Tags

Suggest features and improvements

Tags

Postby djphaidon on 12 Mar 2013, 05:48

Inside CrossDJ, have the ability to have 5-10 different slots of 20 unique tags each. All slots and tags are user definable. Make the tags act like an include or exclude multiple select filter. The tags save inside the mp3 tags to a user definable spot, with the ability to save to Group, Comments, Comments 2 that is in the ID3 standard, or to the user library without saving to the tag.

Tags are defined by the user in a settings tab per column or type. Multiple tags can be selected for each slot, but the tags cannot be identical in different slots. IE, two slots can't have a "Banger" tag, only one can.

The location and selection area would be an icon like the 3 tree browser, that would open up an area that has selections for an include or exclude multiple select filter. Each tag can be included or excluded, with multiple tags in each slot able to be selected. Tags don't reset when changing playlists, so the filter stays through all your collection until you change it.

Below is an example using 5 slots
Time
Warmup
Early
Peak
Afterhours

Bass
Hard
Rolling
Soft
Synth

Mood
chill
driving
deep
hard

Vulgarity check
Explicit
Clean
Suggestive

Crowd
Popular
College
Underground
LGBT
Older
Younger

How it would help:
I find myself labeling a lot of things to help me find them easier. However, I don't follow a specific logic all of the time, so things get crazy confused and different song tags follow different rules. If there were a way to define categories, and the way to sort them by only defined tags, then categorization and organization of music would be a lot simpler and quicker. Similar to color organization, but with more detail and more customization.

Each tag can be included or excluded, so that if you want to play a high school dance that doesn't want explicit material, you can exclude filter that out of any playlist you want quickly. Or, if you are playing a warmup set, and then get slotted for the afterhours set cause a DJ didn't show but didn't have a set prepared, then all you have to do is exclude what you don't want, and include what you do, and you have a pretty good list of what makes sense to play.

There are several programs that have tried this, but don't integrate well into DJ software, or into the ID3 tagging standard. Examples are Trainspotter, Beatunes, RapidEvolution, and Jaikoz (with user tags).

I believe that MixVibes could get this right, cause the track browser is far more advanced that others currently are. This could also be a huge step in suggesting tracks in future versions, cause as much as it pains me to say it, all of the major softwares are dipping into suggestions for the next play. If things are going this way, I at least want to have control over what's being suggested, and this is a usable solution.

Ran out of time for clarification of my idea, but as a rough idea, here it is.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0
A&H Xone:DB4 / A&H Xone:K2 / QuNeo / iPad Lemur
15' MacBook Pro / 16Gb RAM

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Re: Tags

Postby Support@MixVibes on 13 Mar 2013, 12:52

Not that bad, not that easy... :lol:
Support@MixVibes

Postby djphaidon on 13 Mar 2013, 19:28

Ohh I know it wouldn't be easy from the coding side, but I think it's a great idea :D

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Postby Support@MixVibes on 14 Mar 2013, 12:43

Indeed. :twisted:
Support@MixVibes

Postby Hannes on 14 Mar 2013, 13:46

you forgot: ass-shaking, the most important of all :mrgreen:
June 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

https://soundcloud.com/han-nes-10/fridaybeatdown2ndedition
no support by pm

beta troll

Macbook Pro 13, late 2011, 6GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500
Thudrumble TR-1S, Vestax VFX-1, ESI Maya USB+, Rane SL2
Hannes

Postby discopex on 14 Mar 2013, 23:48

I guess one big issue would be making it platform independent i.e. to meet the mp3 tag standard. Otherwise you'd need to revise Cross DJ database to include this extra info (which would again be lost when using another mp3 players/tagging apps). I quickly dug around the internet for multiple genre/genre sub categories and found there's no 100% working solution. Example link on the subject
http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-ma ... s-in-mp3s/
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby djphaidon on 15 Mar 2013, 06:56

It could be in a user tag, or a special tag. The ID3 standard is exactly opposite a standard, as you have pointed out because nobody uses it how the standard is written. Multiple taggers and DJ softwares tag stuff for only that programs use, and think that would work fine in this case. I'm not trying to suggest an improvement to make Cross a tagging program, I'm trying to get organization of tracks better than what we currently have, which is all that everyone currently has with a few caveats. Also, most tagging programs and players don't overwrite tag info unless specifically told to, and then it's only the fields that are indicated, not all fields written. They only look for the tag fields that they intend to read also, which is why you can have a comments 2 field filled in in traktor, and have it not show up anywhere else, but the BPM changes between programs.

Just to clarify, I didn't originally think that the tags thing would be used for genres. However, if a tag was implemented right, it could act like a sub genre label if you only had a few sub genres to tag. Or, if the tags were unlimited. If the tags were unlimited though, it would put the organization back into where the information already held in the ID3 system is already at. I can type in any sub genre or combo of words in the group or comments block, no biggie. The problem is, there is no limits, no bounds, and that's bad for organization.

depending on how you setup the genre tag, you could have genre / sub genre and multiple genres as well. Only thing is, your genre tags would be crazy confusing and you would have to search by the text contained in, instead of for, a specific genre.

Example

House / Tech / Progressive
House / Tech / Electro
House /

You just have to keep it uniform, and you can tag multiple anything all day.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0

djphaidon

Postby Hannes on 15 Mar 2013, 10:18

Personally i think everything "more special" should be handled in the peak/db files.

I already had 1/2 my m4.a-files destroyed by improper tag-writting from a certain german DJ-app...I'm a burnt child :eek:

Tbh i think Torq´s system of .tqd-files was the way to go.
Even if this means tagging for each software and more hdd-storage needed, it is a safe thing.

no support by pm

beta troll

Hannes

Postby Support@MixVibes on 15 Mar 2013, 12:29

j-kut wrote:Tbh i think Torq´s system of .tqd-files was the way to go.
Even if this means tagging for each software and more hdd-storage needed, it is a safe thing.

This was one of the things I was hating the most with Torq.

A work around for this, would be (for each one) to use tags that he doesn't use/fill ordinary. By this way no need to add new column into the db and inflat the files.
Support@MixVibes

Postby Hannes on 15 Mar 2013, 12:50

really? at first I didnt like it too, but when you have 50% of you library destroyed because of poor tag/code-writing you prefer your files virgin-like, i.e. untouched :lol:

Offtopic.HorsSujet!
I spent 3 weeks rebuilding my library and about 60-80 mails with Apple´s Support and the farmers...absolute nightmare, if something like that happens again, I swear I'll kill the responsible developer :twisted: there are still 350-40 vinyl-rips that were 320-m4.a that are lost forever for me, as I sold them after ripping... :(

no support by pm

beta troll

Hannes

Next

Return to Suggestions