NETBOOK DVS Ultimate w/ vinyl configuration

Post your tips and tutorials here
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

NETBOOK DVS Ultimate w/ vinyl configuration

Postby analytic on 06 Aug 2010, 07:17

Public service announcement:

I just spent the last hour-and-a-half mixing records on my ASUS n10j netbook (atom n270) using the U-Mix 44 + vinyl with no real problems, both with and without master tempo enabled. Needless to say I am very pleased with the performance of the system.

Settings below, for anyone who might want to try this on a similar netbook:

ASIO Buffer size = 512,
Skin = simple,
GUI priority = low,
eq bypass = on,
load time = normal

Everything else was set to the system default. The only thing that didn't work perfectly was back-cuing with MT turned on; there was a little slop in the timecode tracking but nothing bad enough to keep me from mixing successfully. I didn't try out the effects; I'll do that next time and post my results in this thread.

Cheers!

Taylor
analytic

Re: NETBOOK DVS Ultimate w/ vinyl configuration

Postby Blackbrook on 06 Aug 2010, 09:23

Hm...bought a netbook for work at the university, but reading this I have to think about it :D Specs are nearly the same ... :) :mrgreen:
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby Support@MixVibes on 06 Aug 2010, 11:35

:eek: wow...
Support@MixVibes

Postby analytic on 06 Aug 2010, 18:42

More info about my system:

Asus N10J running Windows XP sp3
Atom N270 (Diamondville) @ 1.6Ghz
Intel i945GSE chipset
533 MHz FSB
2GB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA GeFORCE 9300M GS graphics w/ 512MB of RAM

I'm not sure how the discreet graphics card affects DVS 7 performance, but I tested the system with the graphics turned ON, wifi turned OFF, and killed everything in the system tray that I didn't absolutely need open.

Which brings me to my only criticism: I had to run the software in 1024x768 graphics mode in order to fit everything on the screen during the setup phase, which not every netbook supports. DVS needs to bundle a slim, stripped-down, 1024x600 skin for netbook users, and the pop-up windows in the menus need to be sized such that all the buttons can be pressed in 1024x600 mode. This shouldn't require much in the way of programming and would potentially bring a number of netbook users on-board with the DVS system.

Your individual mileage may vary, obviously, so I'd like to know if others have had good luck running DVS 7 on netbooks, and what kinds of machines you are using, and whether or not you are running Windows 7. I think the netbook-friendly angle is something Mixvibes could better exploit in its marketing, assuming more people are able to make successful use of the software. THIS NEEDS TO BE A TARGET SYSTEM FOR DEVELOPERS!

Cheers,

Taylor
analytic

Postby sensei on 18 Aug 2010, 13:44

Hi,

I'm also running DVS 7 with an eeepc and U46MKII + vinyl and though I'm still testing it to see if my setup is stable enough to take it to a gig i must say that i'm very pleased with the results so far.

The only issue i have is sometimes the sound gets a litlle strange for 1 or 2 seconds, but with no clicks and pops it's more like slight variations in pitch.

I noticed that you have 2GB RAM and i only have 1GB. Maybe i will upgrade to 2GB but i would like to be certain that there's a clear benefit in doing that.

I run it on a windows 7 partition optimized for audio and with only the bare essentials. No wifi, no antivirus, no firewall, etc.

Cheers
sensei
sensei

Postby UncleVibes on 19 Aug 2010, 08:49

I noticed that you have 2GB RAM and i only have 1GB. Maybe i will upgrade to 2GB but i would like to be certain that there's a clear benefit in doing that.

If with Windows 7, just do it & get a new feeling with the same computer.
UncleVibes

Postby sensei on 19 Aug 2010, 10:31

UncleVibes wrote:

If with Windows 7, just do it & get a new feeling with the same computer.

Just what i wanted to hear!! :D
I'll do it and post the results.
sensei

Postby sensei on 21 Aug 2010, 18:35

sensei wrote:The only issue i have is sometimes the sound gets a litlle strange for 1 or 2 seconds, but with no clicks and pops it's more like slight variations in pitch.

Hey guys,
just realized that what's causing this variation in pitch is actually my turntable, not mixvibes!
The pitch slider is malfunctioning when it's near the center :(
sensei

Postby sensei on 27 Aug 2010, 15:25

ok ppl,
just upgraded my eeepc ram to 2GB and i'm glad to say that mixvibes runs like a charm! I can't wait to take it on a gig!

Here's my setup:

Asus EeePC 1.66Ghz 2GB RAM
windows 7 starter partition optimized for audio
Mixvibes DVS 7 with all the default settings
U46MKII
timecoded vinyl

There's only one problem but it doesn't bother me at all:
whenever i start mixvibes i always hear a "bzzzt" kind of sound when i do the first 2 or 3 backspins on the first track that i load.

But it's really *only* on the first song and the first backspins!

So to all you eeepc owners: mixvibes rules :)
sensei

Postby barren fell on 06 Sep 2010, 11:03

I can confirm that DVS and also Cross do work properly with external vinyl control on a Atom 270 netbook as well as on my old Pentium Mobile 1.4 MHz.
These two MixVibes apps do not waste much CPU time, but this is also true for Torq, Dex, Deckadance, and VirtualDJ - and should be common for well developed DJ apps (only Traktor is very hungry and does not run properly on netbooks - just my experience ;) !).

I did a lot of "research" regarding this object, and I learned that for "low performance hardware", like netbooks, CPU time consumption depends heavily and mainly on latency settings!!!

You are running the app with 512 samples buffer, which is about 12ms! To me - only mixing - this is no problem at all and a fine solution. But scratchers will not be satisfied; they ask for 3ms (128 samples) and below (I do not know if this is just posing ;) since I'm a lousy scratcher). Just try 128 or 64 samples with a A270-netbook, you'll see...

-------------------------------
Back to research. Evaluating a whole bunch of CPUs I found that the PassMark benchmark is a good orientation (I'm not related in any kind to this company ;)) to compare DJ apps.

A rule by thumb - just reflecting my experiences and to give an orientation

1. Given that you have 1 GB of RAM every CPU above 300...350 points (?) is sufficient for mixers and does not force sweating :D.

2. To run smoothly at very low latencies (1,5...3ms) one must look for a CPU with a rating above 800...900 - which is today even a low cost notebook :cool:
2 x DualCore E6300, 4GB, Win 7 Ultimate 64
DualCore E5300, 2GB, Win 7 Ultimate 32
2 x Notebook, 2,4 GHz, 4GB, Win 7 Ultimate 64
3 x Netbook, Atom 1,6GHz, 2GB, Win 7 Ultimate 32
DJ-Apps
Numark Cue/Virtual DJ, Torq, Deckadance, PCDJ Dex/djDecks, Touch DVS, Cross, DVS Ultimate, Traktor Scratch Pro, Spin 2, Fruity Loops Producer
Interfaces
Audio 8 DJ, Omnitronic DDI 4x4, 2 x Maya 44 USB, Hercules DJ Console, M-Audio Conectiv, Virtual Vinyl Box, AmericanAudio VersaPort, U-Mix 44, 2 x Spin 2
Mixers
Behringer DDM 4000, DJX700, Numark DM 2002, Omnitronic DJ25, Behringer VMX-300
Turntables
2 x Stanton STR8-20 ;) , 2 x Stanton 500
2 x Numark TTX USB, 2 x Ortofon DJ
2 x Technics 1200, 2 x Ortofon Pro S
2 x Sync X.Trem 1, 2 x Ortofon Scratch
barren fell

Next

Return to Tips & Tutorials