Lets lobby for Linux Cross

Suggest features and improvements

Re: Lets lobby for Linux Cross

Postby John Wo_O on 18 Jan 2012, 22:46

Blackbrook wrote:
+ You can grab a distribution, shrink it down to the the bare necessities and build a dedicated operating system in which everything is build in, installed and configured. Installation works as every other linux distribution and afterwards it might be plug & play (controller and/or timecode)

Steve

I'm late but I'm with all the +1s here

The above described by Steve would be fantastic of course but my concerns are regarding the legal status of a linux version if MV ever wanted to sell it.
John Wo_O

Postby UncleVibes on 18 Jan 2012, 23:28

There aren't any problem we don't sell linux but mixvibes. There are plenty of legal possibilities...
UncleVibes

Postby Blackbrook on 19 Jan 2012, 12:50

UncleVibes wrote:There aren't any problem we don't sell linux but mixvibes. There are plenty of legal possibilities...

So there are/have been team internal discussions about porting Cross to Linux? Even if there is/was a discussion it is a success :)
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby UncleVibes on 19 Jan 2012, 17:28

We did more than a discussion, we did a private beta and yes it works.
No decision to launch it is made up today. Linux audio features need more dev (os side)
UncleVibes

Postby KevMaverick on 19 Jan 2012, 18:18

The news that a private beta has been tried is encouraging.

I agree also, that the audio in Linux needs more work - just ONE audio standard needs to be adopted and developed fully. Currently it is very difficult to understand the various audio systems on Linux... :(

It would be great to have a decent, professional-standard DJ program on Linux though. I can think of only two programs that even try to perform this function, and to be honest, I wouldn't trust either of them in a live performance situation. I think that it's the lack of a truly stable, professionally produced program that's stopping many DJ's from using Linux, which is a shame, as distros like Ubuntu have become so stable and reliable.

It's just disappointing that the lack of a standardised, efficient audio system, is holding the serious developers back. :(
Summer is here! Only 4 things we need - cold beer, hot ladies, loud music, and more cold beer!

March 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

HP Pavilion dv6
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5-2450M
6 GB DDR3 ram
750Gb sata hd
Dual graphics Intel & Radeon
Beats Audio sound system
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
KevMaverick

Postby UncleVibes on 19 Jan 2012, 18:56

I can say "0ff the record" that windows suffers also of missing audio developments... Why windows needs drivers when mac don't. There is no evidence that windows 8 will be better for our DJ needs. I hope to be wrong.
We spend a lot of time with bad drivers surprises...
Let's lobby for a new windows! :biggrin:
UncleVibes

Postby BennyB on 19 Jan 2012, 20:07

+1
April 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

aka. Ben

"...Music Is The Answer To The Problems..."

FOUNDER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
!!!Sampler Fi!!!
Helping MIXVIBES FORUM being an awsome place
since 2011!

MixVibes People!!! UNITE!!!
BennyB

Postby Blackbrook on 19 Jan 2012, 20:25

UncleVibes wrote:We did more than a discussion, we did a private beta and yes it works.
No decision to launch it is made up today. Linux audio features need more dev (os side)

According the drivers which windows needs and Mac does not I can say that my U46 is working out of the box at my Ubuntu system over here. With jack (!) I can use it although using jack requires knowledge (even more than a bit). Nevertheless if you can manage to use Linux with Cross and jack as audio service "everything should be fine", trying to say: it should work without problems. I have tried to configure mixxx with jack and the only thing which was missing was the right timecode record because mixxx does not know mixvibes timecode. Just a proof to underline that it can work ;)
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby UncleVibes on 19 Jan 2012, 21:19

It works but not plug and play. That's it
UncleVibes

Postby Blackbrook on 19 Jan 2012, 21:55

and plug & play is the company's philosophie, right? That means as long as it is not plug & play it will not be realized?
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions