MIDI soft takeover not working

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

MIDI soft takeover not working

Postby dnine on 15 Apr 2019, 21:32

Hi,

I'm MIDI mapping a Behringer CMD PL-1 and noticed that the soft takeover for the pitch fader is not working. This control sends a high resolution (10-bit) PW (Pitch Wheel) message.

If I use an simple low resolution (7-bit, so a range of 0 to 127) fader on the CMD MM-1 then soft takeover works as expected.

Is this a know issue and/or is there a fix or workaround?

Regards,
Lieven
Last edited by dnine on 15 Apr 2019, 21:58, edited 2 times in total.
dnine

Re: Soft takeover not working

Postby dnine on 15 Apr 2019, 21:35

I just restarted Cross (3.4.3) and now I have the issue with the 7-bit fader as well!

Removing the mapping and adding it again works for that session (I also see the ghost image of the pitch moving and only picking up when hitting the takeover spot).

Restarting Cross and it no longer works!

Edit: just found out that simply going to the MIDI settings page and closing the settings screen reinstates the correct behaviour, so that is a workaround.
Edit2: the workaround is not working when there is a channel switch (i.e. on this controller a deck switch button cycles through 4 channels to have the single controller control up to 4 decks).
Using a custom mapping without this channel switching (using Shift logic instead) + the preferences screen opening trick, seems to be a quite painful workaround...

Any chance for a fix on Cross 3.4.x? Will this work in Cross 4 (Pro)?
Last edited by dnine on 15 Apr 2019, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
dnine

Re: MIDI soft takeover not working

Postby FigDJ on 16 Apr 2019, 14:46

There is a way.
You must use 16bit MIDI tables at the beginning of your mapping to reserve the memory for high resolution knobs.

I am not in front of my DJ computer right now but when I get home I will research how I overcame that bit of obstacle and send you an example tomorrow.

Also it would be helpful for you to find out the syssex code for your controller. This code is used in MIDI mapping to query the state of the controller upon starting Cross. In combination with the 16bit MIDI tables it should work.

As mentioned, I would look for an example and send it to you tomorrow.
FigDJ

Return to Community Support