced them to my server. The upload only took about a minute for the differences to be sync'd, over the network.

So, it's clear that the scanning isn't going through every file, but using the "updated since" or other creative workaround. My thought is, have the option to scan a folder for changes, and either add the changes to the library on scan, or update the files that are in the library that have changed. Another way this would also be beneficial is if all library items were scanned for [has library item been updated since last Cross shutdown] if yes [update library item] if no [next item], or something to that effect.

This would solve the problem of having to go through all Cross library items to update the tags manually if you are updating tags from a separate program. It would could also show missing files automatically, because it would be checking for deletions. And, it would add files that have been added to the folder since last Cross launch. The last issue isn't really much of an issue, cause you can drag and drop the folder from the "file" tab into the library, which will accomplish the same thing, however it won't update the file tags.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0
A&H Xone:DB4 / A&H Xone:K2 / QuNeo / iPad Lemur
15' MacBook Pro / 16Gb RAM

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Re: File auto-update

Postby djphaidon on 10 Nov 2013, 07:51

And also, I was looking over the BT Sync API, and it looks like it would be an "easy" way to sync libraries from say, and iPad or iPhone, to any other operating system, including Linux.

Maybe a way to have completely in sync library's or selectively synced libraries across all of the different modes of Cross you run.

Now that I'm brainstorming, possibilities are becoming even more ambitious.

Imagine, have a server at home with a huge collection of tracks, be able to access it from Cross via BTSync anywhere you have an internet connection, or your cell phone. This could be extended to iPad/iPhone app that has limited storage space, where the benefit would be amazing.

Or, have a phone running Cross app, with an emergency set of tracks on it. Or, be able to sync to the phone only tracks with 0 locators, indicating that you haven't played them yet, and be able to update all the information, playlists, locators, and loops from your phone. Which will automatically update to your computer when you open Cross without a need for plugging in, or sync'ing. All auto-pilot. Getting geeky grins right now.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Postby discopex on 10 Nov 2013, 13:27

Have you tried Google Music? you can upload up to 20.000 songs and it has auto update too. I've uploaded my collection there just out of curiosity.
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby djphaidon on 10 Nov 2013, 20:29

The reason why I like the BT sync is because you are in complete control of the tags and format of what you use, and all the files are basically moving between your equipment, not cloud sync. I have used amazon music, google music, and iTunes match, but they all mess with the tags and/or format.

I get what you are saying though, it is nice to have files stored in the cloud. I use Bitcasa to keep a copy of all my music in the cloud. $80 per year, unlimited storage. Accessible anywhere there is internet.

My intent with the BTSync was that it could easily be built into Cross, for use between different instances.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0

djphaidon

Return to Suggestions