[Tutorial] Smartmixing MixVibes into Ableton Live

Post your tips and tutorials here
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: [TUT] Smartmixing MixVibes into Ableton Live

Postby ko1N on 21 Nov 2008, 22:18

Patch wrote:I already route the output of Mixvibes into Ableton the old fashioned way, ie - using cables from my DJ mixer. Does this do anything that I cannot already using cables and audio routing?

Good question, I just love to have everything in one box without so many cables and on top of that it's always a question of latency... isn't it?

Best regards
ko1N

Postby mojster_jaka on 25 Oct 2009, 11:15

can someone do this tutorial for macs also?

i'm new to ableton, my version is 7 and the audio setup looks a little different and the jackdmp program is totally different.
for a mac the program is jackpilot and i don't see any command line here to enter commands to start with the u46mk2 driver. i can only start jackpilot (i don't know with which soundcard it starts, and there's no option of sample setting and all of this) and then i have the routing section, but it all looks strange to me.

EDIT: ok, i've finally got a little grip to this program after looking hard, but i still have a problem i can't seem to get around. no matter how i try, i always get only 2 input and 2 output sources in the settings of my Cross audio software. i can see in my JackRouter settings that i have 4 ins and 4 outs connected in the right way, but whenever i go to Cross audio settings and when i select JackRouter as my soundcard, it constantly gives me only 2 ins and 2 outs instead of 4 of both like i have routed.

EDIT2: alright, i figured that out now too. gonna go on trying to make this work now.
mojster_jaka

Postby mojster_jaka on 25 Oct 2009, 15:27

alright, i managed to get the routings and everything connected with ableton, but can somebody tell me how to get rid of this high pitched noise from the vinyl?

when i route everything through ableton i again get that time code signal noise in tracks, which isn't there when mixing only with Cross.
what am i missing here?

EDIT: ok, i think made it happen from what i can gather. FINALLY!

somehow i realised that i have to route all the stuff i previesly had BACK to the Cross software again to make the timecode sound dissapear and only play the sound of the track playing.

so it's like basically like this: i routed Cross into ABLETON, then routed ABLETON into the soundcard (i.e. "system") and then the SOUNDCARD back into Cross again.

so right now both of my vinyls are playing, i also tried some effects in ableton and i guess it works. unless there is some sound anomaly that i haven't managed to hear, i got the setup working.

sheesh, you sure learn alot doing things this way, i'll tell you that.

if anyone would be interrested (or just plain old stupid like me) i can probably try to explain everything more precisely if the windows tutorial doesn't give you what you needed. and perhaps a link to another tutorial will help, like it did me. it's for traktor, but mixvibes isn't much different. and the best part, it's for macs.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/05/16/s ... ton-4-mac/

i think you won't need to set 10 outputs and 8 inputs if you have Cross, but you can just use 4 of both like i have.

if you still don't manage to get it working, i can help.
mojster_jaka

Postby dj_cross_fade on 25 Jan 2010, 12:14

jack dont seem to download for me :(

ok gpt it to open with winrar but it wont read my rme sound card
i stream my mixes and Gameplay at http://www.hitbox.tv/MediaHeadzTv
at Hitbox.tv you get no copy right strikes and im working on making a DJ community there
dj_cross_fade

Postby Patch on 28 Jan 2010, 01:11

I can't get this working for the life of me. When I load up Jack, I only get TWO capture devices - shouldn't there be 4? I'm using a U46DJMK2 (exactly the same as in the TUT).

Can this be done using control vinyl? Being able to use control vinyl to scratch audio and Ableton Live to add effects would be AWESOME!
Pentium 4HT Laptop, 1Gb Ram, XP Pro, Mixvibes DVS, Ableton Live, UC-33e, Rolls MP80 Pedal, SP-202, DM2, DJM 600s, 2xTechnics 1200s, Vestax PMC 07 ProD, Motu Ultralite, U46DJ.
Patch

Postby phadedvision on 28 Jan 2010, 03:28

Patch wrote:I can't get this working for the life of me. When I load up Jack, I only get TWO capture devices - shouldn't there be 4? I'm using a U46DJMK2 (exactly the same as in the TUT).

Can this be done using control vinyl? Being able to use control vinyl to scratch audio and Ableton Live to add effects would be AWESOME!

I've found that Virtual Audio Cable (which you need a couple bucks for) is much simpler to use. Control vinyl with Ableton causes a considerable amount of latency, however.
phadedvision

Postby Patch on 28 Jan 2010, 21:52

Tried VAC - can only get 1 input into ableton...
Pentium 4HT Laptop, 1Gb Ram, XP Pro, Mixvibes DVS, Ableton Live, UC-33e, Rolls MP80 Pedal, SP-202, DM2, DJM 600s, 2xTechnics 1200s, Vestax PMC 07 ProD, Motu Ultralite, U46DJ.
Patch

Postby vega on 09 Feb 2010, 17:11

Hey , i downloaded jack 1.9.4 and i try to configure it but it's too hard for me
Somebody can help me?
I follow the instruction it's ok for the first step to see all my devices
But after i am lost ...
vega

Postby techouse on 18 Feb 2010, 14:20

I'd like to use Ableton Live with Cross and tried this conf :
Cross + Asio4all + VAC + Live.

My purpose is to use Live as a super DJ mixer.

It sounds working, but I don't if it is relevant, and effective...

Any opinion before I spend many euros ?

thanks.
techouse

Postby techouse on 26 Feb 2010, 11:12

Good news :
On my Quad core on Windows XP, it seems to work. :)

So first, these conf didn't work for me : :twisted:
- directwire on U46mk2 : lost time
- rewuschel, the rewire thing of asio4all : only one stereo channel visible in ableton live and I didn't get it working

Then the working test solution : :mrgreen:
- I removed original ESI drivers
- I installed Asio4all
- I installed trial Virtual Audio Cable

In Cross :
- Use the audio input of the sound card for the turntables
- Use the virtual cable as output

In Ableton Live :
- Use the virtual cable as input in an audio channel
- Configure Live as your dream mixer (multi-channels with effects and samplers and crossfader)
- Use the audio output of the U46mk2 for the master output
- Use the motherboard soundcard for the Cue (headphones)

My limitations :
- Latency in Cross limited to 11,6ms : Is it too bad ? How can I change it ?
- After on hour : I got "robot" noises in outputs : any ideas ?
- NO MIDI SYNC between Cross and Ableton Live : so there is no use of the main features of live : no quantization, no pitch with audio inputs : so there is less interest in using Live... :neutral:

To be continued...
techouse

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tutorials