Lets lobby for Linux Cross

Suggest features and improvements

Re: Lets lobby for Linux Cross

Postby UncleVibes on 19 Sep 2011, 20:04

I can see the quality of all demands for Cross linux. The original meaning of Cross is good for all OS as Windows, Mac and of Course Linux. So let's go and compile it a couple years later. Just do it as said my friend Nike.
UncleVibes

Postby pundy on 20 Sep 2011, 10:05

Normally I'm all for Linux ports. However, with the limited resources that the MixVibes team has, I'd much rather see their time go towards cool new features and fixing issues in currently supported platforms.

Just my 2c
Pundy.
pundy

Postby UncleVibes on 20 Sep 2011, 11:15

I noticed that 2 developers lobby for Linux in this topic. I don't rule anything about the R & D of Mixvibes.
Linux & Cross is a redundant question years after years on this forum, the desire may be there but the answers mostly taste as trolls.
UncleVibes

Postby daniel clark on 20 Sep 2011, 11:46

UncleVibes wrote: the desire may be there but the answers mostly taste as trolls.

following the topic unc,, :?: :?: but what is the orgin of this statment,,, :?: :?: never heard of this :?: :?: (maybe off topic)
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby UncleVibes on 20 Sep 2011, 12:00

pundy wrote:Normally I'm all for Linux ports. However, with the limited resources that the MixVibes team has, I'd much rather see their time go towards cool new features and fixing issues in currently supported platforms.

Just my 2c
Pundy.

This is the voice of reality "limited ressources"

When I wrote "the desire may be there but the answers mostly taste as trolls" it must be offtopic :frown:
UncleVibes

Postby lilin on 20 Sep 2011, 12:03

UncleVibes wrote:the desire may be there but the answers mostly taste as trolls.

Developers don't decide where mixvibes should invest its workforce.
It's not a troll but a real interest.
lilin

Postby daniel clark on 20 Sep 2011, 12:06

:cool: not saying you were off topic just looking for understanding /orgin off phrase, :?: :?: meaning :?: trolls leaving bad taste in mouth :?: :?: got long winded again :mrgreen: just curious
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby UncleVibes on 20 Sep 2011, 12:18

Developers don't decide where mixvibes should invest its workforce.

I hope this real interest can be more than a project for an unknown future & that you can deal with the Boss about it with the best arguments. Good Luck! :cool:
UncleVibes

Postby Blackbrook on 20 Sep 2011, 12:51

lilin wrote:Developers don't decide where mixvibes should invest its workforce.

This are very true words!!! In fact I would like to have a linux version of Cross, but there are some points that show me that this will be very hard and others that show that it might be a good way_

- Linux market share (old chart but comparable) is too low so that the mixvibes boss may profit from developing and selling this product

- You need more knowledge than any windows or Apple user needs for example when it comes to using jack and the jack server for real time audio. I am not quite sure if you can build an installer which automatically install and configures jack or if building a script is that easy

+ The first scratch software developed was based on a linux distribution - guess why ;)

+ You can grab a distribution, shrink it down to the the bare necessities and build a dedicated operating system in which everything is build in, installed and configured. Installation works as every other linux distribution and afterwards it might be plug & play (controller and/or timecode)

If you break down every "problem" in this world it all ends up at the money and this is the highest hurdle for this idea/project/call it what you want. As UncleVibes and lilin already said: the boss has to profit from this and if so this might come reality.

Cheers,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby MrMinotaur on 20 Sep 2011, 14:10

Dear All,

Thanks for generating such interesting feedback with regard to this thread!

I hope the likes of Ubuntu and Fedora keep on making strives in the market so that we can all benefit from safer and cheaper ways of computing, but also that more and more profit orientated businesses can develop high quality consumer software.

It seems to me that the aforementioned operating systems are becoming increasingly popular, for example I'm a real novice with programing etc but I'm able to learn and use Ubuntu with great ease and with preference over windows. I know more and more people using it from wider circles.

Especially with the importance of live music Linux is an option for the serious artist because of the amount of flexibility and reliability created, that said with the likes of MIXXX and I'm sure other ideas on development of software which can provide much of the same functions it is likely that in time, through development could indeed be market leaders.

All of these decisions strike a balance between the popular and the ideal. As the power is handled by our commercial director friend it is most definitely learning towards not being done - the ideal for him/her is cash and the popular for the consumer is what they have been forced to use by what ever means. Therefore both lean towards only developing things for a Mac Windows world.

If I am wrong and business development is suspicious of open source intervention then they might accordingly involve a wider community for using Cross, however with the advancements of wine and other virtual operating systems and continuous improvement in computing power is this really effective reasoning to program the thing all over. It might be cheaper and more effective to pay a developer to create a good walk through for using Cross on an emulator...

I hope so. That said does anyone know the best way to make Cross playable on wine, I'm having LED and Headphone difficulties.

Not being a professional artist, something with basic functions is enough me for the moment - I want to spin tunes, make some fun mixtapes and improve a secret hobby.
MrMinotaur

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions